Photo Radar ticket

E85350z

I know this has probably been beaten to death. But I got a photo radar ticket in the mail...

I was flashed, for speeding, in Paradise Valley, on Tatum, on May 13th. They just mailed the ticket on July 7th. And I pulled it out of my mail box this morning. It took them almost 2 months to mail the "complaint". I have to either pay or appear in court by 8/10/16. Or I can do driving school 7 days prior to my court date.

If I decide to see if they serve me, how long do I have to wait them out? Is it 90 days from when I was flashed or from when they sent the "complaint"? Or is 90 days from when I am supposed to appear in court by? I know in Scottsdale the can do alternative service and just tape it to my door. But in Paradise Valley they have to actually hand me the ticket, is that correct? I live in Scottsdale, for what that is worth.

Sweitzeram

And I don't believe Scottsdale is doing alternative service anymore either... Just keep an eye on the site I posted a picture of.. It was say in the history whether or not the judge has authorized alternative service.

brian704

Simple since it is not certified and you don't sign it then you never got a ticket. So going to court or paying it and so on is just your decision. After X amount of time it is out of the system. They physically have to hand it to you.

TakinItUpWithUber

Unfortunately you committed the violation in the town of PV - the pioneer and the originator of photo radar. With lengthy experience on both counts I believe you just need to suck it up take the diversion course or just pay the fine. No way to avoid this one man sorry. Other valley cities maybe but Paradise Valley by far the most aggressive municipality in collecting photo radar fines. Can't just stick this one in the shoe box. They will come after you and it doesn't matter that you live in Scottsdale. And a matter of fact read somewhere 90% of violations are committed by non PV residents.

E85350z

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How fast were you going?
11 mph over. Its a $250 ticket.

And I don't believe Scottsdale is doing alternative service anymore either... Just keep an eye on the site I posted a picture of.. It was say in the history whether or not the judge has authorized alternative service.
What site is that? I don't see the link at the top.

Unfortunately you committed the violation in the town of PV - the pioneer and the originator of photo radar. With lengthy experience on both counts I believe you just need to suck it up take the diversion course or just pay the fine. No way to avoid this one man sorry. Other valley cities maybe but Paradise Valley by far the most aggressive municipality in collecting photo radar fines. Can't just stick this one in the shoe box. They will come after you and it doesn't matter that you live in Scottsdale. And a matter of fact read somewhere 90% of violations are committed by non PV residents.
I'm thinking I'll likely just do the driving course. I have a few days to decide. I've never had a photo radar ticket and haven't had a speeding ticket in 7 years. So, I may just bite the bullet on this one. My insurance, now that my wife and I are both 30, is relatively inexpensive, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Last edited:

lcwashinc

I know this has probably been beaten to death. But I got a photo radar ticket in the mail...

I was flashed, for speeding, in Paradise Valley, on Tatum, on May 13th. They just mailed the ticket on July 7th. And I pulled it out of my mail box this morning. It took them almost 2 months to mail the "complaint". I have to either pay or appear in court by 8/10/16. Or I can do driving school 7 days prior to my court date.

If I decide to see if they serve me, how long do I have to wait them out? Is it 90 days from when I was flashed or from when they sent the "complaint"? Or is 90 days from when I am supposed to appear in court by? I know in Scottsdale the can do alternative service and just tape it to my door. But in Paradise Valley they have to actually hand me the ticket, is that correct? I live in Scottsdale, for what that is worth.
I got a ticket in Paradise Valley on Halloween and was never served just got the ticket in the mail. You have 90 days from the date of the Ticket you receive in the mail to be served not from the date of the infraction. I never pay unless I am served. Once you are served however you mind as well pay for the ticket. So don't answer your door, or do yard work, They usually come on Sundays or Weekdays in the evening after 6pm. If you live in some Cities like Scottsdale they can serve you by alternate means like leaving it on your front door or Garage

Last edited:

Sweitzeram

It has nothing to do with when the ticket is mailed... Everything in the legal system has to do with when things are filed or served upon someone. There is no way to prove when something is simply mailed so that is never used as a starting point. It's 120 days from when the complaint is first filed with to court... Which has nothing to do with when the infraction may have taken place or when they have mailed a a notice. Tons of misinformation floating around on photo tickets. Trust me it's 120 days from when it's first filed. The proof is in the picture I attached as well.

Sweitzeram

And where you live has nothing to do with alternative service... Scottsdale city court doesn't just use alternative service on its own residents. I do believe they stopped the practice of alternative service all together though as many people have filed suit against the city over it.

lcwashinc

It has nothing to do with when the ticket is mailed... Everything in the legal system has to do with when things are filed or served upon someone. There is no way to prove when something is simply mailed so that is never used as a starting point. It's 120 days from when the complaint is first filed with to court... Which has nothing to do with when the infraction may have taken place or when they have mailed a a notice. Tons of misinformation floating around on photo tickets. Trust me it's 120 days from when it's first filed. The proof is in the picture I attached as well.
When you receive the ticket in the Mail it will have specific date on the ticket. That date is used as to when the clock starts before the ticket can no longer be served and the ticket will dismissed all together. 60 days from the date that appears on the ticket that will be mailed or you have received in the mail. I know because I faxed my ticket I received in the mail and she specifically told me, what date to look for on the ticket.

Sweitzeram

The only way the dates on a ticket you receive in the mail mean anything is if you acknowledge that you received it. When you have not been served with it or acknowledge receipt of the ticket it is 120 days from when it is first filed.

Sweitzeram

Maybe that particular courts process is to attempt service for 60 days after it was mailed but legally it is 120 days from when the complaint was filed.