1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Please help me understand this surge crap

Discussion in 'Surge' started by katyhwc, Sep 29, 2018.

1. katyhwc

katyhwc

Driving:
    UberX
    First, I just want to say thank you to everyone for contributing valuable information, advice, and some of the funniest, most bizarre, ****ed up pax stories, especially those by SadUber and DiD. I've learned so much here. Seriously, y'all are great. Honorable mention to Rakos, CableGuy, Ribak, Jules and a few others I can't recall right now.

Okay, here's my question(s):
    Yesterday I picked up an Uber X pax with 1.2 surge. Drove him 14.85 miles. Uber paid me a total of $16.03 for the entire trip. The fare breakdown included a separate line item of $2.66 for surge. Shouldn't the surge multiplier apply to the entire trip? Why was I paid only $2.66 for surge? How the **** was that calculated?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Be safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2018
    emdeplam likes this.
  2. polar2017

polar2017

Uber is rolling out $ surge amounts in the sky for drivers that can’t do basic math. A flat $ amount.
    This allows drivers to understand their surge bonus.
    Take the math out of driving & let drivers concentrate of hauling pox.

emdeplam likes this.
  3. Atom guy

Atom guy

1.2x surge is only 20% more, so that amount seems about right, sadly. Remember, you don't get paid the service fee and you don't get the surge multiplier on the service fee.

MadTownUberD, emdeplam and New2This like this.
  4. Gary275

Gary275

Seems about right for a 1.2 surge
    14.85 miles@.72 a mile
    You didn't give time I am assuming 18 mins 18x.15
    Base fare .34
    Add the total and miltiply by 1.2 that's yr total

5. backcountryrez

backcountryrez

Driving:
    Lyft
    Surge.jpg

Please read below the disclaimer under Surge, as shown in this picture.

1.x anything means a % above the base fares. In your case, you are being paid 20% more on those three things, for which 20% is pretty paltry.

emdeplam and New2This like this.
  6. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Is that like transmitting disease?

7. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

Uber math isn’t very pleasant until you get into the 2x surge area.

8. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

I think your confusion comes from the two different ways that they calculate surge amount. So when you’re in the regular screen regular home screen they show surge is “1.2”. This means that you take the original trip amount and multiply it times 1.2.

Another way to calculate that is taking the original surge amount and adding 20% to it. This is how they calculate it on the fare breakdown. They do it this way so you can see the separate 20% being added on.

TL;DR: multiplying by 1.2 and adding 20% are two different ways to say the same thing and your surge add on is correct.

9. autofill

autofill

Driving:
    UberX
    Easy way to estimate how much you’ll make on a surge trip is basing off a $10 trip.

1.2x = $12
    1.3x = $13
    1.4x = $14
    2x = $20

So if a trip is less than $10, you’ll get less than $2 extra on a 1.2x surge.

You get the idea.

AzAppDriver and New2This like this.
  10. TDR

TDR

It’s easy not to do math. When request come with surge ( no traffic around, rating) I’m happy. Surge money is like tip. Remember all those calculations done by uber computer. It’s not millions $ as simple little money. Why stress? Why do math? Just do uber. When better opportunity come stop wasting time on uber!!!!

Ms.Doe and emdeplam like this.
  11. Many surges are a waste of time. Take them if they fall in your lap but don't ever chase them.

25rides7daysaweek, TDR and Rakos like this.
  12. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    I'LL bet you....

wontgetfooledagain....8>)

Rakos
    CHI_03_RK0146_01_P.JPG

New2This likes this.
  13. Quiet please. Settle down, children - this class is now in session.

Take your $16.03 total payment and divide it by the surge multiplier of 1.2:
    16.03/1.2 = 13.36. $13.36 is your base payment, before surge was added on.

Next subtract $13.36 from the $16.03:
    16.03 - 13.36 = 2.67. $2.67 is the surge amount that was added to your payment. You say that Uber said it was $2.66. Well, math and accuracy aren't Uber's strong points, but in this case it's close enough.

As a check, multiply the standard payment before surge of $13.36 by 0.2. This gives the surge amount of 2.67. Multiply the $13.36 by 1.2 and it gives the final, surged payment to you of $16.03.

So, as shown above, Uber did correctly apply a 1.2x surge bonus to your payment. You seem to be implying that the 1.2x bonus should be applied to the whole $16.03. This, however, this would create a circular reference which would hypothetically result in Uber owing you all of the money that has ever been printed on Earth since the beginning of time, and then still owing you $infinity.

Yes, a surge bonus of $2.66 is a small amount of money. However, it is literally the product of taking a small amount of money and multiplying it by a small surge bonus. If you want big surge bonus then go for big cahoona unicorn fares at high surge multipliers.

AzAppDriver and New2This like this.
  14. New2This

New2This

download-1.gif

Robert Boyer, Mista T and 1.5xorbust like this.
  15. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Yup, that's the truth. They often evaporate, just from the fact that you drove into the surge area. My theory is that surges occur when the computers detect a shortage of drivers in an area.

Worse yet, you go to the trouble of getting there. Waiting while you're stuck in traffic to/from the pickup, and the trip is only a dozen blocks to where they parked their car. And no tip. :(

I'm speaking from experience on this one.

Christine

16. I dont look and just accept pings, but when the surge gets added its like a "wow" tip on a tip! I for one am really excited for the new surge with simple +$ amounts....the old way was just way too complicated/ LOL if I loved math I would be an engineer or such

17. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

LOL!!! Your posts are getting funnier by the day.

MadTownUberD likes this.
  18. We finally found the driver that Uber was talking about when they claimed the new fixed rate surge would help drivers understand how much they were going to make! LOL Just messing with you man.

Bro Olomide, KiltedSlinger and Rakos like this.
  19. Tell me what 20% of $16.03 is, minus the pickup fee

20. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Out of curiosity on a 15 mile trip, what was your expectation of what you were gonna get paid on a 1.2 surge?

When I start the trip I always see the mileage and guesstimate how much I am getting paid at the end