Plus drivers: sit & wait or drive around?

Sit & Wait OR Drive Around?

• Sit & Wait

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Drive Around

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Alex88115

I'm having a rough patch this week (its just me, my friend also drives plus and is having his best week ever). For the past year, I had been driving around, same route, having a lot of success. This week I had been doing the same route, but had three consecutive bad days in a row. All time bad days.

I am experimenting with what my friend does (sit and wait). I have done this in the past, with mixed results.

On the one hand, save gas. On the other hand, you could be sitting in a cold area for a long time.

I wanted to get other opinions...something reasoned and logical as to whether I should sit or drive around.

My logic says drive around because you'll never be in a cold area for an extended period of time. I have a relatively gas efficient car, so I get about 400 miles to a tank.

On the other hand, maybe I'm not actually getting more rides, but wasting gas driving around and spending too much time in low population density areas where the chance of a ride is low.

FYI, I live in at Wilshire and Ocean, my friend lives at La Cienega and Melrose, and my route is Marina, Venice, Samo, Brentwood, Westwood, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City, and back. I drive from 8am to 8 pm.

Or I could sit and wait in by my house or my friends house...Really need some guidance. Please help me out.

What do you think? Thanks for reading all this.

arto71

To be honest you're the one who should be giving advice to others, you're a 1 year old veteran.
If you're still need one ,sit and wait as you can start your day from your home

Gemgirlla

I'm having a rough patch this week (its just me, my friend also drives plus and is having his best week ever). For the past year, I had been driving around, same route, having a lot of success. This week I had been doing the same route, but had three consecutive bad days in a row. All time bad days.

I am experimenting with what my friend does (sit and wait). I have done this in the past, with mixed results.

On the one hand, save gas. On the other hand, you could be sitting in a cold area for a long time.

I wanted to get other opinions...something reasoned and logical as to whether I should sit or drive around.

My logic says drive around because you'll never be in a cold area for an extended period of time. I have a relatively gas efficient car, so I get about 400 miles to a tank.

On the other hand, maybe I'm not actually getting more rides, but wasting gas driving around and spending too much time in low population density areas where the chance of a ride is low.

FYI, I live in at Wilshire and Ocean, my friend lives at La Cienega and Melrose, and my route is Marina, Venice, Samo, Brentwood, Westwood, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City, and back. I drive from 8am to 8 pm.

Or I could sit and wait in by my house or my friends house...Really need some guidance. Please help me out.

What do you think? Thanks for reading all this.
My experience w/ Plus is that there is no way to predict and not a "best" strategy. I think there is a lot of luck involved. Some days are hot, some days are not (for no apparent reason). However, I will add that when X surges high (2x+), Plus seems to get busier.

dunbar

Wow, you live on Ocean in SaMo and drive for Uber? I think it's going to depend on the time of day but the general consensus is that SaMo is all short trips in the evening/night time and that Hollywood and WeHo is where it's at. I really don't see the point of dead-heading around looking for a fare unless you are in a particularly bad spot.

Alex88115

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the responses. Again, I'm finding it really difficult to sit and wait. I go through these spells of 3-4 hours with no pings, which never happens driving around. Also, my route is specific and well reasoned (all the richest parts of town).

Driving, the longest drought might be a couple hours, which is rare. I've just been having it happen more lately.

Steve818woo

Thanks for the responses. Again, I'm finding it really difficult to sit and wait. I go through these spells of 3-4 hours with no pings, which never happens driving around. Also, my route is specific and well reasoned (all the richest parts of town).

Driving, the longest drought might be a couple hours, which is rare. I've just been having it happen more lately.
Shit dude.. Drive on x and play the surge.. Dam 10 minutes is hard for me to wait on a ping I didn't think it was that bad on plus

Not Me

The Westside is getting saturated with Plus drivers. I drive the same areas you do. I'm finding out that Hollywood/West Hollywood is better during the day. At night, those areas are short restaurant/club rides.
I used to wait and sit, not anymore. I drive to a certain location wait 15 minutes, continue to the next. Seems to work for me, but there is no sure thing with Plus.
Also, when X surges 2.5 or higher, I switch to X until the surge goes below 2.4, then I switch to Plus.

In my opinion, Plus is the new Black. SUV is the way to go until that one gets saturated as well. I had considered LUX, but I see those guys sitting for hours at a time, and there are now too many of them around. I can't wait until Uber starts doing fingerprinting. That will cut about 30% of the drivers. Also, give it time. Drivers out there only last a few months, and the ones that are doing it for 1 year or more, have their cars due for major overhauls and maintenance. As soon as they figure out how much it costs, or don't have the money to do it, they will also stop driving.

The only ones left driving will be the good experienced drivers, or the ones with beat up cars. Of course, Uber will keep advertising, but there is just so much money you can pour into a black hole, before everyone realizes it's a lie and hard to make money driving for Uber.

So, in the mean time, "logon to the Uber Driver App and start writing your checks. You can make as much or as little as you need. Start earning today!" Ha, ha, ha, load of crap from Uber.

Amsoil Uber Connect

Personally I think this week is going to suck. But that is based on the last two holiday weekends. Some will have a good one most will not.

thebandit

I have been sitting and waiting and its been terrible. I think some movement is the way to go. Maybe ever 20 min or so depending on what's going on around you. Hollywood has been terrible for me so you guys must have some special spots!

Ububu

Apologies for the slight derail: Anyone drive an Audi A4 for Plus? Do passengers complain about the lack of leg room in the back seat?

Alex88115

There's no "hot" or "cold" areas. There are areas that have a higher probability of rides, and you should and will know those factors that make an area potentially busy. Probabilities are just that, things will even out over time.
However, if you drive around, your added costs are very real and you won't be driving Plus for long. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll be one of the first Plus drivers to drop. By no means, don't change your behavior! There's too much Plus cars, one less is good for all remaining of us.
thanks for sharing.

in fact I have been driving around in plus with great success for a year, so I don't think that your opinion is spot on in that regard.

the amount of gas saved doesn't make up for the lack of pings. The question I would ask you is, how long do you typically wait between pings? Also where do you wait (the nearest high probability area to you must recent drop off?)?

Alex88115

I guarantee you that a car I use to Uber will go 2 years on Uber duty for every 1 year you rack up miles in yours. I guarantee you that I can hold out twice as long as you could even if Uber lowered rates further, because at the end of the month my gas credit card charges won't eat up 1/2 of my gross made on the Uber platform. Your probability of scoring a ride if you aimlessly drive around in a generally productive area is exactly the same as if you sat in that area. It just shows you're undisciplined and easily bored. Entertaining yourself by driving around comes at a cost. A professional wouldn't bear that cost, since it's avoidable and adds nothing to your bottomline. Ubers driving around in circles is a clear sign of an amateur behind the wheel.
I'm not trying to convince you! By all means, stick to your ways. You're handing me an easy competitive advantage.

Edit: as with everything, there are exceptions to the sit and wait mantra. If an Uber butthole encroaches on your spot and gets an angle on you, you will have to move. Also, obviously, if you're in dead man's land on drop off, you will have to eat deadmiles to get yourself into position again. I'm not arguing that.
even though you come off as a a-hole, I genuinely appreciate your response.

in my defense, I'm not driving aimlessly. It's very targeted. Specific streets that will get an angle on whoevers parked waiting there. Also, I don't drive around in the same area. I drive thru the area on its densest street.

I just wanted to know what type of draughts people who wait experience?

Not Me

1. Only, Uber accepts no new SUV on the platform.

2. Wow, there were suckers born indeed every day. Fingerprinting will do virtually nothing to lower driver count (whoever drives at the current rates in X or the current over saturation in Plus will jump thru any additional hoop and still drive). It will however increase your costs to be on the platform by more than 30%. So you'll see even less $$ for your labor because now you're also paying an additional government bureaucrat out of your share.
By all means, share your personal riches, if you are so inclined. You can't possibly have accumulated those by driving for Uber. Squander your inheritance, if you must. But don't opinionate that Fingerprinting will help any one (!) of your co-drivers.
For fingerprinting, I was not referring to the clean drivers. I was referring to those that only have a DL for 1 year, and/or have records such as:
1. Driving While Intoxicated
2. Driving While License Suspended
3. Possession of Marijuana
4. Possession of Controlled Substance
5. Assault Family Member
6. Theft By Check
7. Theft
8. Evading Arrest/Detention
9. Assault Causes Bodily Injury
10. Aggravated Assault

Those would most likely be kicked off the Uber Driver App.

Yathanks

I have tried both, drive like a fool and park like a slug, its all about location, location and, what I found out is nothing!!! were is that f- in location?? I did save gas parked rather than keep driving around and made about the same on a weekday.