Pick up not tracking

Graham J

Since Saturday I have had numerous passengers telling me that they are not seeing my car moving toward them or the ETA being updated. I've even had about four calls or texts from pax asking where am I? Anyone else seeing this happen?

LevelX

Yes had this twice this morning going by paxs... It also happened once or twice a few weeks ago.

I restarted my phone back then etc and the problem went away. But it seems it wasn't a phone issue, as I only did that last night for a OS update and it was happening in the morning today.

So seems to be a uber server side thing.

Graham J

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will contact Uber "Support" for sure now. I reloaded the APP earlier today because I know that's what the geniuses will tell you to do

Graham J

Uber Support is a contradiction in terms! Today picked up an 18 minute ping and just as I was arriving pax cancelled. I did not receive any cancellation fee and when I quizzed "Support" they told me that I was more than 5 minutes late on my ETA. However the pax text me while driving advising me her APP was not updating my ETA. I couldn't read, let alone respond to a text while driving. Not passenger's fault, not my fault so who pays for my lost fuel and time?

LevelX

Hmmm another side issue of your location not updating then! Looks like 'uber' thought you still have been 18 mins away when you really had been much closer than that. :/

Who sucks that up? Well sadly it would be you. You could jump up and down and Uber might toss you a $10 cancel fee I guess. But you know what those monkeys are like in parting with money for drivers.

As for text/driving... Its a tough one. I do find on android the voice input works VERY well. So that can be a handy way to reply when stopped at lights etc.

I guess if the pax texts you and you see the text prompt, its best to pull over/stop to reply? Even more so with the ETA/car location all broken.

Graham J

Didn't see text until after the event. Driving at 110km/hr up the Calder does not leave much scope to deal with texts. This is a direct result of the same problem I've been experiencing since at least last Saturday and that is Uber is not properly updating tracking information or ETA to pax

LevelX

Didn't see text until after the event. Driving at 110km/hr up the Calder does not leave much scope to deal with texts. This is a direct result of the same problem I've been experiencing since at least last Saturday and that is Uber is not properly updating tracking information or ETA to pax
Yeah fair call.... freeway and texting don't mix too well.

Well for me, today was the only reports for about 2-3 weeks of my ETA/position not updating. It was updating last night as I was trying to find someone and the could see my car moving around while on the phone to them. So bit hit and miss if it works or not.

Graham J

Yep, not happening every ride but enough times to tell me something is wrong. Let's see what happens after I've reached out to the geniuses

Tom2828

Uber Support is a contradiction in terms! Today picked up an 18 minute ping and just as I was arriving pax cancelled. I did not receive any cancellation fee and when I quizzed "Support" they told me that I was more than 5 minutes late on my ETA. However the pax text me while driving advising me her APP was not updating my ETA. I couldn't read, let alone respond to a text while driving. Not passenger's fault, not my fault so who pays for my lost fuel and time?
You can blame only yourself lol
Hope you learned your lesson...

LevelX

You can blame only yourself lol
Hope you learned your lesson...
Oh Tom, Now if Ubers tracking was working, this wouldn't be a problem or a lesson needing to be learnt by anyone.

You also don't know the reasons behind accepting a long ping job, based on what has been said here I'm guessing Graham was on his way in towards the city, coming from far out west, there isn't a lot of jobs in the area and I'm guessing it was early morning, so its better to accept a long ping on the way you're going than to ignore it and go without.

I find your guys comments a little low, we're here to help each other. Graham was just giving us a heads up to the issue, and as a long time uber driver, I'm sure Graham knows all the 'issues' etc that you guys think you know better about.

This one is a new one to be aware of. The problem is we as a driver have no visibility of the issue until we're burnt.

Last edited:

Graham J

Thanks LevelX, I've tuned Tom and others like him out but you are right the long ping wasn't the issue it was the tracking and ETA failing to update on the passenger's APP that caused the issue. It happened to me twice last Saturday, about three times on Monday and twice yesterday but lucky only this one time resulted in a cancellation. Really hurts because the ride was going to be Gisborne to Sunshine cruising down the Calder and Western Ring Road in the middle of the day. I am engaging with Uber "Support" but going around in circles

LevelX

Really hurts because the ride was going to be Gisborne to Sunshine cruising down the Calder and Western Ring Road in the middle of the day
Oh thats a nice fare indeed to miss out on.

Well touch wood, no one has reported the pax app uber car location not updating issue today. Everyone had been out waiting for me, or only a min or two wait at most.

I did have a 8 min ping first up in the morning. The guy called to confirm I was coming as the ubers before him cancelled (ACRO'd, silly people). Said yep on my way and gave him a heads up that if my car isn't moving, I am coming. There have been some issues lately. I'll call when I arrive just in case it wasn't updating. He was thankful. He was out waiting, so it had been working!

Anyhow I arrived, it was a airport run! No wonder he called as he barely made his flight. He was checked in already, but when I dropped him off at the airport, he had 15 mins to get to the plane! He was a bit freaked out. He left me a 5* comment saying thanks for the trip and he made his flight. So nice to know!

So silly drivers that ACRO'd missed out on a $60 fare (before uber) to the airport.

Today was a good day! No min fares! all good trips. Can't complain!

Anyhow I'm waffling, back on topic now. Hopefully Uber can do something for you, but sadly I doubt they will :frown:

Graham J

Had a pax a few weeks ago saying the driver pulled into the driveway, ACRO'd and drove away without waiting. Same, same got a $50 ride to airport and a return ride to St Kilda.

LevelX

Had a pax a few weeks ago saying the driver pulled into the driveway, ACRO'd and drove away without waiting.
Wait, What!? Why!? Ummm ok..... I wonder if they seen the bags and then canceled. One of the guys here was banging on about they don't do airport trips anymore and cancel as soon as they see luggage!

And we're the silly ones!

Graham J

What sort of driver would see bags and high-tail it? That is illogical although there may have been a surge around the corner to go to the local train station. What a strange world we live in!

Graham J

Shock and horror, I forgot about that(not). Besides the economic flaws in that behaviour it really makes us look bad and gives the industry a bad name, just makes us bad as taxis