Phishing Scammer Rider caught red handed last Sunday

Driver InPDX

Got a pick up from a passenger named "CallUber" at 5:38pm and within seconds I got a text from him "Uber Support Team: Call once you have arrived at the pickup location". [RED FLAG, Uber never reaches drivers pretending to be a rider, while drivers are online]. After 3 minutes I arrived at pickup location NW of downtown, and then I called:

CallUber: Uber Support this Paul speaking
ME: I was suppose to call upon my arrival
CallUber: Yes I am speaking with the driver <my name>
ME: Yes
CallUber: There is no one there at this pick up location, thank you for calling the Uber support office, you can go ahead and cancel the ride and we will be giving you $5 credit for your cancellation OK?
ME: Alright thank you take care
CallUber: Alright sir what is your phone number on file for <my name>?
ME: Phone Number.... Don't you have my phone number?
CallUber: Yes we do, we need you to verify on this recorded telephone line
ME: Can you verify that you are from Uber?
CallUber: Yes Sir and how can I do that for you?
ME: Tell me what was the last trip I took?
CallUber: Sir just cancel the ride, thank you
ME: No you tell me, ha ha ha
... he then hung up.

At that point instead of cancelling the ride I decided to make money from this guy CallUber and waited until it showed "charging for wait time" and then I messaged him "Your Uber Ride Has Arrived And Waiting right outside your pickup location 1731 NW Glisen". And then I waited for the magic minute and cancelled the ride and made $4.05 off of him ...

Attachments

MedicMan

Got a pick up from a passenger named "CallUber" at 5:38pm and within seconds I got a text from him "Uber Support Team: Call once you have arrived at the pickup location". [RED FLAG, Uber never reaches drivers pretending to be a rider, while drivers are online]. After 3 minutes I arrived at pickup location NW of downtown, and then I called:

CallUber: Uber Support this Paul speaking
ME: I was suppose to call upon my arrival
CallUber: Yes I am speaking with the driver <my name>
ME: Yes
CallUber: There is no one there at this pick up location, thank you for calling the Uber support office, you can go ahead and cancel the ride and we will be giving you $5 credit for your cancellation OK?
ME: Alright thank you take care
CallUber: Alright sir what is your phone number on file for <my name>?
ME: Phone Number.... Don't you have my phone number?
CallUber: Yes we do, we need you to verify on this recorded telephone line
ME: Can you verify that you are from Uber?
CallUber: Yes Sir and how can I do that for you?
ME: Tell me what was the last trip I took?
CallUber: Sir just cancel the ride, thank you
ME: No you tell me, ha ha ha
... he then hung up.

At that point instead of cancelling the ride I decided to make money from this guy CallUber and waited until it showed "charging for wait time" and then I messaged him "Your Uber Ride Has Arrived And Waiting right outside your pickup location 1731 NW Glisen". And then I waited for the magic minute and cancelled the ride and made $4.05 off of him ...
Good job recognizing this as a scam. Unfortunately this does work for some folks as they are pretty gullible. I have an Australian number I used when I was in Australia and I give that out when I get scammers that want my phone number. They get confused because Australian phone numbers are only 9 digits.

I love confusing them. It is great sport.