• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Police and MCRD

DirtyRead

Thursday night/Friday AM I wrote my first rider incident since returning to driving this past Spring. Express Pool from PB around 2:30 am. Of course they were not at pick up location but they found their way soon enough. Two marines going to MCRD. The ride went smooth enough and as expected no pax were added. The gate at drop off was closed. No big deal I took them the one up PCH. One of them rudely say "just go to the other gate" I was doing so already but I'm thinkingbyou know this is express I don't have to "just go anywhere" but I'm just not in the mood to bother with it.

We get to the gate and its obvious they assume I am taking them on base which I was planning to do but its that assumption that gets me again not worth it to argue so I just keep it to myself. But all that changed after showing our IDs at the gate to what I swear was a San Diego Police woman. Not a marine and not one of the contractor security but SDPD or SD Habor Police. Her blue ball cap said San Diego and Police and I thought it odd. Anyway she asks if they are getting out off base or taken on. They say bon base to with she says I have to consent to a search of my car to go on base. I never been told that before and I don't doubt that they can make such a demand. I refused and said "No I will not consent to a search of me or my property" to which she replied with her hands on hips with an menacing tone in her voice "Why? You got something to hide? is there something in your car that shouldn't be?"

If she hadn't said that I might of changed my mind and allowed her to search. Instead I took a slow and deliberate breath and said "I will not consent to any unnecessary search. They will have to walk." she starts to say how it is not an unnecessary search when I calmly but firmly interrupt and repeat that I will not consent. "okay then go forward turn left and drop them off there do not go onto the base"

Well one of the marine starting going off calling me a @@@@@@ and he would kick my ass if he could right now he can't believe Im making them walk and more insults and he is giving me negative stars more threats of violence. I turn around and simply say "its time for you to get out now." Of course the mandatory door slam follows with more cursing and complaining about having to walk.

I pull off and park not too far down the road and make the trip report under rider made me feel unsafe gave the story included the sinsults and threats. Now I am straight so the name calling didn't threaten my manhood in anyway. that doesn't excuse them. however, the threats of violence are my absolute line in the sand. Anyway 20-30 minuets later I get Ubers reply. It doesn't touch on the threats but states how sorry they are that the ride had caused me problems and they do not allow any of their drivers to be degraded because of ethnicity, race or sexual orientation.. I laughed and now I am guessing Uber thinks I am gay. Of course they will conduct an investigation.

Anybody ever been told to consent to a search like that? Ever see a city law enforcement at the gate?

Bungyboy

negative on the being asked to consent to a search that is very weird. Most of the time they just don't let you on base and you drop the passenger off. But I am a member of the I am going to kick your ass kill you Rider Club. Luckily my rider did it right in front of a police officer who took control the situation very quickly. But my experience with Uber was better as they actually called me within 5 minutes of my complaints and took a very detailed report over the phone. Who knows whatever happened but I felt bad for the girl that ordered these two guys a ride from a party and had her account suspended.

Seth619navy

Most military are super cool and are the #1 demographic that I receive trips from (maybe because I'm a vet and we talk military talk).

I believe the police are there at certain times in order to catch drunk drivers. One time last year while dropping some Marines off at Miramar, a gate cop was grilling a possible drunk driver while another was grilling a drunk who was in the backseat. All of a sudden the drunk in the back opens the door and pukes on the officer's shoes. Me and the Marines in my car couldn't believe it and laughed our asses off. :biggrin:

NCRBILL

You can’t win with the gate guards at any base. The search would have taken a couple minutes and off you go. The guards at that time of night are bored and looking to do something to pass time.
The permanent party on MCRD are stuck on themself. Many are training to be a DI and try to take it out on everyone.
Sorry to hear of the issue as most rides I’ve had from there are very good ones.
I’m also retired from the Army and when they ask what rank I retired, when I say Command Sergeant Major they tend to be good. They respect the rank more than the person

Paul Vincent

I drove a osprey pilot to Miramar one morning. They searched the car the trunk check the registration insurance and made me sign a login sheet.we had to get out of the car while they searched. I didn't mind because I think pilots for the military or are doing an awesome job.well they were doing the search I had a ping to pick up somebody at the hotel inside the base so that worked out well.

Transportador

I cross the border and base gates a lot so car search no problem especially if that lets me on base
Post automatically merged:

I make damn sure my trunk is always empty while driving to make it easier

Oh and when I am in TJ I am ready to be searched by the crooked cops anytime

Declineathon

I've often wondered, because I'm completely open to having my vehicle searched at anytime- how do taxi cab companies protect their employees from contraband discarded by passengers?

Last edited:

DirtyRead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Besides my personal objection to random search my only slight concern was if someone did drop anything in my car. I stop and clean the car a few times a night. Ive found a small amount of pot once and a bag with white residue once as well. So, it is does happen. This was the only time Ive ever had a military pax drunk or sober be anything but polite to me or anyone else. I am over it. Its still just strange that a city cop was there. Yes a search of my car would not take long but I won't trade my rights for convince, money or safety. Its my right and its one of the things the military is meant to defend. One drunk and lazy hot head aint gonna sour me on or service members though.

William Fenton

When you drive into any mil base they have the right to search your car. It happens every so often at naval base they will have me open my trunk.
They do this to mil personal as well as govt employees.

Null

I've done dozens of drop offs on base, MCRD, MCAS, Pendleton... Not once have been asked for a search.

I would refuse as well. It would only take one pax who dropped a spliff in your seat to turn your life upside down (Military bases are Federal jurisdiction).

DirtyRead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you drive into any mil base they have the right to search your car. It happens every so often at naval base they will have me open my trunk.
They do this to mil personal as well as govt employees.
Oh I know and I understand. Im not mad about being asked but her response did not sit well with me.

CJfrom619

I've done dozens of drop offs on base, MCRD, MCAS, Pendleton... Not once have been asked for a search.

I would refuse as well. It would only take one pax who dropped a spliff in your seat to turn your life upside down (Military bases are Federal jurisdiction).
Same if not 500 or so rides off bases and never have they asked me to search the vehicle. I would have done the same as @DirtyRead and refused.