1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Poll: Should I down rate front seaters?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by MadTownUberD, Aug 3, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    84.8%
  1. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm talking about when there's only one or two riders, yet someone sits in the front seat. Since a lot of you dislike that, should I be giving riders who do it less than 5*? In theory this should help my fellow drivers.

Obviously cash tippers are exempt.

jgiun1 likes this.
  2. Christinebitg

Christinebitg Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I voted "no" because I prefer it. It's easier to have a conversation.

But then there was the guy who felt the need to touch my phone. About the nicest thing I could say to myself is that he thought he was being helpful. :(

Christine

Highdesert420, Scott.Sul and jgiun1 like this.
  3. CJfrom619

CJfrom619 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Cmon bro? Really? A rider can sit anywhere with a seatbelt in my car. I certainly won’t hold it against them.

4. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    I have no problem with it either and I usually prefer it for the sake of conversation. But the purpose of rating is to help other drivers since you may not ever see that person again. So I want to know how many people really really want to avoid front seaters... Or is it just a minor annoyance that people like to complain about.

jgiun1 likes this.
  5. MaddMattG

MaddMattG Active Member

Young women traveling alone almost always sit up front. More than one have told me they feel like they're being rude if they sit in the back. While I personally don't care where you sit - when asked I say "wherever you're comfortable" - I'd never downrate someone for trying to be polite!

6. Christinebitg

Christinebitg Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have said "anywhere but in the driver's seat."

7. MaddMattG

MaddMattG Active Member

**** I never even thought about that one. I'd love to be driven around some time!

8. Seamus

Seamus Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I would never down rate a rider for that. Don't worry about other drivers who don't like it. The driver's who don't like it should have the backbone to tell them "no", sit in the back. Generally I don't mind at all HOWEVER you have to judge each rider. If someone gets in my front seat I watch them very closely until I know what I'm dealing with.

Danny3xd, jgiun1 and MadTownUberD like this.
  9. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust Well-Known Member

If she’s hot and alone she has to sit in the front.

Termie, Scott.Sul, btone31 and 4 others like this.
  10. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

I tell people anywhere but the roof.

11. dauction

dauction Active Member

I was thinking about that last night as a young lady jumped right up front.... more than half of women always get right up front. I was thinking about it as a safety issue ..driver and woman . I'm not sure I would want my daughter getting in the front seat with a total stranger ... Just felt it was an easy way from "trouble" accusation real or perceived etc.

I do have a lot of regulars and for those women ..seems normal as we get to know each other to some degree ..

Anyway ... If it were my daughter I'd tell her to always grab the back seat unless/ until you recognize the Driver and know he isnt a creep

12. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    It would seem better for everyone that a lady travelling by herself sit in back, out of arms reach of creepy drivers like myself and CableguynoeCableguynoe . However (kidding aside) the ones that sit in front seem to radiate confidence and assertiveness, like they are sending the message not to mess with them.

There was one that sat in front who acted all dumb and naive, and she was very small/skinny. If I were a predator, I would have perceived her as an easy mark, which must be true because she spent a good portion of the conversation complaining about drivers hitting on her.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  13. sellkatsell44

sellkatsell44 Moderator Moderator

I wish Uber would allow drivers to put a slight blurb about themselves and preferences so the riders can see while waiting for their Uber car (any corporate lurkers?).

Allow as in optional of course.

It could include: preference, passengers sit in front or passengers sit in back etc etc

Or things that may allow the passenger to break the ice in convo besides the usual spiel: likes football, hates awkward silences.

Or did you know your Uber driver drives during the day but by night they’re a music ninja.

14. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

When I’m pulling up to my riders who are toes to the curb, I generally pass them a bit so the get in the back.
    Not because I really care but because that’s where they generally sit anyway.

When it’s a hottie I’ll stop right at the front door, roll down the window and confirm her name.
    Then I’ll say “come on in”.
    That’s my way of getting them in the front seat.
    Works about 8 out of 10 times.

15. dauction

dauction Active Member

agree ... Right in the Driver Profile

jgiun1 and MadTownUberD like this.
  16. HolikDad

HolikDad Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I still don't understand why riders that don't want to talk will sit in the front?? I don't mind if they don't want to talk but sit in the back.

jb91360, jgiun1, Wh4tev3r!!!! and 2 others like this.
  17. jazzapt

jazzapt Well-Known Member

I am someone who can't stand single riders who sit in the front. It does soften the blow when they ask first (really irritates me when they just go right to the front).

I also can't stand when it is 2 riders and one sits in the front. Sit in the back with your friend!

That said I would never down rate someone for it, nor would I force them to sit in the back. I understand there are reasons why pax prefer to sit in the front (car sickness for example). I will suck it up, as long as they don't use it as an opportunity to start messing with my controls.

But if you are gonna sit in front, don't complain. I had someone the other day complain that the AC was on him and he was too cold. It took everything I had in my power not to say "if you sat in the back you wouldn't have that problem".

18. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    Great tip bro! I usually situate my car at the end of a sidewalk thingy so they're not walking in grass to get to me. Purely selfish...I don't want to clean grass, leaves, and dirt off my floor mats. I also situate the car so they can easily get into the front or the back.

One time I waited at a corner because that's where the sidewalk thing was instead of in front of the house, which is one of those newer designs with an alley in back instead of a driveway. She said she couldn't see me from her living room window, which is why it took her so long. I didn't down rate her because it was a nice long trip (>$10), she was hot, and we had a nice conversation.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    jgiun1 and Cableguynoe like this.
  19. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you're not entirely comfortable with having a passenger sit in the front when it's not absolutely necessary, keep the front seat pushed as far forward as it will go, and put some stuff on it. Not too much, because if you end up picking up for passengers you're going to have to move it all and put it somewhere, but enough said it will take a half a minute to a minute or so before the passenger can actually climb into the seat. Usually, if they see that it's going to be more trouble to do that, they will just hop in the back. Passengers that sit in the back seat will also appreciate the extra legroom.

Wally, jb91360, Danny3xd and 8 others like this.
  20. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    That's what I usually do. I have a pretty small car, so it makes for more legroom in the back. On the rare occasions when I get four pax, or someone who wants to sit in the front, I move it back. Even if it's only one pax and they sit up front, I rate them the same as I would have rated otherwise.

jb91360, jgiun1 and Steve_TX like this.