Pings are accepted before you get them!

Papa Sarducci

Discovered something both interesting and disturbing tonight. While screwing around and ignoring pings I finally accepted one that had come to me twice before. When I went to pickup my pax I asked them if they had any trouble with the app. They said twice they got a ride but then it said your driver cancelled and we will find you another one.

Then it hit me, Uber in their arrogance assumes that we will just take whatever they send us. While we are watching the little circle thing tick down to zero they are telling the pax that they already have the ride. Uber is giving them the illusion that they will be getting the car closest to them before the ping has even been accepted.

This may explain the 'time out' period experienced when you let a ping run down to 0. The system is keeping you on a short list of drivers nearby, after the ping makes the rounds to the rest of the drivers, if nobody takes it you get pinged again.

Last edited:

CrazyT

I've suspected this for a while. I also suspect the send the ping to multiple drivers at the same time. Too frequently do I tap to accept and get an error message about the trip no longer being available. It wasn't even close to timing out either.

Papa Sarducci

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've suspected this for a while. I also suspect the send the ping to multiple drivers at the same time. Too frequently do I tap to accept and get an error message about the trip no longer being available. It wasn't even close to timing out either.
I actually think pinging every available driver at once would be the democratic way to go about it. The work might be better distributed that way, pax wouldn't like it but hey, they can cancel if the driver is too far away and get another one.