• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pickup premium

Zaarc

Sometimes the app says "Pickup premium possible" and sometimes "Pickup premium likely" What are the variables for this. Why isnt it just "There IS a pickup premium for this ride"

Merc7186

Pickup Premiums Possible are always worth the extra earnings. I feel that driving 10+ miles for what will most likely be a short trip is a great way to counteract my good earnings with some good tax write off.

Uber Pro Bono FTW

SuzeCB

Sometimes the app says "Pickup premium possible" and sometimes "Pickup premium likely" What are the variables for this. Why isnt it just "There IS a pickup premium for this ride"
Because there isn't always.

For example, if the base rate plus miles plus minutes of the ride that you actually give are below the minimum fare, and the premium amount that you earned in getting to the pickup location still doesn't bring it up past minimum fare, you're only going to get the minimum fare, and not the premium. It gets swept into the fare.

Also, you have to figure out what the minimum amount of distance to travel before getting any kind of premium pay is in your area. It's based on time. In New Jersey, it is 11 minutes, so you get nothing for the first 11 minutes of traveling to the Pax, and then get a miles and minute rate after that until you reach the pickup point. Since it's usually a bad idea anyway to drive more than 10 minutes to a pickup location, the idea of a premium that's going to get swept into a minimum fare because the Pax is only going three blocks just makes it not worth it.

Aw Jeez

Got up one morning and turned the app on just before 0430. Immediately get a ping that's 15 minutes away. I hit "Accept" automatically, without looking. Oh no. But it says, "Premium pickup possible!" Oh yes! The pick up is in a dinky suburb of our dinky city. Ain't no ants working there at that hour of the morning. So I go hustling out there - 14.9 miles. When I find the guy, it turns out that he was only going to a nearby bar/restaurant where he left his car when he hooked up with a chick and left with her in her car. It literally was walking distance (granted, it was pretty dark out). So instead of a "premium" pickup the total trip length was .7 miles. Let's see, 15 miles out, .7 for the trip, and then 13.3 miles back to my favorite morning "honey hole." All this for a measly $6.21 for 35 miles of driving. Damn. Ooooh, but I did get the $3.72 "Long Pickup Fee!"

What utter bullshit. But what I don't understand is that the FIRST question the rider app asks when you open it is, "Where To?" So Uber KNOWS where you are and where you're going - they KNOW the length of the trip. They KNEW this guy was only going .7 miles away. So why the subterfuge? Why the come-on of a "premium" trip? They KNEW it was not! And so guess what - as George Bush used to say, "Fool me once...errr, won't get fooled again!" Not accepting any more bogus "premium pickups," not this this ant!

Attachments

BikingBob

I typically ignore them. It's too much of a gamble. Granted, one specific example comes to mind where I got the request 3 times and I drove 20+ minutes to find a family stranded. They were in an accident and were traveling. I took them another 45+ minutes and it paid well.

cumonohito

This is when having the visibility to see trip duration comes in handy. Drive 15 minutes or so for a 2 minute ride, not worth it, it should at least match the time to get there to make it worthwhile.

FLKeys

In my market anything over 5 miles away I get the same rate for the extra miles over 5 miles as if they were in my car.
Anything over 5 minutes away and I get the same hourly rate as if they were in the car on a trip.
Over 5 minutes and 5 miles I get both miles and time over 5 miles and 5 minutes.

Anything over 5 miles and the app says "Pickup premium likely"
Anything over 5 minutes and under 5 miles and the app says "Pickup premium possible"

jazzapt

I have always taken it as "Pickup premium possible" means depending how long it takes you to get to the pickup spot, you may or may not get the fee. As my market is anything over 10 minutes gets the premium, I usually see them on ping where ETA is around 10-12 minutes.

I usually see "Pickup premium likely" with anything 13 minutes away or longer. Which means any route you take, you are likely to get the premium.

I think it really depends on the variables set in your market. IE, when does Pickup premium take affect?

Wh4tev3r!!!!

This is when having the visibility to see trip duration comes in handy. Drive 15 minutes or so for a 2 minute ride, not worth it, it should at least match the time to get there to make it worthwhile.
Very true. Had one yesterday. 7 miles 19 minutes away - 3 minute ride east

hrswartz

Got up one morning and turned the app on just before 0430. Immediately get a ping that's 15 minutes away. I hit "Accept" automatically, without looking. Oh no. But it says, "Premium pickup possible!" Oh yes! The pick up is in a dinky suburb of our dinky city. Ain't no ants working there at that hour of the morning. So I go hustling out there - 14.9 miles. When I find the guy, it turns out that he was only going to a nearby bar/restaurant where he left his car when he hooked up with a chick and left with her in her car. It literally was walking distance (granted, it was pretty dark out). So instead of a "premium" pickup the total trip length was .7 miles. Let's see, 15 miles out, .7 for the trip, and then 13.3 miles back to my favorite morning "honey hole." All this for a measly $6.21 for 35 miles of driving. Damn. Ooooh, but I did get the $3.72 "Long Pickup Fee!"

What utter bullshit. But what I don't understand is that the FIRST question the rider app asks when you open it is, "Where To?" So Uber KNOWS where you are and where you're going - they KNOW the length of the trip. They KNEW this guy was only going .7 miles away. So why the subterfuge? Why the come-on of a "premium" trip? They KNEW it was not! And so guess what - as George Bush used to say, "Fool me once...errr, won't get fooled again!" Not accepting any more bogus "premium pickups," not this this ant!
but the fatherly government also kicks in another $.054.5 per mile for a total of $19.07 extra... just sayin'

EL X

i stopped doing premium pickups because the rider cancels more often than not as i get near. especially if its a residential area and not hotels.

ZenUber

I got that one night with a 17 minute pickup. I don’t drive 17 minutes at 2am for a maybe. Uber can do better than that. Kept getting the same ping, 6 or 8 times till I went offline. If you’re that desperate, then offer me something definite.

Coyotex

I got my first "premium" ding today. It was while I had another pax in the car! Huh? You can get dinged when you're already on a fare? Does that happen often?

ZenUber

Happens all the time. The other day I had a string of about 10 XL rides with no time in between. I was beginning to think something was wrong with the app.

reg barclay

The pickup premium kicks in if the journey to pick up location takes more than x amount of minutes (which differs by market).The app doesn't know how long it will actually take when you accept so it says 'likely' or 'possible'.

Zaarc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The pickup premium kicks in if the journey to pick up location takes more than x amount of minutes (which differs by market).The app doesn't know how long it will actually take when you accept so it says 'likely' or 'possible'.
Soooo.....if you get that message would it make sense to dawdle a little bit to make sure you get the premium? That doesnt seem "right", but apparently they are almost encouraging it.