• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Police now also pinging UberX drivers in Adelaide

gabelincoln

saw it last night at Garden of Unearthly delights.....police now also booking UberX cars....hopefully only $375 fine......nice 'money-spinner' for the State Government as long as UBER pick up the tab (for now)

saw it last night at Garden of Unearthly delights.....police now also booking UberX cars....hopefully only $375 fine......nice 'money-spinner' for the State Government as long as UBER pick up the tab (for now)
turning a 'blind eye' to UberBlack cars doing UberX jobs......please explain??????

Ben Hall

turning a 'blind eye' to UberBlack cars doing UberX jobs......please explain??????
Welcome to the forum, like the avatar

Were they working on the Uber booking platform?

Cars with chauffeur plates are accredited operators with accredited drivers and as a result are recognized as passenger transport vehicles.
They are registered as licensed chauffeur vehicles which carrtes a higher CTP cost so in the event of an accident their pax are covered with insurance. In addition chauffeur vehicle operators also have public liability insurance.

most Uber X vehicles are not registered as passenger transport vehicles and as a result, the car is incorrectly insured the provider of the CTP may persue the driver for costs resulting from the accident.

Angel72

Would be the insurance angle for sure. The next obvious step is at breathalyser stations.
I still don't understand this. Uber say all drivers/riders are covered by $20,000,000 public liability insurance so why would we have to have our own? Why would we need to double up? Uber state we obviously need to have our own car insurance and I have that, and I changed it to cover ride sharing, so why would I need to take out my own public liability insurance as well?

Attachments

gabelincoln

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the forum, like the avatar

Were they working on the Uber booking platform?

Cars with chauffeur plates are accredited operators with accredited drivers and as a result are recognized as passenger transport vehicles.
They are registered as licensed chauffeur vehicles which carrtes a higher CTP cost so in the event of an accident their pax are covered with insurance. In addition chauffeur vehicle operators also have public liability insurance.

most Uber X vehicles are not registered as passenger transport vehicles and as a result, the car is incorrectly insured the provider of the CTP may persue the driver for costs resulting from the accident.
the issue at present is that Uber is NOT recognised as an accredited 'booking service' by the State Government and all chauffeur cars (UberBlack) have been made aware of this fact recently by official letter.

Dimples

I still don't understand this. Uber say all drivers/riders are covered by $20,000,000 public liability insurance so why would we have to have our own? Why would we need to double up? Uber state we obviously need to have our own car insurance and I have that, and I changed it to cover ride sharing, so why would I need to take out my own public liability insurance as well?
The Government might not just take Ubers word for it, given Uber refuse to disclose the terms and conditions of the policy

Angel72

The Government might not just take Ubers word for it, given Uber refuse to disclose the terms and conditions of the policy
I just don't want to pay for public liability insurance,which is expensive, if it's not necessary. I asked uber if I could get a letter stating we were covered and they refused - no surprise there! They assured me we were covered but wouldn't give me any evidence relating to that fact. Such a frustrating company to deal with. Nor will they admit to paying fines or which ones etc. Would be nice to get a definitive answer to some of these questions considering we are the ones most at risk it seems.

everythingsuber

If it's the famous James River insurance company there's no way known the government will take their word for it and Uber simply will not disclose the contents of the policy to anyone.

I just don't want to pay for public liability insurance,which is expensive, if it's not necessary. I asked uber if I could get a letter stating we were covered and they refused - no surprise there! They assured me we were covered but wouldn't give me any evidence relating to that fact. Such a frustrating company to deal with. Nor will they admit to paying fines or which ones etc. Would be nice to get a definitive answer to some of these questions considering we are the ones most at risk it seems.
Transparency is an important factor in developing trust. Uber treat their drivers as a criminal treats a patsy.

everythingsuber

Most of the chauffeur plated drivers I imagine are not able to work with Uber due to other commitments. The larger companies certainly couldn't. I asked a friend who recently sold out. They were simply too busy elsewhere the Limos were prebooked long in advance.

Angel72

If it's the famous James River insurance company there's no way known the government will take their word for it and Uber simply will not disclose the contents of the policy to anyone.

Transparency is an important factor in developing trust. Uber treat their drivers as a criminal treats a patsy.
It definitely says it's CGU insurance. And you're right, they treat their drivers as though they are insignificant rather than 'partners'. Partners that aren't privy to our insurance coverage or financial responsibilities with fines. The whole thing is ridiculous. It would be different if we weren't really affected by any of this but if we are being fined for it surely we should have access to this information.

prk

Uber could register themselves as an accreditied booking service for lees than $1000.
so i think the question here is why wont they?
Why would they be happy to have their drivers fined?
It just doesnt make sense to me, which is why I think there must be an agenda.

A VERY wise woman told me once, if you analyze all the information and you still cant make sense of it, there's only 2 reasons
1.you're not being told all the facts
2. Someones lying to you....

Most of the chauffeur plated drivers I imagine are not able to work with Uber due to other commitments. The larger companies certainly couldn't. I asked a friend who recently sold out. They were simply too busy elsewhere the Limos were prebooked long in advance.
most chauffeur vehicles cant afford to work for $1 per km

Angel72

I was told that the government have insisted they have a call centre based in adelaide and that's what is stopping all of this and any other companies coming in that are internet based. I kind of understand Uber's dilemma, and it seems to me the government is at fault for requiring that when no other states have.

everythingsuber

I was told that the government have insisted they have a call centre based in adelaide and that's what is stopping all of this and any other companies coming in that are internet based. I kind of understand Uber's dilemma, and it seems to me the government is at fault for requiring that when no other states have.
A call centre seems a little too simple. I suppose people have gone to war for less but 13cabs call centre is in Victoria I think. I'm not seeing it being a real issue.

Who is John Galt?

Author
Where did that information come from?

Angel72

Where did that information come from?
I can't quite remember now. It was either the guy at the DPTI or the guy at RAA doing the vehicle inspections. Whichever it was said that there were multiple companies wanting to come to adelaide with app based business models that were all in the same boat as uber and couldn't come in until it was resolved. He figured the government would have to remove that stipulation to allow all these businesses to operate here because none of them could or would comply.

Who is John Galt?

Author
I can't quite remember now. It was either the guy at the DPTI or the guy at RAA doing the vehicle inspections. Whichever it was said that there were multiple companies wanting to come to adelaide with app based business models that were all in the same boat as uber and couldn't come in until it was resolved. He figured the government would have to remove that stipulation to allow all these businesses to operate here because none of them could or would comply.

I didn't know that the RAA were now doing the vehicle inspections. How long has that been the case?

edit reason: spelling

Last edited:

Angel72

Right from the beginning. I was told we couldn't get operator accreditation without it and that Uber's inspections aren't valid as they don't have the correct accreditation. Uber did say they were working to get their inspection place accredited so that may change. The RAA won't officially sign them off until uber has operator accreditation but I at least have the paperwork to show my car passed. Stupidly uber don't accept the RAA inspection. Whole thing is beyond stupid.

Dimples

Right from the beginning. I was told we couldn't get operator accreditation without it and that Uber's inspections aren't valid as they don't have the correct accreditation. Uber did say they were working to get their inspection place accredited so that may change. The RAA won't officially sign them off until uber has operator accreditation but I at least have the paperwork to show my car passed. Stupidly uber don't accept the RAA inspection. Whole thing is beyond stupid.
What a joke! Uber don't accept RAA sign off whilst RAA is the only one of the two accredited to inspect vehicles!

Angel72

What a joke! Uber don't accept RAA sign off whilst RAA is the only one of the two accredited to inspect vehicles!
Haha! Nor did they initially accept my DCSI check or my brown drivers license and each time they locked me out even when I uploaded them before they were due. Most frustrating experience ever. I asked them how they don't have some kind of list of what's accepted in each state. You'd think they would actually be aware of what the requirements are. I thought if I gave them all the government approved ones I'd be completely covered - umm no lol they're not interested in government regulations. If I can afford not to I'm not going to drive until they've sorted the accreditation out. I don't understand how they can still advertise for new drivers when they are setting those drivers up for trouble.