• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

picking up at SRQ

Deedubya

Hello uberheads,

I'm new to ubering, I am doing this part time to help with the bills as I am on a pension with 2 kiddies at home. I have been lurking around the forum for awhile and not sure if I will get a serious answer :smiles: Anyway I sure would appreciate if one of you guys or gals can help me out.

Uber says to pick up at the short term lot in aisle 9A Due to all the barriers there I couldn't get there, made it to 6A. Can you please tell me where to wait and how to get there as all the airport cops don't seem to have much patience. Thank you

Signal Twenty

I thought I answered to this a while ago...I haven't been there since about Valentine's Day...but last I knew it was 5A.

This board is deader than dead. If you have anything that's not specific to Sarasota, you might want to check out the Tampa board.

Signal Twenty

I had a drop off this afternoon at the airport, so I decided to take a ride through the short term lot to see how the construction is going. Plus, it’s been a while. Good to see it’s done. The Uber/Lyft pickup point is in 9A.

Does anyone know if they ever plan on making the short term lot covered? I’d imagine so, as long term and rental lots are shaded.

Dallas007

Had a drop off today; hung around for a bit in the short term lot; looks like there are now 5 or 6 Uber / Lyft ‘reserved’ spots on 8A closest to the covered terminal crossing walk. Was 4th in line per the queue and it only dropped to 3 over a 30 min period. 2 planes landed in that time ; but only 1 Uber seemed to be called. The experiment cost me 3 dollars parking :smiles:

Signal Twenty

...The experiment cost me 3 dollars parking :smiles:
I've had that experiment as well.

Sometimes, I've gotten a ping about four minutes before I have to exit the ST lot, and the rider takes forever to get to the car, which costs me...

And of course, Mr. Rich Guy from Siesta Key sees me pay the tollbooth clerk on the way out of the airport, but I get no tip. C'est la vie.

BobbySRQ

I've had that experiment as well.

Sometimes, I've gotten a ping about four minutes before I have to exit the ST lot, and the rider takes forever to get to the car, which costs me...

And of course, Mr. Rich Guy from Siesta Key sees me pay the tollbooth clerk on the way out of the airport, but I get no tip. C'est la vie.
10 minutes after the plane lands leave the lot and re-enter. Then you will be fine.

Dallas007

Last week a large family with kids and luggage...I just drove around and picked them up at the curb.

Dallas007

Seems a bit ridiculous with only 1 or 2 planes an hour landing not to allow curbside pickup...and I’m a bit disguised with outa state plates...look more like a tourist :wink:
...and I’m there infrequently

...BUT ...how much is the fine ,;@) ?

BobbySRQ

Seems a bit ridiculous with only 1 or 2 planes an hour landing not to allow curbside pickup...and I’m a bit disguised with outa state plates...look more like a tourist :wink:
...and I’m there infrequently

...BUT ...how much is the fine ,;@) ?
The reason is political. They were getting too much @@@@@ing by Diplomat. Ironically at a major airport like Tampa, you can pick up at the curb.

I don’t know how much the fine is but SRQ cops are miserable people with delusions of grandeur. Even if it’s only $20, why take the chance. Just not worth it.

Signal Twenty

The reason is political. They were getting too much *****ing by Diplomat. Ironically at a major airport like Tampa, you can pick up at the curb.

I don’t know how much the fine is but SRQ cops are miserable people with delusions of grandeur. Even if it’s only $20, why take the chance. Just not worth it.
Is there anyone here who has gotten a ticket from airport PD?

WholesomeUber

A seedy Uber driver (warmed over hippie with long beard, Birkenstocks, children's clothes) told me that he and his buddies hang out at the Shell station on Tamiami Trail north of SRQ. They're in queue and don't have to worry about parking fee if they dash in and out.
PS, the other night, there were FIVE Uber and ELEVEN Lyft drivers lurking near SRQ. Madness!

Dallas007

I’ve had mixed results this week; I will stop by IF dropping off or nearby for other reasons; AND inbound flight is landing soon...
1. Lucked into an Uber XL to Port of Tampa (family to a cruise ship) + 20% tip in app
2. Lyft XL - Sarasota family to home - no tip (other than may thanks ... etc. :smiles: )
3. Flights land... nada ; wasted time

Have done the short term lot ; out every 25 mins and back in; as well as ‘local nearby lurking’

Good luck... too bad that airport doesn’t have more flights per hour; 1 or 2 an hour seems like it is well under utilized!?

WholesomeUber

The SRQ market seems SATURATED with drivers. I do both Uber (99%) and Lyft (1%) -- last time I checked Lyft (last weekend), there were nine (9) drivers standing by to pick up the very few arriving passengers! On a secondary, fashion note: I was shocked to see grown men dress like children (t-shirt, shorts, ratty sneakers) while Ubering. Have a little class -- IMHO.

2Cents

The reason is political. They were getting too much @@@@@ing by Diplomat. Ironically at a major airport like Tampa, you can pick up at the curb.

Political ?
Ever think maybe these so called "ride-share" companies don't pay to play?