• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Picking Up Young (alone) Children

Bevital

Got a request for a pickup today in the Louisana/Zuni area. I pull up and there's a young girl standing there (maybe 12 or 13) says she was 15. Along with a little boy maybe 5 but more likely 4 or 3. No car seat either.

Probably, my worst nighmare. I asked how old she was and explained to her, it is against Uber policy for us to pickup anyone under 18. She said "this is how her mom always does it".

This is a lose lose situation for an Uber driver.

One, what type of mother would let her kids drive alone with an Uber driver? Two, if you don't pick them up (especially in a rough neighborhood) and something happens to them. WOW.

If you pick them up and later the mom says her daughter told her the Uber Driver did "X", your Uber life and any other life you may have had is over. Maybe if you have a dash cam you could win a court case, but you better call Saul, because he's about the only one you can save you. And a few years from now, after the long drawn out court battle Uber may take you back.

I cancelled and two minutes got another call to same location different name, cancelled that, and two minutes latter same location again. Cancelled and went off line.

tomabq

Can't believe no one has responded to this. You did the right thing. It never ceases to amaze me that people order a ride and do not have a car seat, they know the law and if something were to happen you would be responsible. Lets say you were pulled over by a cop are they going to pay the fine? How about the points you'll now have on your driving report? On top of all this what happens if your in an accident and the child is killed? I couldn't live with this on my mind! You did the right thing thing!

tomabq

Can't believe New Mexico Law Allows this! Shocking!!!!!!! Drivers in that State are Victoms of possible Abuse!!
You raised a serious point, why do you say you can't believe New Mexico law allows this? My understanding is that in California it's common practice that kids are picked up and taken to and from different practices such as soccer and football. Definitely need to check into this further.

Robert Minto

Got a request for a pickup today in the Louisana/Zuni area. I pull up and there's a young girl standing there (maybe 12 or 13) says she was 15. Along with a little boy maybe 5 but more likely 4 or 3. No car seat either.

Probably, my worst nighmare. I asked how old she was and explained to her, it is against Uber policy for us to pickup anyone under 18. She said "this is how her mom always does it".

This is a lose lose situation for an Uber driver.

One, what type of mother would let her kids drive alone with an Uber driver? Two, if you don't pick them up (especially in a rough neighborhood) and something happens to them. WOW.

If you pick them up and later the mom says her daughter told her the Uber Driver did "X", your Uber life and any other life you may have had is over. Maybe if you have a dash cam you could win a court case, but you better call Saul, because he's about the only one you can save you. And a few years from now, after the long drawn out court battle Uber may take you back.

I cancelled and two minutes got another call to same location different name, cancelled that, and two minutes latter same location again. Cancelled and went off line.
I agree it's a safety thing. I will not take any rider that " looks" under 18. I too have had riders with children that should be in a car seat and say they will hold them. One was a baby . Hell no. Get a car seat! And no we don't provide them. I have been asked.

Pawtism

You raised a serious point, why do you say you can't believe New Mexico law allows this? My understanding is that in California it's common practice that kids are picked up and taken to and from different practices such as soccer and football. Definitely need to check into this further.
Actually, just for clarification, in Cali it's an actual crime (not just civilly illegal) for an adult stranger, over the age of 21 (uber drivers do qualify as strangers) to transport someone under the age of 18. There are ways to get exemptions by going through very expensive and intensive background checks and training (think bus drivers, there are services like Taxi Mom for kids, a few cab companies do it, etc). In New Mexico they don't really care as long as it's a "responsible adult" (but still against uber's policy, for liability reasons, and you could be deactivated for it). In both New Mexico and Cali (and just about every other state), a car seat would be required for the little one. Also, both in Cali and NM, a minor cannot enter into a contract (therefore can't order an Uber themselves anyway), and if the parent does it, they have violated the terms of the app and you can cancel (I'd wait the 5 minutes and collect my cancellation fee too).

http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-272.html

Common sense should tell a parent that sticking your children in with someone you don't even know is a bad plan, really.

tomabq

Actually, just for clarification, in Cali it's an actual crime (not just civilly illegal) for an adult stranger, over the age of 21 (uber drivers do qualify as strangers) to transport someone under the age of 18. There are ways to get exemptions by going through very expensive and intensive background checks and training (think bus drivers, there are services like Taxi Mom for kids, a few cab companies do it, etc). In New Mexico they don't really care as long as it's a "responsible adult" (but still against uber's policy, for liability reasons, and you could be deactivated for it). In both New Mexico and Cali (and just about every other state), a car seat would be required for the little one. Also, both in Cali and NM, a minor cannot enter into a contract (therefore can't order an Uber themselves anyway), and if the parent does it, they have violated the terms of the app and you can cancel (I'd wait the 5 minutes and collect my cancellation fee too).

http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-272.html

Common sense should tell a parent that sticking your children in with someone you don't even know is a bad plan, really.
Thanks for a detailed explanation.

CTDriver

I'm not a driver in Albuquerque but I feel compelled to answer this...

Here in CT, I do not know the league responsibilities, but I seem to very often get requests from teenagers. My general rule of thumb is I will drive 16 and up. My opinion on this is that while they are underage, if they are old enough to earn money, they are old enough to spend the money. I will ALWAYS do a pick up if it is to/from work. Other trips, I use my discretion, but I have never kicked someone out of the car for being underage. Generally it's don't ask don't tell in my car, but if I ever saw someone who was blatantly underage, I'd say something.

I've actually seen requests 3 times to pick up at a nearby junior high. I drive up in case it's a teacher, but it's been 12/13 yr olds every time. I explain why they're not getting a ride from me, then cancel as no show after 5. Then immediately report the account for requesting rides for minors. You HAVE to report it asap before a parent tries to report something.

No car seat is a no brainer. Lots of stupid/ignorant parents out there.

I recognize local HS locations now and cancel and report after I drive by. They're going to lie and say they're 18. Not risking it.

DownByTheRiver

Pawtism is correct on the legal aspect of transporting an Unaccompanied Minor in CA. As tomabq noted, it is commonplace in CA anyway. I cancelled 3 UM rides in 2 days. I cancelled them as UM on the app (we have that as a cancellation reason in the CA app). They didn't show on my trip history. When I contacted support wanting my cancellation fees I had to go round with the support person until a supervisor got involved and they suddenly found the trips and gave me my cancellation fees. I was told the rides were reassigned after I cancelled them. I asked why the accounts weren't immediately placed on hold and was told they would be investigated. The upshot is they kick these cancellations down the line until they get a driver who will take the ride because Uber wants the money. I was told some locations don't have the UM reason for cancelling on their app. Before cancelling take a screenshot of the waybill, after cancelling report it to Uber as an Unaccompanied Minor and request your cancellation fee. Even if you have the UM reason on your cancel screen take a screenshot of the waybill before you cancel so you don't have to deal with what I dealt with getting the fees. If you do take an underage rider and are in an accident the policy through James River will not cover you because it is an illegal ride.

Car seats are a different matter. If the parent or guardian is with the child we can take the ride and if stopped by PD the parent/guardian will get the ticket. It must be the parent or guardian, Uncle Joe or Big Sis will get the driver the ticket. I still refuse to take those trips because the liability is too high. Let the cheap parents go buy a car seat. Again, many drivers will take those rides.

Pawtism

Pawtism is correct on the legal aspect of transporting an Unaccompanied Minor in CA. As tomabq noted, it is commonplace in CA anyway. I cancelled 3 UM rides in 2 days. I cancelled them as UM on the app (we have that as a cancellation reason in the CA app). They didn't show on my trip history. When I contacted support wanting my cancellation fees I had to go round with the support person until a supervisor got involved and they suddenly found the trips and gave me my cancellation fees. I was told the rides were reassigned after I cancelled them. I asked why the accounts weren't immediately placed on hold and was told they would be investigated. The upshot is they kick these cancellations down the line until they get a driver who will take the ride because Uber wants the money. I was told some locations don't have the UM reason for cancelling on their app. Before cancelling take a screenshot of the waybill, after cancelling report it to Uber as an Unaccompanied Minor and request your cancellation fee. Even if you have the UM reason on your cancel screen take a screenshot of the waybill before you cancel so you don't have to deal with what I dealt with getting the fees. If you do take an underage rider and are in an accident the policy through James River will not cover you because it is an illegal ride.

Car seats are a different matter. If the parent or guardian is with the child we can take the ride and if stopped by PD the parent/guardian will get the ticket. It must be the parent or guardian, Uncle Joe or Big Sis will get the driver the ticket. I still refuse to take those trips because the liability is too high. Let the cheap parents go buy a car seat. Again, many drivers will take those rides.
There was a discussion on this on another thread and the consensus we all seemed to come to (after comparing notes) is that it doesn't seem to matter which reason you list, if you wait the 5 minutes, you'll get the fee, if not, you won't (without having to contact Uber and fight for it anyway). The timer seems to be the only thing that matters (which I think is stupid, why even have the "Unaccompanied Minor" reason in the list if they don't take it into account). It seems to be the same with the no car seat cancel reason too. As to who gets the ticket for no car seat, that also varies by state. Here (I'm not in CA), the driver will get it every time (or at least virtually every time, they have other options like warnings, etc).

Tom Harding

That problem exists just about everywhere. Last Christmas a day before Christmas Eve I get a call for UberXL, There are 5 children with ages ranging from about 5 to 13 and one adult (mom?). All the kids get in the middle and 3rd row. I see mom walking toward me and then she stops and walks toward a car in the driveway, gets in and drives away. Now I'm stuck with her brood. So I can't put them out because now no one is home. I took them to their destination with incident. They were very well behaved kids. After the trip ended I reported the incident to Uber pretty much like I said now.
Under normal conditions, if a rider is an unaccompanied minor, the driver, according to Uber, is to cancel the call as an Unaccompanied Monis, report it to Uber and collect the fee. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way all (if ever) time. TO get the fee, most likely you'll have to remind Uber support of the trip (take screen shot before cancelling).