1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Phones you have

Discussion in 'Raleigh-Durham' started by thebeardedgent, Sep 21, 2015.

1. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    I just began to start the process to become a Uber "partner" over the weekend. Just looking to do this part time as my part time job (OfficeMax on Glenwood Ave is closing). Hoping to make about $300 every two weeks. But any who...I have a Samsung Alpha (2014) will this phone work with the Uber partner app? I'm not going to rent a phone when I already have a smart phone that's newer than the companies minimum requirement. What phones do you guys have...? Is there any delay in pings/notifications?

2. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    The specs on that phone look good, It should work well.

I use a galaxy S4 with the only problem being I needed to upgrade the car charger and cord to high quality ones to keep it on for hours.

there is an app called "galaxy charging" that will show you how many amps the phone is charging at to check your cables/chargers.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  3. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks that's what I thought. I have a similar app on my phone. And my way plan was to get a better car charger as well. The one I have for my personal usage is a little old $5 one.

LAuberX likes this.
  4. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Good luck dude, it's a tough row to hoe but at least your income expectations are realistic. You need to drive drunks Friday and Sat. night to make the bucks. Fun starts about 1AM!

5. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    That was my plan, I was one of those drunks in Glenwood south back in my college days.

6. mystysue

mystysue

Driving:
    UberX
    Im not in your area and so not sure if this applies but I drive part time and usually do between 250 to 300 a week.
    I drive a couple hours after work and say 4 hours each on sat and sunday.
    Not sure your market is the same but I would say that 300 is very doable every two weeks.

I do not drive the late night group.. Im not fond of strange drunks in my car but that could very well be a girl thing.

7. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    When you say you "do" 250 to 300 a week, what does that mean? After expenses, ALL expenses not just gas, what do you have left, that's what you made. Uber confuses the heck out of this and people suffer from wishful thinking, using terms like earn, receive, do, make, .... to help people believe they are earning more than they really are, just listen to the radio ads.

In Raleigh, there is some money to be made Sat. or Sun. morning, a little during rush hour, but the bulk is Friday and Sat. 9PM-3AM.

thebeardedgent likes this.
  8. mystysue

mystysue

Driving:
    UberX
    that is before gas,etc. I average about 24 mpg, if i do not have many freeway rides But I am not a dummy and watch my expenses.. I start my driving in an area I am very familiar with and tend to not get very many short rides.

9. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Not saying anything about being a "dummy". People are fooled into believing they are making money when sometimes they are not or they are making less than they realize.
    In LA you get $1.00 a mile + .18 a minute - 20% so lets assume you get $1.00 per mile. For every mile you drive full, you probably go 1/2 mile empty (going home, getting to next fare, etc...) so you are getting .67 per mile you drive. Your costs per mile to operate your vehicle can be anywhere from about 30 cents to 50 cents a mile. So you aren't making much, are you?

OneloveUberRaleigh likes this.
  10. mystysue

mystysue

Driving:
    UberX
    Someone asked if it was possible to make 300 or so every 2 weeks.. My answer was to show that at least where I am i can.
    Btw.. I work with my bf in his business that he owns and most likely know more about what the real cost of doing business is than most here as I do all the bookkeeping year round (a cpa does the taxes off my profit and loss statements). so I do realize the cost of doing any business.
    So i was no way discounting the cost involved.
    I will say that NO I do not drive 1/2 mile empty for every mile i drive.. altho Im sure many do.. I work very hard to not have that many dead miles.
    (Not saying I never do but as a rule I do not) last night I drove 40 miles on uber with passengers. and ended up having put 52 miles on the car so 12 dead miles for the 40 I drove.

I truly believe that uber should pay better .. But there is some money to be made part time if you drive smartly.

11. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    I do have another question......I know Uber takes there fee, but what about States and Federal taxes...are they taken out of you earnings? Or do I need to sit aside 20% for taxes?

12. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    mystysuemystysue 52 miles for 40 paid miles is pretty awesome! If you can keep that up you will do OK. I think that it really depends on the market and how you want to work. In Raleigh traffic is heavily one way. Everyone wants to go downtown from 9 to midnight and go home from 12:30am to 2:30am so sitting and waiting where you dropped off is not going to work, especially late at night. I also do this really part time, and will do other stuff in between calls so I hate to sit in the car waiting for a ping, usually head home slowly after I drop off (I'm 3 miles away from down town).

thebeardedgentthebeardedgent State and federal taxes are not taken out. You need to keep good written records of your mileage. Every mile you drive while online (and going home after working) is deductible whether you have a pax in the car or not. I think it's $.575 a mile so that should wipe out most if not all of your earnings.

13. thebeardedgent

thebeardedgent

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks again. That's what I thought. Once I get approved I'm going to see is it even worth me driving. Currently at my part time I work about 15 hours a week and bring home about $240 after taxes every tword weeks. After expenses with Uber and taxes if it's less than that then it's a no go for me. I like to work smart not hard!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  14. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    your taxes won't be 20%, IF you log every mile when you have the app on. Log it in a notebook you get at Staples, keep it for 7 years in case of audits.

You should always put some money aside, it just won't be that much for taxes.

The standard deduction for miles is .57 cents per mile, so if you drive 100 miles and only get paid for 60 you did not "make" a penny.