Pointers for how to beat the Holland tunnel traffic?

Inshur

burgerflipper

This thread is long overdue.

GPS is useless to get into Holland Tunnel. Gets the time all wrong, tries to suggest you knock over some cones, loves telling you to turn onto Canal from West St.

Calling on all old-timers and NJ residents to share with us their sage advice.

Thanks in advance,

BF

Oh-Lord

Don't understand your topic. You can actually turn onto canal from west st. 2 turning lanes. There are many approaches to holland tunnel. Unless someone invented a flying car that I don't know of there is nothing to do but follow the herd.

Radio_group

I guess its a good paying union job , and they have to keep busy those bums. They close 1 lane at midnight. Than you can see them cleaning tiles and removing cigarette buts . Anyway the only way to speed it up ,is to enter the tunnel from hudson street . Basicly from varick street continue to north moore , than make a right and again right on hudson. You will be at the entrance in minutes. This works only after rush hours and after midnight . I live in nj and have to deal with it every night . By the way from west side highway go to Vestry street , than left and left on Hudson street . Good luck

burgerflipper

This works only after rush hours and after midnight .
I don't understand what you're saying here. When does it work?
By the way from west side highway go to Vestry street , than left and left on Hudson street .
When it's busy there are cones there. I guess I'll just have to keep track of when those cones are up or not, is it only during "rush hour"? (like, from 4 to 7 pm or something?)
You can actually turn onto canal from west st. 2 turning lanes.
Except when the cop waves you on, which is whenever the tunnel is busy, thus making that approach only useful when it doesn't matter anyways.

On the rare occasion when you can get onto canal from west at busy time, the cop at the tunnel entrance will let about one car in every 10 minutes. Completely unpredictable, unless you make it your business to figure out whether it's worth it

Last edited:

burgerflipper

so where do I enter? Hubert? And are you basically saying that Hudson is always the fastest approach? Also, do the cones go up at 4, or some other time

Radio_group

Yes you can turn.on canal street.from west side highway only going southbound ( during rush hour ) From northbound , they will.not let you turn right on canal street . The trick is , you make a right on spring street , but instead of following everyone to varick street , make a right on renwick than right on canal and left on west side highway . Now you are on southbound and they let you turn left on canal. Usually saves you 30.minutes

Cones are usually from 4-7

burgerflipper

That's a cool trick. So, apparently there are times when canal works during rush hour. I just have a bad memory of sitting just yards from the tunnel and watching the traffic from Hudson St flow smoothly in while the cop took an hour to let the 5 cars in front of me go in

Frankyfiggs

Illegal U turn on canal, right into the tunnel, huge balls required.Sometimes the cobblestones help from west street sometimes they don't, Newark is yummy, Holland will kill the profit tho, sometimes big win, sometimes just meh when all said and done.

Inshur New York