1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Playing the radio

Discussion in 'Advice' started by simply00complex, Sep 5, 2015.

1. simply00complex

simply00complex

Driving:
    UberX
    Is there any rule against playing the radio in your car while on a trip? Do you play the radio?

I never heard anything about it, so I like to have a top 40's station playing on a low volume and last night, one of the ladies in my car said that I was the first 'taxi' she's ever had play the radio. None of the others ever did and it drives her nuts. I said I like to have background music.

2. CommanderXL

CommanderXL

Driving:
    UberXL
    Your passenger was just plain crazy or had only been in one 'taxi' or Uber in her entire life. I ALWAYS play music but let the passenger know I will change the station (I keep it on Chill on SiriusXM) or adjust the volume to their liking, including turning it off. Top 40 is also a good choice, but always have something playing, unless they are on the phone or something like that. There is nothing more awkward than people sitting in complete silence. It's why someone invented elevator music after all.

Cathi, D Town and Nick3946 like this.
  3. simply00complex

simply00complex

Driving:
    UberX
    It's that awkward silence I hate, and yes, I do turn it off when someone is on the phone.

D Town and CommanderXL like this.
  4. I play PRI during the day. Gives something to discuss if anything is going on in the world and the passenger is bored. Never gotten a complaint about it in any market I've worked. A lot of people seem to enjoy talking about stuff and this keeps the conversation away from uber. At night >very my downloaded Spotify list that's what I like. I've rarely gotten complaints and actually gotten complements from people who are sick of the country and pop they're used to hearing.

D Town, Nick3946 and CommanderXL like this.
  5. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    I like to put on one of the Canadian French XM stations when I get French People in either car. It drives them nuts.

I will put on anything that the user requests, as long as it is not rap or disco. I really do not like Taylor Swift, One Direction or Justin Bieber, but I can suffer it for a few minutes, I guess. Disco and rap are totally insufferable.

6. MR5STAR

MR5STAR

I play what i want and havnt been questioned once usually xm 2,3,11,12

devilmountain likes this.
  7. Uberectile Dysfunction

Uberectile Dysfunction

Driving:
    UberX
    Ya dude, radio, pandora, spotify, kcrw, always playin, low at first, lower for conversation between pax or with myself, and higher in silence, also ask if they have a preference often. Did you tell her to speek up next time and will surely get a positive response?

8. XM 25. That's all you need to know.

9. William1964

William1964

I've been keeping it on the blend XM radio. I also like the coffee house.

CommanderXL likes this.
  10. elelegido

elelegido

Ignore all of the above posts - Uber does, in fact, have very strict rules regulating how you may use the radio in your car. You must request permission from Uber to use your car radio by emailing your local support team and providing them a list of radio stations you intend to tune into. The same goes for any CDs or internet music. The suppport team will respond to you with their decision on what you may play in your car.

Dback2004 and UberMeansSuper like this.
  11. frndthDuvel

frndthDuvel

Driving:
    UberX
    Sirius Grateful Dead channel at 11

djangoswango likes this.
  12. Renaldow

Renaldow

Driving:
    UberX
    I always just blast Stryper. Rating 4.94*.

JimS likes this.
  13. Mr. T

Mr. T

I always have music on at some level. Most people don't care. I have anything from country to trap to Lindsey stirling depending on my mood

14. BizyMom

BizyMom

Really? Or is this sarcasm/irony? It's hard to tell in text format.

I'm too new to have an opinion, just appreciate information.

15. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    He isn't serious, I play what I like I don't care what the pax wants. I did change it last night for a guy that was going on a first date, we were going to pick her up so i switched it to John Mayer. He left me a good tip.

16. D Town

D Town

No there is no rule against playing music. Play whatever you want and feel free to play whatever the pax wishes to listen to. Even if you hate it you're likely only going to be in the car with them a few minutes, it'll make them happy, and honestly what does it cost you? I'm sure someone will chime in with how it cost them a chunk of their soul to listen to Brittany Spears or some such idiocy for 5 minutes out of their day. Be better than that.

I'd say this has been answered fairly thoroughly. We should close it before the obligatory bashing of musical genres sets in and this thread devolves.

CommanderXL likes this.
  17. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    Just play Aqua all day long.

18. Gretzky

Gretzky

I go back and forth between top 40, and alternative.. Can't tell you how many times the Pax is singing along to top 40 haha. Sometimes during the morning rush I rock the news for the suits. I try to guess what they may want to listen to, but never provide an AUX cord ;)

Cathi and CommanderXL like this.
  19. Cathi

Cathi

But I'm an independent contractor!

Dback2004 likes this.
  20. Horsebm

Horsebm

Watercolors, on XM radio. I play at low volume. Because that's what I like.