Phone Stories

Karen Stein

I’ve been driving over three years, and I just bought my fifth phone.
The first four were Android based. #1 & #2 lacked the necessary something to run the apps without freezing. OK, so I move from the cheap phones to. $330 phone that was acceptable. I had to replace it when I changed carriers a year ago. Their $480 phone started acting goofy, ultimately making the GPS worthless .

So I took the plunge last week: I got an iPhone. Just what I need: a thousand dollar phone. I was in for a happy surprise.
First off, mastering it is proving easier than I expected. Both Uber and Lyft apps run a lot better on the iPhone. Best of all, it easily takes selfies through the Uber app - something the Android has problems doing.

Folks often ask for phone advice, and get a lot of waffling and techno-babble in response. I’ll make it simple: use an iPhone for ride share. Period.

sellkatsell44

So I took the plunge last week: I got an iPhone. Just what I need: a thousand dollar phone. I was in for a happy surprise.
If you didn’t get the SE I would be disappointed.

but yes, Apple is for pple that just want shit to work. Androids are for those who wants to twinkle with the phone or too stubborn to admit iPhone is better. Always was fun teasing my android friends that turn iPhone, they’re all on the iPhone train now (except one, stubborn mf but eh).

Jon Stoppable

but yes, Apple is for pple that just want shit to work. Androids are for those who wants to twinkle with the phone or too stubborn to admit iPhone is better. Always was fun teasing my android friends that turn iPhone, they’re all on the iPhone train now (except one, stubborn mf but eh).
Blackbearies are better because claws don't work on capacitive touch screens.

waldowainthrop

Which iPhone? I know the OS is the biggest deal, but there are a lot of iPhones.

I still haven’t got my head around the X/11 style without a fingerprint sensor and with that ridiculous notch, but I know their cameras and screens are great. So it’s an 8 for me. Most of the advantages of the X, but in a form factor that I actually like and at an actually affordable price. The new SE is the same thing but even better.

The new iPhone SE is the best value per dollar of any phone by any manufacturer right now. It’s an absurd amount of phone quality for under $500. Unless you have some sort of weird thing against iOS (don’t @ me) or have a budget of under $400, there isn’t a better mid-range phone right now.

ColdRider

If you didn’t get the SE I would be disappointed.
😍

As I read the OP, I thought the exact same thing. iPhone SE has the same processor as the 11 and the phone starts at $400!

I posted a thread asking if anyone checked out the SE yet. My 6s is finally starting to die after four years. Threads go to the technology section to die lol.

Anyway, marry me sometime. I'll worship you. 🥴

sellkatsell44

Blackbearies are better because claws don't work on capacitive touch screens.
But do they still exist? I thought blackberries went under/got eaten.
Which iPhone? I know the OS is the biggest deal, but there are a lot of iPhones.

I still haven’t got my head around the X/11 style without a fingerprint sensor and with that ridiculous notch, but I know their cameras and screens are great. So it’s an 8 for me. Most of the advantages of the X, but in a form factor that I actually like and at an actually affordable price. The new SE is the same thing but even better.

The new iPhone SE is the best value per dollar of any phone by any manufacturer right now. It’s an absurd amount of phone quality for under $500. Unless you have some sort of weird thing against iOS (don’t @ me) or have a budget of under $400, there isn’t a better mid-range phone right now.
i can’t go back to a smaller phone. I love the 11 pro max. It sounds so bad but it’s my splurge. I don’t have a car (city where I don’t need one and family/friends have cars on cars on cars. I’m the weirdo that would decline a ride and rather walk for excerise).

so it’s my iPhone/laptop/iPad all in one. Gave my iPad to my dad, brought one for my mom, and laptop is only for coding and other purposes (I can do this on iPad I’m told but prefer laptop).

but really I get my $$$$$ worth out of it. my commute is flat $100/month. No insurance, no gas, no car payments, nada.
Post automatically merged:

😍

As I read the OP, I thought the exact same thing. iPhone SE has the same processor as the 11 and the phone starts at $400!

I posted a thread asking if anyone checked out the SE yet. My 6s is finally starting to die after four years. Threads go to the technology section to die lol.

Anyway, marry me sometime. I'll worship you. 🥴

But I would buy an eleven for myself 😳😳.

waldowainthrop

I actually want an 11 Pro only for the camera. I don’t particularly need one, but that’s a phone I could live with.

It’s pretty hard to justify getting one that is twice as expensive as the SE (since the SE has the same processor and many of the same basic capabilities), unless you really need a bigger, better screen badly. I don’t begrudge people their phone budgets, since the difference between a $500 or $800 or $1000 is not that significant if you own your phone for 2+ years and don’t destroy it.

Jon Stoppable

But do they still exist? I thought blackberries went under/got eaten.
The Key2 goes out of production in August. Probably TCL has already stopped and is just selling existing stock.

Bear has a KeyOne which still has a few more years in it (bear hopes). Bear might have to buy a Key2 and keep it in reserve until needed.

The SE is impressive but it's transparently Apple's loss leader in trying to maintain market share because they are waaaay less dominant outside of the US, where OnePlus was far more popular. Apple likes their money and will figure out a way to get SE owners to give up more.

sellkatsell44

The Key2 goes out of production in August. Probably TCL has already stopped and is just selling existing stock.

Bear has a KeyOne which still has a few more years in it (bear hopes). Bear might have to buy a Key2 and keep it in reserve until needed.

The SE is impressive but it's transparently Apple's loss leader in trying to maintain market share because they are waaaay less dominant outside of the US, where OnePlus was far more popular. Apple likes their money and will figure out a way to get SE owners to give up more.
It’s like those free games with in app purchases or like whatever PlayStation/Xbox uses

I got the 11Pro Max, wanting the biggest screen possible. I’d use a tablet if I could be sure the Uber app would work with it.
I love mine. I carry it naked but have insurance and @ColdRider guessed my color right. XD

The Gift of Fish

The first four were Android based. #1 & #2 lacked the necessary something to run the apps without freezing. OK, so I move from the cheap phones to. $330 phone that was acceptable. I had to replace it when I changed carriers a year ago. Their $480 phone started acting goofy, ultimately making the GPS worthless .

First off, mastering it is proving easier than I expected. Both Uber and Lyft apps run a lot better on the iPhone. Best of all, it easily takes selfies through the Uber app - something the Android has problems doing.

Folks often ask for phone advice, and get a lot of waffling and techno-babble in response. I’ll make it simple: use an iPhone for ride share. Period.
You make the mistake of trying to group all Android devices under one classification of "Android phone", i.e.
Best of all, it easily takes selfies through the Uber app - something the Android has problems doing.
However, Android phones are made my many different manufacturers and are all different. They have widely differing characteristics and capabilities. It is pointless to compare an iPhone with one or two Android phone and then try to apply that comparison to all Android phones.

Period.

They're nice phones but I recently bought a Moto Z3 Play for $130, reduced from $500. It came with a snap-on extra battery which I wouldn't use, so I ebayed it for 30 bucks, bringing the total cost for the phone down to 100 bucks.

The quality of the phone is fine, it takes great photos with the Gcam photo app, it has a good screen and good battery life.

Last edited:

waldowainthrop

@The Gift of Fish There are plenty of great Android devices at all price points. There probably isn’t a better one right now than the iPhone SE in the $400 to $500 range. If someone prefers Android to iOS, there are also good Android phones at that price point, but not with a processor, screen, and camera remotely that good.

Mkang14

This again? Android is much better. Debates over. We can all relax now 😌

Is it possible that the issues with your Andriod devices occured because you had cheap deepo ones❓Yes.

I always get the latest Android phones, cost similar to iphone and love them. You should try a top level Andriod and then you can properly compare to the latest iphone.

The Gift of Fish

@The Gift of Fish There are plenty of great Android devices at all price points. There probably isn’t a better one right now than the iPhone SE in the $400 to $500 range. If someone prefers Android to iOS, there are also good Android phones at that price point, but not with a processor, screen, and camera remotely that good.
I did have one of Uber's iPhone 4s phones when they used to rent them to drivers, before Uber supported Android. It was very nice. But the 4.7" screen of the iPhone SE would be way too small for me now.

It just boils down to personal preference. I won't spend more than $200 for any phone, so that also rules out any Apple phone. As long as the phone works ok and does what I want then it's fine. There are many, many phones that are better than the one I have, but I don't need one that has the fastest processor, the best screen, the best camera etc. I'd rather have the money.

Incidentally, cheaper Androids are way better than they used to be. Google seems to be differentiating the performance of its phone cameras by software, not hardware. Which means that you can download the camera app for the Pixel 3, which has one of the best phone cameras, and it will work on just about any newer Android. The photos taken with my $100 Android with this app are amazing. The phone's screen is 1080p Amoled and it looks great. Plenty of storage and no issues with performance.

waldowainthrop

I did have one of Uber's iPhone 4s phones when they used to rent them to drivers, before Uber supported Android. It was very nice. But the 4.7" screen of the iPhone SE would be way too small for me now.

It just boils down to personal preference. I won't spend more than $200 for any phone, so that also rules out any Apple phone. As long as the phone works ok and does what I want then it's fine. There are many, many phones that are better than the one I have, but I don't need one that has the fastest processor, the best screen, the best camera etc. I'd rather have the money.

Incidentally, cheaper Androids are way better than they used to be. Google seems to be differentiating the performance of its phone cameras by software, not hardware. Which means that you can download the camera app for the Pixel 3, which has one of the best phone cameras, and it will work on just about any newer Android. The photos taken with my $100 Android with this app are amazing. The phone's screen is 1080p Amoled and it looks great. Plenty of storage and no issues with performance.
I agree with all of this.

I have some things I don’t like about Android as software and some things I don’t like about iOS as software, so I’d be the first to say that both the software and hardware are down to personal preference. There are good cameras out there at lots of price points and the software is good on both platforms (although for my taste in still photos and for videos, iOS has a small software advantage anyway). One thing iOS has that Android doesn’t is a good RSS reader app – it’s a niche thing but it’s non-existent on Android last time I checked. I do have an older Android tablet to test stuff on, so I’m not just guessing at it. The market for RSS readers died a few years ago on Android and even the indie ones aren’t good or supported anymore.

My ideal device would be iPhone SE specs and design with iPhone 11 Pro cameras, a metal back, and a 4.2 inch screen. Since that doesn’t exist for the $750 it would cost, I have a cheap iPhone 8 that I’m keeping for as long as I can.

sellkatsell44

If you don’t need the latest and greatest yes.

I use my phone as a kindle too, it pretty much is all in one for me. 😅😅