1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Police chief said Uber victim “came from the shadows”—don’t believe it

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Mar 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
  2. UberfiST

UberfiST

Uber probably paid him double his yearly salary to say that publicly

uberdriverfornow and tohunt4me like this.
  3. ntcindetroit

ntcindetroit

We doubt if the Uber's XC90 was safe to be tested or driven to start with. That XC90 car should be impounded for forensic analysis like headlight functions alone. Was it on high or low beam when it approached the Curry intersection? Is the horn working or not? Could that car pass a night vision test like most drivers are required?

4. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX
    if you watch the dashcam video, it clearly looks like it came from the shadows. Sorry the Uber vehicle didn't play superhero and save the illegal street crossing pedestrian who for some reason chose not to look for oncoming traffic.

I 100% guarantee you this accident would not have happened if he yielded the right of way to the car(or in other words, look before you cross). Theres NO 100% guarantee whatsoever that the accident could have been avoided by Uber or any other regular car who would be unfortunate enough to drive down the road and see a human in the street

Blatherskite and JoshInReno like this.
  5. WeirdBob

WeirdBob

The point is not about whether a human would have stopped in time. Which IS something that can be determined by reconstructing the scene in similar lighting conditions.

The point is, regardless of "the shadows", LiDAR and radar should have seen the victim in plenty of time to avoid the accident.

6. Collusion !

The camera only records 2 frames per second.
    So the depicted chain of events as recorded by that device
    Were not in Real Time.

Collision.

unPat and UberfiST like this.
  7. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

Dead jaywalker who crossed right where there’s a sign urging people not to cross versus Uber felon sitting in a robocar.. not sure who I should show the least apathy toward

8. 100% garunteed that the accident happened.
    And
    ABSOLUTELY NO AVOIDANCE TACTICS WERE EMPLOYED.
    NOT BY MALFUNCTIONING CAR.
    NOT BY INATTENTIVE BACKUP DRIVER.

COLLUSION COLLISION.

Simple.
    REMOVE ROBO CARS FROM OUR ROADS.

KellyC likes this.
  9. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

One accident = remove robocars?

Not gonna happen, don’t delude yourself. Don’t worry, there will always be a segment of society that wants real human drivers for their car.

10. KellyC

KellyC

Driving:
    UberX
    I've watched the video repeatedly & it looks like the vic did indeed come out of the shadows. But she's still visible moments before the car hits her.

In the moments before the crash, where the driver's face is shown, there are clearly moments where he's not watching the road. I think if he had been watching, he would have seen the pedestrian in time to react by braking and/or swerving, but idk if that would have been enough to entirely avoid hitting her.

I was astonished that the pedestrian was crossing in that location, with a car, headlights on, coming at her. How did *she* not see him coming?

Who is John Galt? likes this.
  11. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX
    No, you don't get to stipulate what the point of the crash is. To easy prevent this type of crash, all you have to do is promote "look before you cross". That's it.

No jaywalker = no accident. Guaranteed
    jaywalker hoping for heroic act to save him = not guranteed

If the driver jammed on his brakes or swerved, can you guarantee us he wouldnt have caused another accident or injured or even endangered any other innocent people? Why should the driver be put in such a peril situation?

Uberfunitis likes this.
  12. I live 36 miles drom the Gulf of Mexico.
    Many( MANY) of my friends are well paid Captains or crew in Gulf of Mexico.

Automation seeks to Eliminate these jobs.
    Do you know how many jobs that is here ?

Last oilfield downturn
    Banks Repossessed offshore vessels.
    Then homes went for sale.
    Then banks closed.
    Then 1/2 the city was for sale.

Many support industries for the boats.
    Catering crews.
    Food.
    Supplies.
    Automation wants to eliminate humans from transportation.
    Boats, busses, planes, trains.

Where exactly will people need to go ?
    When they are All broke & unemployed ?

What will that do to the economy ?

Buy Land.
    Learn to farm.
    Before its Illegal !

melusine3 and KellyC like this.
  13. KellyC

KellyC

Driving:
    UberX
    Of course I can't guarantee it; I believe I specifically said I didn't know if it would be enough to avoid the crash. He didn't react at all, tho, until the actual crash. He wasn't looking. He was relying on the technology, which failed.

14. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX
    Well yeah. If I buy an autonomous vehicle, but I still have to pay attention to traffic, I've just wasted thousands of dollars.

I never debated that Uber's technology may have failed.

I'm just wondering why people keep overlooking why this crash happened in the first place, instead of why somebody else did avoid the pedestrians initial illegal negligent mistake....

15. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow

For all of us that have driven on a road at night with perfect lighting, it's perfectly easy to see hundreds of feet in front of us.

It's even easier for radar to see in front since lighting doesn't matter at all.

All of us know this crash should never have happened.

The article sums it up perfectly,

16. Mars Troll Number 4

Mars Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    I'm confident that if i was driving I could have slammed on the brakes or swerved to avoid her.

Would I have hit her?

I don't know...

But i would have slammed on the brakes at the last second.

Would that have been enough to save her life?

I don't know...

Could slamming on the brakes or swerving I theoretically could have hit her a lot slower and at a less direct angle. Both probobly would have resulted in less injuries and could have been the difference.

There's a HUGE difference between getting hit by a car going 30 and a car going 40.

17. ntcindetroit

ntcindetroit

1. What shadows? A shadow of doubts? There's no cloud of shadows according to Lidar weather forecast.
    2. She/he could have been instructed to look for some displayed data for test in progress periodically.
    3. Uber SDC could be just as invisible to her or moving too fast by exceeding the posted speed limit. We'd ask why no horn or audible warning if poor victim is vision impaired.

tohunt4me and uberdriverfornow like this.
  18. See... this argument is stupid... "oh it was one Uber car accident"..... v.s how many Uber cars on the road?

Can you tell me how many Uber vehicles are on the road right now that you can say "just one accident"? because I guarantee you the amount of humans driving on the road right now v.s the percentage of fatal accidents is better than the amount of Uber vehicles on the road v.s percentage of accidents

Don't say "one accident" if you aren't going to back it up. If there's let's say 10 Uber cars on the road right now in Arizona or where ever this accident happened that comes out to 10% fatality rate.... can you imagine if 10% of the vehicles on the road right now in the world caused a fatality?

19. ntcindetroit

ntcindetroit

We'd buy a autonomous flying vehicle before an Uber's altered XC90 ready for sale.
    The crash occurred because there was a speeding Uber altered XC90 failed to move responsibly while in autonomous mode. The solution is easy, send police out to ban the unsafe test vehicles to kill more. Well, no police needed. Uber self policing finally kicked into place. No more test on public road until NTSB or more credible investigation is completed and deemed US public roads are proper venue for the test again. We need to have a level field for fair use of the public roads.

20. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow

You mean from the video that Uber supplied everyone with ?

It's likely Uber altered the video to make it look as ridiculous as it does.

Somehow it's only dark right at the point where the Uber car hits the pax. It's not dark anywhere else. You can see everything else in the shot as clear as day.

ntcindetroit likes this.