Pittsburgh hourly earnings survey

MplsD

Hello Pittsburgh U/L rockstars! Looks like independent survey in 2018 ranked Pittsburgh on the same playing field as NYC/Long Island/Westchester Cty in terms of hourly earnings so driver/rider ratio must be favorable. Lets see if this if for real. Please post approx average hourly earnings if you drive in Pittsburgh and note your general drive time of day too. Go!

jgiun1

Dude... Nobody going to post that stuff, and let areas and times flood worse than they are. We have good days and bad days. Saturation like most markets and we went from 90 cents a mile down to 65 cents.....the only one smiling more than you with you're first very first post on forum is U/L...for taking half the fares.

Whatever they don't clean up on taking money from long rides, Uber is stealing from the drunk healthy market with scam mkney surges.

There's no rock stars here, just people working twice as hard and replacing brakes like underwear.

Truth!!!

MplsD

You first......go?
I'm in the MPLS market, not the Pittsburgh market. $24/hr gross but this is above avg for MPLS. Study showed PB market at about $24/hr avg in 2018, not far off the always market leading NYC, but without the added cost of course, which is interesting. This is not the first time PB has made a high entrance in the list. Wanted to see if this was real by asking forum since this is unique for a market with a lower cost of living. Not asking forum detailed "honeyholes" Or other "secrets". If people aren't comfortable talking about earnings, fair enough! I things were amazing un my region, I wouldn't want to advertise it either. From the reaction, I'm guessing that is the case!

Justadollar

I'm in the MPLS market, not the Pittsburgh market. $24/hr gross but this is above avg for MPLS. Study showed PB market at about $24/hr avg in 2018, not far off the always market leading NYC, but without the added cost of course, which is interesting. This is not the first time PB has made a high entrance in the list. Wanted to see if this was real by asking forum since this is unique for a market with a lower cost of living. Not asking forum detailed "honeyholes" Or other "secrets". If people aren't comfortable talking about earnings, fair enough! I things were amazing un my region, I wouldn't want to advertise it either. From the reaction, I'm guessing that is the case!
In Pittsburgh we call this being nebby.

hydeflow

We are lucky over here in Pittsburgh

Fares slashed

Quests worth half of what they used to be (when I'm lucky enough to even get them)

Boost numbers consistently shrinking

Wait time between trips consistently increasing

Zero reward for working this weekend when the entire city was a giant bobsled track

Gas prices and tax reform are the only items in the plus column, and it ain't got sh*t to do with Uber.

Last edited:

pghuberaudi

I haven't driven enough since the recent rates slash here to give a fair average but I'm probably seeing a $5-$7/hr decrease if I had to guess. Before December I would drive during what I'll call "event hours" but not really with a strong strategy on location. I would average $25/hr during those times. When I have driven other times, I see about $15/hr. This is UberX only... I don't do that Uber Eats crap

tryingforthat5star

Dude... Nobody going to post that stuff, and let areas and times flood worse than they are. We have good days and bad days. Saturation like most markets and we went from 90 cents a mile down to 65 cents.....the only one smiling more than you with you're first very first post on forum is U/L...for taking half the fares.

Whatever they don't clean up on taking money from long rides, Uber is stealing from the drunk healthy market with scam mkney surges.

There's no rock stars here, just people working twice as hard and replacing brakes like underwear.

Truth!!!

Truth be told! Working twice as hard now in Pittsburgh myself. Scam surges also you will spot a surge zone drive into it nothing happens, reboot app it's gone, was probably gone for a bit but the app doesn't know this is it a glitch? ha how would you know? you think Uber is going to tell you it's a glitch it's most likely another monkey trick up there sleeve.

Bigguyt

Since I started I am at just a few pennies over $30 an hour with 700 rides. I only drive when I feel like I am going to make over $25 an hour. Those times include kiss my butt and none of your business.

Hope that helps

Xeverrer

An independent study is almost a joke.. you have drivers reporting “income” extremely inconsistently based on gross / net. Maybe they adjusted but you sure haven’t linked the study.

To think you’re just going to call us rockstars with no explanation as to why you want info (albeit info with like 0% credibility, even if I like the Pittsburgh posters as a whole)

This just doesn’t make any sense, it’s a waste of time and a weird look. Like.... are you thinking of encouraging ppl here to do it? Based on forum answers to back up a study. Just so confusing and doesn’t seem upfront to me.

MplsD

An independent study is almost a joke.. you have drivers reporting “income” extremely inconsistently based on gross / net. Maybe they adjusted but you sure haven’t linked the study.

To think you’re just going to call us rockstars with no explanation as to why you want info (albeit info with like 0% credibility, even if I like the Pittsburgh posters as a whole)

This just doesn’t make any sense, it’s a waste of time and a weird look. Like.... are you thinking of encouraging ppl here to do it? Based on forum answers to back up a study. Just so confusing and doesn’t seem upfront to me.
I'm considering a move (i can take my other job with me wherever I go). I'm taking into consideration the supply/demand situation in various places as one factor because it would certainly be good to be someplace where the ratio is better than others. There are WIDE differences between what is made by drivers (all else equal!) just based on the city where they work. The studies are easy to google, but I'll link to the following this post. Like I said earlier - its very interesting (and cool) that Pittsburgh consistently comes in with very high numbers, like NYC, San Fran area, Boston even though its market is not a high dollar, high cost market. I personally don't think there are 100s of drivers in philly or anywhere else surfing uberpeople forums to decide to uproot themselves and their whole life based on forum posts. I am, but most people are not free to move around the country as they please due to family, regular jobs, etc or they just aren't as nuts as me to do so....even if they DID surf driver forums looking for some secret amazing info. If they want that they can just google for the info if they wanted anyway since things people post on forums are 99% BS. Evidently I pissed off everyone in Pittsburg that follows rideshare forums. Not intended. Take care and don't sweat the small stuff folks. I cannot directly post a link, because uberpeople rules won't allow new posters to do that. You can find the study at The Ridester. "2018 Survey" - Evidently they do it every year! - Best to all you!

Xeverrer

I’m not pissed - I just disagree with your logic to move somewhere based on either a study / a forum survey or both.... i know that’s not all you’re doing but that’s all I get to see

for that matter I feel like moving based on Uber isn’t all that productive either.. I’d focus on the other jobs you have

I think what we found weird was just a cold ask for data with no real reasoning why.

Oh PS - I don’t think anyone is too mad... but they will be if you don’t add the h on “PittsburgH” .... we (yes, the royal we) care about that lol.

Zeppelin77

I'm considering a move (i can take my other job with me wherever I go). I'm taking into consideration the supply/demand situation in various places as one factor because it would certainly be good to be someplace where the ratio is better than others. There are WIDE differences between what is made by drivers (all else equal!) just based on the city where they work. The studies are easy to google, but I'll link to the following this post. Like I said earlier - its very interesting (and cool) that Pittsburgh consistently comes in with very high numbers, like NYC, San Fran area, Boston even though its market is not a high dollar, high cost market. I personally don't think there are 100s of drivers in philly or anywhere else surfing uberpeople forums to decide to uproot themselves and their whole life based on forum posts. I am, but most people are not free to move around the country as they please due to family, regular jobs, etc or they just aren't as nuts as me to do so....even if they DID surf driver forums looking for some secret amazing info. If they want that they can just google for the info if they wanted anyway since things people post on forums are 99% BS. Evidently I pissed off everyone in Pittsburg that follows rideshare forums. Not intended. Take care and don't sweat the small stuff folks. I cannot directly post a link, because uberpeople rules won't allow new posters to do that. You can find the study at The Ridester. "2018 Survey" - Evidently they do it every year! - Best to all you!

If you plan on moving here for your main line of work then please come to our fair city. That being said, the rideshare market is getting increasingly overcrowded with drivers. Lyft in particular added anyone with a pulse and now I can't drive a mile without seeing a glowing amp from the driver's dash. The surge and primetime have decreased immensely, and you can't even get $20 for an airport trip without traffic from downtown after the change in rate structure. I would also like to add that Pittsburgh is not an area I would suggest being a ridershare driver in if you are new to the city. The layout/terrain/poor signage/ bad drivers/ bad weather, constant construction are the main deterrents to becoming a successful driver. Google/Uber navigation is still unable to master how to get around this city. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Steelersnut

Hello Pittsburgh U/L rockstars! Looks like independent survey in 2018 ranked Pittsburgh on the same playing field as NYC/Long Island/Westchester Cty in terms of hourly earnings so driver/rider ratio must be favorable. Lets see if this if for real. Please post approx average hourly earnings if you drive in Pittsburgh and note your general drive time of day too. Go!
Nothing wrong with your post dude. I think you're justing seeing the "Steelers missed the playoffs" attitude.
$25hr +/- $1 but I have XL and only do Uber.
Hours? Forgettaboutit!!!

MasterKNinja

I haven't driven enough since the recent rates slash here to give a fair average
Same. I’m on a couple hours a day, always with a destination filter set & I’m at about $1/hr haha
The Ridester. "2018 Survey"!
I dunno how much training you have in statistics but any online survey that isn’t a random sample isn’t statistically valid. It’s selection bias. Self-selection attracts those with a strong opinion for or against so you can’t draw any type of conclusion from it at least scientifically.

IMHO looking at gross income at peak times (Saturday nights, arena concerts & sporting events) is a joke. I’d find full time drivers & ask them what their net is AFTER paying insurance deductibles for accidents & major repairs after 3,000 miles/month for a couple years. The long term economics are simple: rideshare will reach an equilibrium at minimum wage + a premium for vehicle costs. Is it there yet or not, who knows? Sure feels like it.

MplsD

Same. I’m on a couple hours a day, always with a destination filter set & I’m at about $1/hr haha

I dunno how much training you have in statistics but any online survey that isn’t a random sample isn’t statistically valid. It’s selection bias. Self-selection attracts those with a strong opinion for or against so you can’t draw any type of conclusion from it at least scientifically.

IMHO looking at gross income at peak times (Saturday nights, arena concerts & sporting events) is a joke. I’d find full time drivers & ask them what their net is AFTER paying insurance deductibles for accidents & major repairs after 3,000 miles/month for a couple years. The long term economics are simple: rideshare will reach an equilibrium at minimum wage + a premium for vehicle costs. Is it there yet or not, who knows? Sure feels like it.
You don't need to have a degree in statistics to understand that as long as the same selection bias is affecting the entire sample, then you can make all kinds of conclusions about how the cities compare with each other. Obviously, you can't conclude that every person driving in X city makes X dollars per hour, but you definitely can draw conclusions about how the $$ people make in X city compare with Y city at the time of the survey, as long as n (number of samples) is sufficiently high enough in each city. Look man, nobody is trying to to design a space shuttle here. The info in the survey gives the jist of things, not brass tacks. But in terms of comparing cities to each other, its not a bad piece of work. Also, if a person reads enough about the subject over time, you can find some consistencies which corroborate. When there is a $4/hour difference between Minneapolis and Pittsburgh and most areas of fly-over land are in the teens and the survey takers know what they are doing because they've been at this for a while and aren't idiots - those are dollars worth noting - again for comparative purposes anyway. One can make some assumptions about the survey participants and what kind of pay they are reporting. Vast majority of drivers drive weekend nights. I've been at this quite a while so I understand the math between those drivers and day drivers and the difference between "cab-driver in rideshare clothes" earnings and drivers who know how to double their earnings with tips. These are all known factors. I knew what the numbers would represent if people (in general) on this forum decided to share their earnings. People on here share them all the time in every city. Some people even let you know if they are talking gross or net and if they are weekend warriors or otherwise. I'm not conducting a scientific study here. Just hashing out rough idea like is Pittsburgh more like NYC at $25 bucks gross or is it more like Tampa at $8 bucks gross. There are no other stand outs in the survey besides Pittsburgh in terms of coming close to the boom towns of NYC and the Bay Area where people commute 2 hours and sleep in their cars to rideshare for a few days before heading home - even quitting their high paying tech jobs to do so (couple years ago - maybe not now). So seeing $24-$25 in Pittsburgh with housing at 30% less cost than NYC or Bay area is kind of interesting. Is it possible that the survey only talked to one guy in Pittsburgh and so the info is BS. Absolutely. Thats why i thought i would check into the forums where people mostly talk about how horrible things are and they can't make any money. Its the same way in Mpls on forums here.

TheRealGnash

I haven't driven enough since the recent rates slash here to give a fair average but I'm probably seeing a $5-$7/hr decrease if I had to guess. Before December I would drive during what I'll call "event hours" but not really with a strong strategy on location. I would average $25/hr during those times. When I have driven other times, I see about $15/hr. This is UberX only... I don't do that Uber Eats crap
Sounds about right.

Lowdown

The movie Dawn of the Dead was filmed in Pittsburgh in the '70s. Since the rate cuts, flat to zero surges, low dollar quests..including horrible weather, rough hilly terrain,+++...driving endless hours for less money..Pittsburgh should film a remake and call it Rideshare of the Dead. This is what it has felt like lately especially with last weeks blizzard conditions, snow/ice covered streets with Uber displaying $1.00 next trip....