Should Uber remove or setup an opt-me-out-of their new Driver selfie security feature?

• Uber immediately should remove its new Driver selfie security feature.

• Uber immediately should setup an "opt out" feature for its new Driver app security protocol.

• I think it's a good security feature for Uber Drivers, and it's not a problem.

Results are only viewable after voting.

StarFruit

Who can do anything to get UBER to remove/opt-me-out of their new "security" feature? Read details below on my position. Then respond to, "What's your position on this feature, and why?"

This new (Sept.-Nov. 2016) Uber security policy for UBER Drivers' "Real-Time ID Checks" is both sexually and racially discriminatory.* It's highly invasive of each Driver's daily personal privacy. It wastes Driver's precious time when one wants to login and then sign-on to drive, but then has to fumble around with taking a selfie. It also wastes time when the Driver then has to drive to a well-lit location to take that selfie, or when the clear photo that you do take still isn't accepted by the app. Besides the above reasons, what is a Driver able to do when at 6 P.M. she/he wants to start driving, and for no known reason the app's "Real-Time ID Checks" (a Microsoft technology) feature does not work properly in any instance? Uber Support no longer provides Drivers with direct access to it's email address that would otherwise have at least addressed your urgent email situation if not troubleshoot it.

This "security" feature currently leads to fewer drivers being on the road as it did for me today. In turn, it decreases the number of rides made available to waiting passengers. Legitimate drivers like myself also are now getting locked out from driving with their own Uber Partner accounts as a result of this new "security" feature.

So, perhaps Uber will be earning less revenue as a result? Perhaps Uber Drivers will simply switch and just drive for Lyft instead. Perhaps a class action lawsuit will be filed against Uber for this racist and sexist tactic that, according to their press release, is designed to remedy a major hole in their app's engineering design that has somehow been exploited?

Ever wonder why Uber doesn't enforce the "Real-Time ID Checks" upon all of its Uber's passengers? That would certainly ensure that the customer is who she/he says she/he is upon getting into a vehicle. It also would be one excellent way of protecting each Driver's personal safety! Currently, any passenger who goes by a display name of "T" or "[email protected]" can order an Uber ride at any time to be transported anywhere, which puts each Driver's personal safety at risk.

I TOTALLY OBJECT to this new Uber attempt to secure my Driver account via "Real-Time ID Check." I strongly urge your UBER to NOT implement the periodic face recognition photographs for my driver account. Immediately OPT ME OUT of the periodic security requirement!

I have already submitted too much personal information and lots of security data from my multiple background checks that got sent electronically to Uber and its business affiliates. My daily data, or personal appearance, is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS since I am not your Uber employee.

But Uber, do remove this security feature of the driver app, and please hurry up and find another way to reverse the hacks that have been made to your rideshare application. That way, I can proudly get back to servicing (with my +6 months of having maintained the highest 5* rating and excellent service to over 1,500 of) your customers and perhaps again enjoy Uber as one of my main side hustles.

**Since my petition is already long, I'll let others explain this to you in more detail in case you aren't aware. Also, you probably already know that a majority of Uber's Drivers include people of color AND people who are U.S. immigrants (with or without legal status?). In the year 2017, the U.S. will have a new Presidential administration. Each and every picture that an Uber Driver submits will appear slightly different from their printed photo ID, and will be stored on multiple business computer servers. There's no telling how your personal data can or will be used by any business or "new" government agency. . .

Last edited:

NASCAR1991

Lmao..is this guy one of those who shares a car with his brothers to get 120 rides in a week.
And it didnt accept his brothers photo.

It never been a problem for me. Takes 10 seconds. At night works fine with a regular inside the car lights

Truman

Strange Fruit, got a quote for you, Shakespeare.

"Brevity is the soul of wit"

You're smart , make good points, more compression and economy would be appreciated.

fml

Yeah, I've gotten it several times too. Hilarious as I haven't gotten a bonus for months and definitely would never be sharing my car with anybody else.

sfodriver

As a Lyft driver I hope we don't get this feature if pax aren't required to complete their profile properly. I picked up someone recently without a photo and only a single letter for their name. Last night I picked up a guy, verified his name, "Yes, yes", he was consumed with his phone call. Of course he got into the wrong car and wasn't paying attention. His driver called him and my real pax (who didn't have a profile photo) called me and we returned to the pickup point to swap pax and cars. Always so much emphasis on the company and the rider but nuthin for the drivers.

Strange Fruit

That's not me. It's funny you people probably think I like the "fruit" part of a name. If anyone googled the name, you'd probably know I'm a sicker person than you may have already thought. No one here is familiar with Billie Holiday's great recordings?
Also, he's not writing a whole bunch of kooky nonsense.....clearly not me (plus, I would never say something is racist & sexist....almost never, my name is kind of racist, but not in like a hateful way, it's just celebrating my North American ethnic heritage, my ancestors' glorious past).

It's a petition. I think he's testing the reaction here before bothering to take it further. It's attempting to make a strong case, as a petition should, to be sent to the appropriate parties for consideration. Skinnyasianguy will be here to tell him that the illegals should all go back to their drone destroyed homelands (god bless america). I don't think he realizes who is on here.
Any way, the petition is agreeable to me, except...why is it racist and sexist?
Instead of pointing that out, it should point out how the FBI's massive facial database frequently makes mistakes. Which in our case doesn't get us accidently jailed, just unable to work for a while. And then you can't write to support to ask them to fix it, cuz you have to log in to write to support. If it has any racial bias, maybe it's because the designers used a much higher ratio of one ethnicity to teach the software to recognize faces, and then it thinks "all black & Chinese people look the same" (that would be funny, sad, but funny). I'd think the people who design such tech would be smarter than that tho. Then again, they're humans, so what am I thinking.

Wait, I see why he says it's racist....sexist though? He's saying it's racist because when orange hitler starts using the FEMA camps to house the undesirables, it definitely won't be the whites. We already swept up millions of mexicans under Obama, and have thousands locked up awaiting deportation, or just waiting for death, (our American authorities aren't exactly the humanitarians they say they are). He's saying having all these pictures in servers could be a threat to their safety in the near future. I think that's what he's saying.

I've never had this happen yet, but I never log out. Does it only happen when you try to log in. I've been logged in for months. What's the point of logging out. I turn off location on my device any time I'm not working, but even if Uber wanted to know where I'm at all the time, I don't think they're that interested in me. And I frequently communicate with NSA officials through my email. I told them how proud of Mr Snowden I am. They never reply tho. It's like, pretty rude. They read my mail then just don't reply. At least Uber support replies. They send BS, but it's an effort.

Strange Fruit

As a Lyft driver I hope we don't get this feature if pax aren't required to complete their profile properly. I picked up someone recently without a photo and only a single letter for their name. Last night I picked up a guy, verified his name, "Yes, yes", he was consumed with his phone call. Of course he got into the wrong car and wasn't paying attention. His driver called him and my real pax (who didn't have a profile photo) called me and we returned to the pickup point to swap pax and cars. Always so much emphasis on the company and the rider but nuthin for the drivers.
You are allowed to use a nick name too, so the people don't know your real name. Some people do the single letter to protect them from stalker drivers. Especially women. They also often put a different address than their home address, then walk a few doors down. It's more important that Uber have a real record of who the person is, not that they put their real first name in the display. It doesn't really matter if you happen to know their first name. What would you say "the guy's name is Robert". Go find Robert. They just need to ensure that they have the real identity of the account, and of course the pic security feature would be just as relevant for them as for drivers.

GoatLove

That's not me. It's funny you people probably think I like the "fruit" part of a name. If anyone googled the name, you'd probably know I'm a sicker person than you may have already thought. No one here is familiar with Billie Holiday's great recordings?
Also, he's not writing a whole bunch of kooky nonsense.....clearly not me (plus, I would never say something is racist & sexist....almost never, my name is kind of racist, but not in like a hateful way, it's just celebrating my North American ethnic heritage, my ancestors' glorious past).

It's a petition. I think he's testing the reaction here before bothering to take it further. It's attempting to make a strong case, as a petition should, to be sent to the appropriate parties for consideration. Skinnyasianguy will be here to tell him that the illegals should all go back to their drone destroyed homelands (god bless america). I don't think he realizes who is on here.
Any way, the petition is agreeable to me, except...why is it racist and sexist?
Instead of pointing that out, it should point out how the FBI's massive facial database frequently makes mistakes. Which in our case doesn't get us accidently jailed, just unable to work for a while. And then you can't write to support to ask them to fix it, cuz you have to log in to write to support. If it has any racial bias, maybe it's because the designers used a much higher ratio of one ethnicity to teach the software to recognize faces, and then it thinks "all black & Chinese people look the same" (that would be funny, sad, but funny). I'd think the people who design such tech would be smarter than that tho. Then again, they're humans, so what am I thinking.

Wait, I see why he says it's racist....sexist though? He's saying it's racist because when orange hitler starts using the FEMA camps to house the undesirables, it definitely won't be the whites. We already swept up millions of mexicans under Obama, and have thousands locked up awaiting deportation, or just waiting for death, (our American authorities aren't exactly the humanitarians they say they are). He's saying having all these pictures in servers could be a threat to their safety in the near future. I think that's what he's saying.

I've never had this happen yet, but I never log out. Does it only happen when you try to log in. I've been logged in for months. What's the point of logging out. I turn off location on my device any time I'm not working, but even if Uber wanted to know where I'm at all the time, I don't think they're that interested in me. And I frequently communicate with NSA officials through my email. I told them how proud of Mr Snowden I am. They never reply tho. It's like, pretty rude. They read my mail then just don't reply. At least Uber support replies. They send BS, but it's an effort.

TL;DR

Strange Fruit

Maybe Strangefruit's cousin, Starfruit, was unable to pass for photo verification on Strange Fruit 's account so he's seeking our assistance in joining their accounts to a single photo, 2 Strange account.
A star fruit and a Strange Fruit are very different things. One is a delightful, but expensive fruit, like a more angular bell pepper and sweet. The other is an absolute horror, usually only eaten by vultures and maybe crows, and hopefully extinct by now.