Poll - do you refer people to drive for U/L?

Do you refer people to drive for Uber/Lyft?

• Heck no, I don't want any more competition.

• Yes, but only if they are not going to be driving in my market.

• Maybe. I would refer strangers to drive, but not my friends. Or vice versa. Explain.

• Absolutely! Collect my money, there's a 75% chance they quit as soon as they get their bonus.

• Yes! Whatever makes me a couple extra dollars.

• Never! I have referred people before and never got paid for it.

• Wait, you can get paid for referring people as drivers????

• No way, the last thing I want to do is to help these companies screw more people.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mista T

Author
Sometimes pax tell me they are thinking about becoming a driver. At that second, 10 different thoughts cross my mind. Usually those thoughts lean in a certain direction which has to do with whether I like them or not (how good of pax they have been so far).

Sometimes I think I would love to see mister cheapskate destroy his new 2018 vehicle for a year. Other times I feel bad for the person and don't want to see them sucked in like so many of us are.

Anyone here have rock solid views on referring people to become drivers?

Sometimes pax tell me they are thinking about becoming a driver. At that second, 10 different thoughts cross my mind. Usually those thoughts lean in a certain direction which has to do with whether I like them or not (how good of pax they have been so far).

Sometimes I think I would love to see mister cheapskate destroy his new 2018 vehicle for a year. Other times I feel bad for the person and don't want to see them sucked in like so many of us are.

Anyone here have rock solid views on referring people to become drivers?
Only if they buy a black spot and an SUV.

oleole20

A lot of people just assume that doing ride sharing is just a matter of having a car and signing up with a company (Uber/Lyft). When you explain them the procedure and the cost, they all have second thoughts.

kc ub'ing!

I always considered helping recruit your competition/replacements quite lame. Referral bonus notwithstanding. The bonus in my market was never too lucrative anyway.

I did refer a relative who lives in SF. We each received $700 after she did 40 rides. But I think the days of that kind of referral cheddar are over.

When folks ask about driving now, I discourage them! Not out of altruism. I just don't want the competition.

UberAdrian

Not while I’m being insulted with incentives of $50. I don’t want to discourage too strongly because with smart and hard work, determination and a lucky market - anyone can still make it. The odds are terrible though.

The lucky market is key. A lot of markets are just a joke and impossible. I think I lucked out here in Toronto, they don’t seem to ever mess with us too much. Maybe because our courts gave them an early beating and they wisely decided not to poke the bear. We still have old surge! I get it sometimes. It’s fun.

mbd

No , never
I don’t pick up anybody near my hut either .. at least 10 mile cushion.. person needs to have some pride

Seamus

In the last several years I only referred one person. They are a relative who I can't stand and one of the biggest aholes on the planet. Stupid moron couldn't even make the minimum rides without getting deactivated so I got nothing.

Christinebitg

Yea, whenever they want to. I don't go out of my way to recruit them though.

When riders ask about it, I give them the straight story. If they still want to, then fine.

I let them know that there's not a lot of money in it, but that I enjoy meeting people and I enjoy driving.

If they still want to drive after hearing the real story, why wouldn't I? If they're really into it, they'll sign up with or without the referral. I did.

TXUbering

I give them the rundown, tell them that it's not a bad idea as a side gig, but tell them that fulltime, it's a lot of wear and tear on their vehicle. I have to admit that I also get a kick out of the reaction when I tell them that my Uber vehicle is not my primary vehicle, as it seems that a lot of my pax have an air about them when they get in. Nothing changes the dynamic like telling someone with no car that you have multiple cars. For the most part, I'm honest with them. It also gives me an opportunity to tell them that one of the biggest drawbacks is when a pax leaves trash behind and treats your car like a trash can. This let's me make them aware that the vehicle they're riding in actually belongs to someone else, and thus should be treated as if it's someone else's.

Coachman

I've had a couple riders talk about signing up so I game them my referral card. It never panned out.

There's a guy in my neighborhood who's been talking to me for three years about Uber but he's never going to do it.