1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Featured Poll: Do you fast while driving?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by MadTownUberD, Mar 31, 2018.

?
  1. I stop whenever I'm hungry or thirsty.

38 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. I stop when to eat or drink when it makes sense.

66 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. I seldom stop to eat or drink.

40 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. I do not eat while driving, but I drink to stay hydrated.

68 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. I do not eat while driving, but I drink to stay awake.

30 vote(s)
    13.4%
  6. I do not eat or drink while driving at all.

11 vote(s)
    4.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Sup, y'all! Madtown, back again!!! I had a great day driving in Cream City (Milwaukee) yesterday and I am again pondering the topic of eating and drinking during a Rideshare "shift".

I find that I get annoyed if I have to stop to go to the bathroom because I might miss something. Could be just the way I am wired (similar to why I don't sleep a lot). So in the morning I will drink coffee to stay awake but I will try to limit it it so I don't have to stop often...and then I try to time the final pee break with filling up my gas tank (I don't pee in bottles in the car). Late nights I sip a Starbucks sweetened coffee drink which is convenient because it can be capped. Then I hydrate only when I feel it's necessary.

I find that even if I am getting hungry I don't notice it due to all the stimuli of driving and interacting with people. It's like the adrenaline keeps me satisfied. Sorry if that sounds weird or lame, but it's kind of like a video game binge from back in the day.

Maybe you get hungry but wait for a slow time to eat. I am hesitant to do this, because the nature's call (especially after spicy food) can hit me at the most inopportune times!

So what do you think? Please vote! I am allowing up to two votes because there are a couple of options that may not be mutually exclusive.

Happy Ubering!

KellyC, keb, Fed truck and 8 others like this.
  2. Whoever thought that was a good nickname for Milwaukee should be shot. If they're dead, they should dig them up, shoot them on principle, then bury them again.

To answer the question-- I pack a lunch and eat between trips without making a special stop. I keep enough water and ice in an insulated Yeti knockoff tumbler so I don't have to buy any on the road.

3. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    What??!! I thought it was Brew Town.

jgiun1, Cableguynoe and MadTownUberD like this.
  4. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

I typically have coffee and a protein bar before I go online for a five hour shift. I usually make one and maybe two pit stops as required. I usually drink decaf green tea after I finish the coffee.

5. Mars Troll Number 4

Mars Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    I take my lunch break at 3:00 AM.

Bars close at 2:00 AM here and the crack of dawn airport stuff doesn't start until 4:00ish AM,

It leaves a nice slow period that is the best time to take a break.

My lunch comes out of the phat stack of $1s that I make change out of. (because people do expect taxi drivers to make change believe it or not).

When i'm making $100-$200 a night (2017 average was $160) I have no problem spending $5.00 on a wawa deli sandwich.

6. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I think it's because of all the cream-colored brick everywhere.

Yeah that's probably a name too. I'm sure there are a lot of them. But I saw Cream City most recently on a local business LOL.

But have you ever been to Sheetz? jgiun1jgiun1

I should have written my poll choices better. When I say while driving, I don't mean while you are physically behind the wheel with the vehicle moving. I mean during a several hour shift. I don't like to eat even while stopped because it will make me go to the bathroom eventually.

jgiun1 likes this.
  7. When I do days I take a three hour break between the morning and afternoon rush, do the gym and a chill sit down lunch. Typically five hours of driving on either side.

Rakos, MadTownUberD and Cableguynoe like this.
  8. I used to not eat. I wouldn’t get hungry sometimes and if I did, I would also feel like I’m losing money if I stop.
    But I was finding that when I would get home at 3 or 4 am I was fixig myself something to eat before I go to sleep. Didn’t like doing this too much.

But past few months I’ve changed that.
    I’ve started enjoying stopping to eat and to use the bathroom.
    I go eat inside restaurants and take my time.

Also I’ve been using the bathroom at places like Home Depot, Target, etc.
    I’ll park at the furthest point of the parking lot.
    I’m also enjoying those little walks to stretch my legs.

Feel a lot better at the end of the day.

I would take out their offspring also, just in case

thepeach, Steve_TX, KenLV and 14 others like this.
  9. thepeach

thepeach

Stopping to walk around a bit is good. Water or coffee or a beverage will keep you hydrated. If you drive and drive and get dehydrated it will be bad for your health. The other night I stopped at a gas station hoping to use the rest room. Wouldn't you know, the guy in the gas station offered the rest room key to me. Now you all know where I will stop for gasoline. They have lots of snacks and coffee there. So I will return there when I need a small break. Taking breaks is good. If we stay on our toes - we will together have a better reputation out there on the road.

Rakos likes this.
  10. I fast.
    Annoint with oils.
    Chant and burn sage.
    Meditate.
    And sacrifice chickens before each uber ride . . .

11. This is sometimes where waiting in the airport queue can be beneficial. I can take a little break, eat, stretch my legs (a lot of drivers walk laps around the ride share lot), go to the bathroom (only #1 as they're nasty port-a-johns), and/or just kick back and watch the airplanes.

12. thepeach

thepeach

Funny..

tohunt4me likes this.
  13. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Yup! I'm not going to make a special stop just to stretch my legs. Aint nobody got time for that! That's what the airport queue is for.

MHR and jgiun1 like this.
  14. I would argue that the airport queue IS a special stop :rolleyes:

KenLV, jgiun1 and tohunt4me like this.
  15. But my sage oil fried chicken fajitas are Great !

16. Do I fast while driving? Sometimes. But mostly I drive the speed limit.

Dug_M, NashHye, Hans GrUber and 5 others like this.
  17. I'm like a camel - and I'll try not to drink much water for the 1-2 hours before I start my shift; that way I don't need to stop during the 4-5 hours I'm driving. I always have a bottle of water in the car I'll sip.

I hate stopping to use the restroom because what if it surges while I'm waiting for the bathroom?

I'll bring an apple or granola bar or an easy snack with me usually BUT I've found that biting into a big crunchy juicy Honeycrisp apple is the absolute best way to get a desirable ride request ping to come through. Doesn't matter how well I try to plan it, I take that first bite of my apple and "PING! PING! PING!" and it's always a ride I want. And pax are always right around the corner, <2 minutes away, so I don't even have 4 minutes to scarf it down. It's uncanny.

Depending on the shift and the time, I like to stop and get food when I'm done. It's My motivation- nothing crazy, but that's my gift to myself- something delicious and healthy to eat.*

One things I always supply myself with before a shift is caffeine. I can't drive without it.

*unfortunately I stop for drive thru (right before going home) more since Ubering; drive thru is so very easy. I try to stick to healthy options but I mean, my dog loves cheeseburgers from Wendy's so I usually get him one and I'll take a bite out of it before giving it to him. :oops::rolleyes:

18. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Perhaps but you have a greater chance of getting a long trip, which offsets the waiting. And you're not burning gas while you're waiting.

jgiun1 likes this.
  19. Plus you can siphon other drivers' gas when they use the porta-potty.

jaxgatorz, New2This, jgiun1 and 7 others like this.
  20. Am I the only one that thought that was hot?

0F9DB99C-7523-458B-A954-0B66A502FB64.gif

tradedate, jgiun1, Rakos and 4 others like this.