• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Please explain tips and passenger ratings.

OldBay

I am driving for my third week and I have read that when a pax doesn't tip, the driver gives them a bad rating. How does this even work? When a pax tips, does it show up quickly in the app? IME, it seems that it takes a while.

I think I've been making a mistake. I rate the pax 5* sometimes when they are still in the car. If they see this does it mean they are less likely to tip because they have no fear of a bad rating?

I have given everyone a 5* so far because I'm afraid of retaliation.

This is a serious question, please give me some guidance for giving less than 5* when they don't tip.

OldBay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Serious advice: Quit, it is not for you. Or you will be deactivated. Trust me.
I realize you are having a bad day, but this kind of response makes it worse for everyone.

I'm still interested if anyone can advise me on rating/tipping strategy.

sd1303

I am driving for my third week and I have read that when a pax doesn't tip, the driver gives them a bad rating. How does this even work? When a pax tips, does it show up quickly in the app? IME, it seems that it takes a while.

I think I've been making a mistake. I rate the pax 5* sometimes when they are still in the car. If they see this does it mean they are less likely to tip because they have no fear of a bad rating?

This is a serious question, please give me some guidance for giving less than 5* when they don't tip.
On Uber, you rate immediately following the ride. You don’t have to do it while the pax is still in the car. I don’t actually end the ride until they (and their stuff) have exited. Like you said, you can’t base a rating off of what they (will) tip you.

On Lyft, you have 24 hours to rate and change the rating (it defaults to 5* if you do nothing). If you are so inclined, you could base these ratings on whether a tip was received.

Coyotex

As someone told me a couple of months ago..... your job is to get the pax from point A to B safely and timely. Above that it's your own call. (Conversation, music, drinks, chargers, nothing, whatever). You cannot control how a rider rates you, so no use worrying about it. If you do your job, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Serious advice: Quit, it is not for you. Or you will be deactivated. Trust me.
Seriously though the basic mechanics of rating, tipping, ending trips only after passenger has exited the vehicle etc. should be understood within the first hour of driving and you are in your third week so I agree that this is not for you.

Wildgoose

Why do you want to down rate riders when they didn't tip you? Whenever you down rate riders, U/L app is going to ask you the reason why? You would not have answer to that question or you will choose others. U/L support will have alarm of you giving down rating to their customers and then they will definitely take action against you. They will consider that you were not fit to their platform.
So just do your job. You didn't find anything bad about them, rate should be 5*. Don't think about tips. It is upon them. They will tip you when they like your driving or your service or your conversations with them.

fork2323

Rating passengers means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! A pax can not get deactivated for low ratings. It affects them in No Way At All. They dont even see their rating on their ap. Uber does not show pax their rating. It is a total waste of time to even deal with it. Just click whatever you want as fast as you can to get back to the normal screen.
The only thing I do is sometimes I tell pax that a lot of drivers will give low ratings to pasangers who use pool just to punish them for being cheap... They usually seem to believe what im saying.

Wildgoose

Yeah.. You had been making huge mistake. You should not end the ride before they get OFF from your car. If accident happened while they were still in your car, the insurance would not have covered to the riders and you would be liability, your insurance would not also cover to them. It will be on You alone.

krbjmpr

Yeah.. You had been making huge mistake. You should not end the ride before they get OFF from your car. If accident happened while they were still in your car, the insurance would not have covered to the riders and you would be liability, your insurance would not also cover to them. It will be on You alone.
I never thought of that reason. Perhaps now the trip will be ended "once I see they are safely from roadway / driveway in order to fullfully protect their financial interests."

Yup, now part of standard operating procedure. Perhaps Pax will be more thoughtful regarding additional compensation. After all, we all know Pax don't like giving stars and tips, in that order.

Wildgoose

I never thought of that reason. Perhaps now the trip will be ended "once I see they are safely from roadway / driveway in order to fullfully protect their financial interests."

Yup, now part of standard operating procedure. Perhaps Pax will be more thoughtful regarding additional compensation. After all, we all know Pax don't like giving stars and tips, in that order.
There are many incidents happened before. When a Pax opened the door and that door hit the other cars or other bicycler, or cars coming behind hit that door or hit rear ends of your car and pax got hurt. That's what I meant.

BigRedDriver

Why do you want to down rate riders when they didn't tip you? Whenever you down rate riders, U/L app is going to ask you the reason why? You would not have answer to that question or you will choose others. U/L support will have alarm of you giving down rating to their customers and then they will definitely take action against you. They will consider that you were not fit to their platform.
So just do your job. You didn't find anything bad about them, rate should be 5*. Don't think about tips. It is upon them. They will tip you when they like your driving or your service or your conversations with them.
Had a 2.5 pax last Friday. $8 ride, $5 tip.

You just never know.

IR12

OMG! I can't

TomTheAnt

I am driving for my third week and I have read that when a pax doesn't tip, the driver gives them a bad rating.
Some of the comments on here need to be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe even mine, but just saying... :biggrin:

But yeah, my rating of the pax doesn't base solely on whether they tip or not. Most pax get 5* from me and it looks like most of them do the same for me.

Wildgoose

Some of the comments on here need to be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe even mine, but just saying... :biggrin:

But yeah, my rating of the pax doesn't base solely on whether they tip or not. Most pax get 5* from me and it looks like most of them do the same for me.
There you are.. People with good heart think everyone deserves 5*. :biggrin:

loophole

Cash tip = 5 stars, even if I don't like you.

"I'll tip you in the app!" = 1 star.

Look at me the wrong way, dont say hello,or piss me off in any other way like multiple stops, etc. = 1 star.

Don't complete the trip swipe till they exit all the way, then rate.
Post automatically merged:

Rating passengers means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! A pax can not get deactivated for low ratings. It affects them in No Way At All. They dont even see their rating on their ap. Uber does not show pax their rating. It is a total waste of time to even deal with it. Just click whatever you want as fast as you can to get back to the normal screen.
The only thing I do is sometimes I tell pax that a lot of drivers will give low ratings to pasangers who use pool just to punish them for being cheap... They usually seem to believe what im saying.
Paxhole rating is viewable to the PAX, no idea what you are talking about there...