Poaching rides

EastBayRides

I don't drive for Lyft, so I am unfamiliar with how the app works and how a driver is able to poach rides. There is a guy who sits at Fruitvale BART pickup/drop-off with a Lyft sticker on his window. I've seen him sitting there repeatedly. A pax told me he poaches rides and this pax had once taken a ride with him thinking it was his driver. This pax had driven with this driver before, so he figured it was legit. Then the real Lyft driver called him to find out what happened. The pax said he paid through the Lyft app, so I'm unclear on how this poaching works. This pax is not the brightest bulb, so he was unable to explain to me how this occurs. Can another driver steal your ride and get the fare?

EastBayRides

"Are you waiting for U/L?

Well, my ride just cancelled. If you want, just cancel your ride and I'll take you for cash. Where do you want to go?"

That's what I assumed, but this pax insisted he paid in app. I don't see how that can be done and would be worried if it can.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

They pick them up then demand cash or payment by Square Ect on arrival.

Essentially they are operating as an unlicensed taxi. (if it's not a real official uber/lyft fare your an illegal taxi BTW)

In many places it's a criminal offense. (The entire state of Florida being one)