Planning 1st ride.

BayouEgger

Posting on here will get zero help. Full of bitter un-helpful trolls. Chime in boys and girls!

With that being said, I'll give you my 2 cents. Main thing is have fun and be safe. I do Uber and Lyft for my 2 daughters dancing academy. Me and about 8 other dance Dads go out and make extra $$ nights and weekends and it goes to their dancing. I have done about 2000 rides and I will say Uber is about 5 rides to 1 Lyft. More people know Uber and use it more than Lyft. I've had only 3 rides that were bad! But I don't go past Midnight so maybe that's why I've been lucky!

Busy areas include the French Quarter, CBD and the Warehouse district. Uptown near Loyola and Tulane get a lot of surges but they are mainly short rides, which do add up, especially with a surge.

We also do UberEats, some people hate it but I like it. I won't take a delivery in the French Quarter though, no parking! Just hit No Thanks if it looks like a no parking kind of pickup.

I don't/won't sit at the airport for a ride. If I get a ride to the airport and get a "matched ride" then great. If not I look at the "que" and if its 50 or more I move on. If you have a "real job" then turn on the app as you leave the house in the a.m. and put your work as a "destination" and what time you have to be there. Many mornings I'll get a ride or two heading in. I do the same on the way home!

Look at the internet and find big events, festivals, ball games. Work those areas. Big events and you get a ride, I call the pax right away and tell them where to meet me. Like after an event in the dome, I call em right away and tell them to meet me on Poydras near Lasalle or on Loyola down by the post office. Lot of rookie Pax will ping you for a ride and stand on the road between the dome and the arena that won't fly!! Also if they don't want to meet you cancel the ride. As I said this is my part time hustle so I really don't care about my ratings and acceptance rates. However trolls, if you're still reading this, 2000 rides and my rating is a 4.98. Mainly b/c I enjoy driving for Uber and Lyft, yes it gets annoying sometimes and when it does, I turn off the app and go home. But I generally like people!

Couple of other quick things: Some people want to talk, some don't. You can tell right away. Some people want to sit in the front, which I prefer, some don't. Some want the radio on some don't. Mainly just feel em out! I have several phone chargers in the back plus an AUX cable. If someone gets in and plugs in the AUX cable 9 times out of 10 it's gonna be a fun ride!

As I said, this site sucks! But I hope this helps some.

Good luck and have fun!

Cocobird

I'm getting prepared to start UberX this weekend. Any good advice?

The first thing you need to do is memorize your code. Then recommend as many people as you can to drive for Uber. You can make a lot of money inviting people to drive along to! Next thing is turn on your app and go toward Bywater, Tulane. mid city, or the airport. Accept rides Before you know it, you're going to be making sooo much money. You won't believe how much money you will make. Make sure you tell all your friends who ride uber how much more fun it is to drive than ride. We need to turn every Uber rider into a full time driver so we can make so much money. Hope that helps!

Xanvel

Posting on here will get zero help. Full of bitter un-helpful trolls. Chime in boys and girls!

With that being said, I'll give you my 2 cents. Main thing is have fun and be safe. I do Uber and Lyft for my 2 daughters dancing academy. Me and about 8 other dance Dads go out and make extra $$ nights and weekends and it goes to their dancing. I have done about 2000 rides and I will say Uber is about 5 rides to 1 Lyft. More people know Uber and use it more than Lyft. I've had only 3 rides that were bad! But I don't go past Midnight so maybe that's why I've been lucky!

Busy areas include the French Quarter, CBD and the Warehouse district. Uptown near Loyola and Tulane get a lot of surges but they are mainly short rides, which do add up, especially with a surge.

We also do UberEats, some people hate it but I like it. I won't take a delivery in the French Quarter though, no parking! Just hit No Thanks if it looks like a no parking kind of pickup.

I don't/won't sit at the airport for a ride. If I get a ride to the airport and get a "matched ride" then great. If not I look at the "que" and if its 50 or more I move on. If you have a "real job" then turn on the app as you leave the house in the a.m. and put your work as a "destination" and what time you have to be there. Many mornings I'll get a ride or two heading in. I do the same on the way home!

Look at the internet and find big events, festivals, ball games. Work those areas. Big events and you get a ride, I call the pax right away and tell them where to meet me. Like after an event in the dome, I call em right away and tell them to meet me on Poydras near Lasalle or on Loyola down by the post office. Lot of rookie Pax will ping you for a ride and stand on the road between the dome and the arena that won't fly!! Also if they don't want to meet you cancel the ride. As I said this is my part time hustle so I really don't care about my ratings and acceptance rates. However trolls, if you're still reading this, 2000 rides and my rating is a 4.98. Mainly b/c I enjoy driving for Uber and Lyft, yes it gets annoying sometimes and when it does, I turn off the app and go home. But I generally like people!

Couple of other quick things: Some people want to talk, some don't. You can tell right away. Some people want to sit in the front, which I prefer, some don't. Some want the radio on some don't. Mainly just feel em out! I have several phone chargers in the back plus an AUX cable. If someone gets in and plugs in the AUX cable 9 times out of 10 it's gonna be a fun ride!

As I said, this site sucks! But I hope this helps some.

Good luck and have fun!
Except for calling most people on a forum meant for driver's to vent as well as share their frustrations, TROLLS (good job in nfeeding them by the way), EXCELLENT ADVICE!
Good luck and UBER on!

Lyle

:cool: One more thing; Don't expect to drive for Uber as a fulltime job or your main source of income. X is only $0.90/mile, as a new driver you will be paying uber a higher commission. I'm grandfathered in at 20%. You still have to pay for all of your own, gas, maintenance, etc. and it will wear your car down especially on NOLA streets and Lunar landscapes. Seems like downtown and Quarter is an Uber parade. Almost every other car is an Uber. Anyway Good Luck

stevedmc

The good news is you can still make money. Uber sent me a bunch of emails guaranteeing a surge of 1.3x for the next week or so. Big money!

stevedmc

Nola is dangerous enough as it is but you become a target when you put that stupid sign on your car.

I use double sided tape and remove my sign when I'm not driving in nola. It is required that you have the sign visible when driving in Nola and at the airport.

Cocobird

Wow! Do you think this would have happened even if the drive wasn't doing Uber?

Don't listen to him, you are not allowed to have a weapon of any kind as an Uber driver. You don't need to defend yourself. And this cramp that it's your car is true, but don't worry about your car because you'll make so much money you'll have more cars than Jay Leno

I only made $55 in 3.5 hours yesterday. It was my 1st day. Im thinking it's not worth it.

Wow! Really impressive! You should invite all your friends to drive for Uber too! Make sure you give them your code so you can get paid.

1. Guns are not allowed in Uber. Its up to you if you prefer being able to defend yourself or continue being able to drive after someone steals your car... no. You will not make so much money you will have more cars than Leno.
2. Congrats. You made 55 in 3.5 hours. About $15/hr? Now take out taxes, gas, other expenses. Enjoy your Leno cars.
3. I wouldnt focus on promo codes. If you give too many rides to people who use promo codes, they will disable your instant pay. Not that you can really control who uses promo codes. Just dont get people to use them for your rides. I wouldnt encourage anyone to use them at all. Just gets more people to make multiple accounts and keep using the first time codes.
4. You can wait an hour+ in the airport lot for a ride to kenner for $4 or if youre lucky, a $22 ride. Or you can just go where its busy and do multiple rides and make money while people are wasting their time in the airport lot.
5. If you see a surge pricing area, dont tey to drive there to get in on the surge prices. Chances are it will be gone by the time you get there.
6. If you do Uber Eats,dont waste your time with McDonalds deliveries (especially after indoors close). You will probably be waiting for at least 10-15 min unpaid to get your order. Ive had 2 deliveries where I didnt get everything in the order and it didnt show what they ordered in the app. The customer will ask if you can go back and get the missing item and have Uber call and ask you if you refuse just to pay you another $3-4 to go back pickup the item and return to the customer who probably used a promo code which will add up to you not being able to use instant pay.
7. Have Fun :wink: