Uber Drivers Forum banner

Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport

6K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Jacob THE DRIVER 
#1 ·
I haven't searched through the threads about this, but I need to let everyone know:

On Friday, another driver and I were dropping riders off at the Phx Mesa Gateway Airport. A security lady stopped us both to inform us that Uber is absolutely not allowed to be anywhere on the Gateway Airport campus. Everyone with an Uber sign will have their license plates photographed. If they go there a second time, they will be fined $2,500.

She said this is because Uber won't pay the fees to enable us to pick up and drop off there.

She also said that if a driver drives for both Uber and Lyft, they will be required to prove with their app that the pick up or drop off is for Lyft and not Uber.

I emailed Uber about this and this was their response:

"We can confirm that drop offs are always allowed at both Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX) and Phoenix - Mesa Gateway (AZA).

As of June 18, 2016 all partners are able to pick up riders at Phoenix Sky Harbor. Upon entering the airport waiting lot, partners will be put in a first in, first out queue.However, pickups at Phoenix - Mesa Gateway are not permitted.

For PHX pick ups, please use rideshare pick up lane while for AZA pick ups, please use pre-arranged pickup lane - must have Sky Harbor badge."

I was told by the airport that we are NOT allowed to drop off or pick up.

I just started driving and didn't know about this or the Sky Harbor badge. Does anyone else have one? Where did you obtain yours?

See less See more
#17 ·
Except for the fact when I entered the Mesa airport to drop off a Lyft pax and turned the Uber app on I got this notice on my phone from Uber. So I will go with that.
View attachment 132456
James, thanks for posting that. A couple of days ago, I delivered an Uber pax to Phoenix - Mesa Gateway, but never got that warning, even with the drop off location being ''Phoenix - Mesa Gateway airport''. The app in fact led me directly to the front door of the airport. (Gee, thanks guys.)

I knew Uber couldn't pick up there, but always thought that the drop off was OK. I guess I was wrong. No one said a word to me, btw.

#4 ·
You can pick up Uber Passengers at the ASU facilities located in the airport area. I have done it many times. Keep both apps on while you are there. Lyft will be airport, Uber will be everything else.

Airport parking enforcement CANNOT give you a ticket. They can only send you a Notice of Violation (NOV). It will take an actual officer to give you a citation. Most of the cops at the airport don't give a flip what we do!!!

#5 ·
I pickup and drop off Uber PAX all day long at Mesa-Gateway,... if you go there with *just* an Uber Decal,... they'll give you a hard time. If you go there with a hybrid Uber/Lyft decal,... -just make your PAX tell Security (if asked), they were just dropped off by a Lyft Driver. ;)

Rectangle Vehicle registration plate Purple Sleeve Violet

I have BOTH decals on the front lower right of my windshield and, also on my rear tailgate. :p

I've NEVER been questioned by Mesa-Gateway Security. :cool:

What are they going to do? "Excuse me, I need to illegally acquire your phone so, I can see if you just picked up / dropped off an Uber PAX?" :eek:

Yeah,... lawsuit coming down the runway for sure :D

#7 ·
Nobody answered her question. I have been driving since November and had no idea about not being able to pick up or drop off Mesa Gateway.
with or without a Sky Harbor Badge. Did not know a sky harbor badge existed. You got a typical response from Uber. Very ambiquious. I suspect you
can pick this badge up at the Hub in Tempe.
I myself am not interested in how to circumvent policy. Not at a cost of $2500.00. Poster, you can expect more of the same. Beware of Tempe
the fines are steep! Why did you start driving?

#8 ·
Nobody answered her question. I have been driving since November and had no idea about not being able to pick up or drop off Mesa Gateway.
with or without a Sky Harbor Badge. Did not know a sky harbor badge existed. You got a typical response from Uber. Very ambiquious. I suspect you
can pick this badge up at the Hub in Tempe.
I myself am not interested in how to circumvent policy. Not at a cost of $2500.00. Poster, you can expect more of the same. Beware of Tempe
the fines are steep! Why did you start driving?
There is no badge, it's a Uber and Lyft logo, and yes, you can pick one up at the hub.
What fines are you talking about in Tempe. I don't go there because it's an entitled ratings killer, so I guess it won't be an issue, just never heard of people getting fined there.

#15 ·
I got a fine of $280.00 for Failure to Ober Traffic Control. This is at University and Ash. I just dropped off a pax and stopped at a Circle K right at this intersection. I pulled out of circle k, sat at the light for awhile. It turned green and I went straight. It is dark outside. Cop pulled me over and a guy on a motorcycle right away at the same time. Signage is on the pavement under my car as I was sitting at the light. Not sure to this day what I did wrong. it is a revenue generator for the city and the Court does not give a shit that it is a trap. I was $10.00 short of my first payment on the fine and the "computerized system" the court has in place immediately suspended my license and immediately sent the account to collections. This is government for the people?

#19 ·
Just standard operating procedure for uber.
Why would uber allow pax to schedule ride to Mesa knowing full well that that drivers are not allowed to drop off at airport?
I new before entering airport and removed uber logo.
Why wouldn't uber inform pax at time of request ?
Because as usual, uber puts the onus on drivers to be the bad guy.
Same goes for people wanting fast food and I explain that uber only pays for miles and at .072 min idling rings up at .35 cents for 5 min wait or $4.32 per hour to help pax get the hint and check their bill to confirm this info.
To be blunt you should tip your drivers in advance of requesting a stop for food is what I explain

#21 ·
drivers are not allowed to drop off at airport?
I don't believe this is true. Anyone can, and always has been, able to drop off at the airports.
The issue has been picking up. In the name of safety of arriving passengers, they want to vet those who are allowed to pick up. Of course they also want their revenue stream generated by fees charged for picking up. There are no fees for anyone for dropping off.
BTW, I never display trade dress except when picking up at airport. I just throw it on the dash as I am approaching pick up area.

#20 ·
Except for the fact when I entered the Mesa airport to drop off a Lyft pax and turned the Uber app on I got this notice on my phone from Uber. So I will go with that.
View attachment 132456
I wish that would happen, sounds like an easy way to convert them to Lyft. Give them your Lyft code, have them enter while your driving, and two miles from airport turn Lyft on and let the ping you. Collect another minimum fare and the new rider referral bonus that is easy money.

#26 ·
My Lyft average earnings this week over $15 per ride and Uber just under $10 both my share. Most days Lyft beats Uber I can remember a couple years when Uber was so steady some days hardly even got Lyft rides. I have taken advantage of some good scheduled rides on Lyft ( 5 for about $125) which has helped and yeasterday's back to back 50 miles and 40 miles by accident didn't hurt. It also surprises me cash tips with Lyft happening more.

#28 ·
I should think about adding Lyft again maybe. I tried back in March, but they wouldn't because I didn't have 12 months of ARIZONA driving history for them to look at. Uber didn't care, they just pulled history from my prior state of residence to get to 12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.