Police are getting crazy in Jacksonville FL

UNFUber

I was taking Riders to the Port of Jacksonville today. They were going on a Cruise Ship. Pulled into the Port, showed my ID and identified myself as an Uber Driver, They let me in, got in line to drop them at the designated area, as soon as I did, Port Police approached me GUNS DRAWN, told me to get out the car and show my business license, my proof of appropriate commercial insurance (Uber Certificate was not good enough, plus you can't read it on a mobile device anyway, too small). I had no real answers to these questions. they said was going to be fined on the spot for around $1,500 for a series of violations and if I couldn't pay on the spot I would be detained till I could. Scared the crap out of me. It would take a months of Uber driving to pay that off. Then all of a sudden they go a call on the radio and they had to leave, they took a picture of my License Plat and said if I ever return I will be arrested. Looks like I escaped barely here, what should I have done or responded the officers in this circumstance ? any suggestions ?

JaxUbermom

Uber Black is all that can do Port Authority property LEGALLY... Lots of issues with the city/port/X still, and until h
Legislation is passed one way or the other it will continue. There is a lot of history in this, just like other cities out in Tejas that Uber has withdrawn from because they lost the rubber stamp legislation battles, etc.,

Be safe on the roads, and if you work beaches or East side of the river and see me, I am I a blue 2015 Nissan Frontier with a Detroit RedWings sticker in my back window. Would love to meet other drivers and get to chatting about biz and stuff. We are too isolated, like Uber wants us.

And yes... The pax love my truck, yes I am commercially insured, yes I only drive smart, and yes, I actually like what I do.

Darrell

I was taking Riders to the Port of Jacksonville today. They were going on a Cruise Ship. Pulled into the Port, showed my ID and identified myself as an Uber Driver, They let me in, got in line to drop them at the designated area, as soon as I did, Port Police approached me GUNS DRAWN, told me to get out the car and show my business license, my proof of appropriate commercial insurance (Uber Certificate was not good enough, plus you can't read it on a mobile device anyway, too small). I had no real answers to these questions. they said was going to be fined on the spot for around $1,500 for a series of violations and if I couldn't pay on the spot I would be detained till I could. Scared the crap out of me. It would take a months of Uber driving to pay that off. Then all of a sudden they go a call on the radio and they had to leave, they took a picture of my License Plat and said if I ever return I will be arrested. Looks like I escaped barely here, what should I have done or responded the officers in this circumstance ? any suggestions ?
Uber Black is all that can do Port Authority property LEGALLY... Lots of issues with the city/port/X still, and until h
Legislation is passed one way or the other it will continue. There is a lot of history in this, just like other cities out in Tejas that Uber has withdrawn from because they lost the rubber stamp legislation battles, etc.,

Be safe on the roads, and if you work beaches or East side of the river and see me, I am I a blue 2015 Nissan Frontier with a Detroit RedWings sticker in my back window. Would love to meet other drivers and get to chatting about biz and stuff. We are too isolated, like Uber wants us.

And yes... The pax love my truck, yes I am commercially insured, yes I only drive smart, and yes, I actually like what I do.
Even if Uber Black are the only ones authorized to drop off, the way they handled the situation was very unprofessional, not to mention they tried to extort you for $1500 because under no circumstances should a police officer ever request money on the spot.

There was no reason at all for them to pull there guns out.

I say go file some reports and put it on there record.

Ebouc

Before driving for Uber, I got hired to chauffeur a couple from Sweden around florida. I drove them from kissimmee down to Fort Lauderdale port for a cruise. Drove down and picked them up 2 days later and drove them to Daytona Beach then 2 days after that took them to the Orlando International Airport. Sweet couple and I made 1500.00 for my trouble. but never had issues at the port, if I return to a port under Uber, I simply wont say anything.

Undermensch

Too bad you don't have video. Share that with a local news org. Completely out of proportion response when they knew you were an Uber driver as they were asking for your license; they didn't suspect you of being a drug dealer, violent, or anything else, so it was completely unjustified to pull guns on you. The news would have loved this!

JaxUbermom

Too bad you don't have video. Share that with a local news org. Completely out of proportion response when they knew you were an Uber driver as they were asking for your license; they didn't suspect you of being a drug dealer, violent, or anything else, so it was completely unjustified to pull guns on you. The news would have loved this!
Dash cam for the win, as they say. And port authority can issue citations that total what he was saying, it's more than just JSO in this whole scenario. It's difficult not to get rattled and sort all this information out when you are feeling terrorized, regardless.
I defer to MrsUberJax, who might be able to explain this to all a little more succinctly, and hope she will.

JaxUbermom

JAX TAXI MEDALLION MORATORIUM EXTENDED UNTIL JUNE 30
March 23, 2016 By A.G. Gancarski
The fractious Jacksonville City Council Vehicles for Hire committee hasn’t bridged the gap between the taxicab industry and Uber and Lyft. However, Tuesday night at Council at least bought them more time.

Ordinance 2015-835-E, enacted on December 8, 2015, established a temporary moratorium (90 days) on medallion renewals and late fees for medallion renewals pertaining to vehicles for hire.

With legislation being considered, and with accusations and invective flying from the taxicab side toward the Transportation Network Companies, and with Vehicles for Hire likely going past the original stop date of March 31, an ordinance extension was passed extending the medallion renewal break for taxicabs until the end of June.

It is by no means certain that even at that point, there will be meaningful resolution to this matter. In which case, the dance might begin anew.

One open question: whether the ordinance will cease enforcement of the medallion rule at the Jacksonville International Airport. Governed by an independent authority, their policing may work differently.
I knew I could count on MrsUberJax to post the skinny. Thanks!

5 Star Guy

Geez, that's nuts. I'm thinking it was more about an unauthorized, suspicious vehicle. You need to follow exactly what they ask you to do, lose the attitude that they must be rookies and have nothing else better to do and deal with the new issue they will have soon, later. Reminds me of the guy who continued to provoke an officer about his rights, videotaped the confrontation and was killed.

daigo1337

Geez, that's nuts. I'm thinking it was more about an unauthorized, suspicious vehicle. You need to follow exactly what they ask you to do, lose the attitude that they must be rookies and have nothing else better to do and deal with the new issue they will have soon, later. Reminds me of the guy who continued to provoke an officer about his rights, videotaped the confrontation and was killed.
Last part sounds insane. link?

5 Star Guy

I'm trying to find it, unfortunately there have been a lot of police shootings lately it's tough to find the right one.