• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Permits in Dallas Metroplex

Antonio Chavez

I got a ticket for not having Permit and doing uber in Dallas. My question is, if I get Dallas Permit, do I need to get permits for all the other cities around? Like Fort Worth, Denton, Plano, McKinney, etc. Do I need permits foe every city? If I'm Planning to drive only in Denton area who needs to give me the permits?

Thanks a lot!

everestsdad

Denton is the only other city besides Dallas that has rules that I know off but they have been looking the other since council and staff have not come up with an Uber/Lyft solution. I paid fees the first year and will not again unless everyone does.

libingbing

I got a ticket for not having Permit and doing uber in Dallas. My question is, if I get Dallas Permit, do I need to get permits for all the other cities around? Like Fort Worth, Denton, Plano, McKinney, etc. Do I need permits foe every city? If I'm Planning to drive only in Denton area who needs to give me the permits?

Thanks a lot!
Was it a camera ticket or from a police officer? Were you dropping off or picking up?

Bear75063

Yes, but when????
As soon as the Gov signs the legislation. Someone on here says he already has. The legiscan site that posts state legislation still says "Sent to Governor". Googled and haven't seen a story about him signing. But it will be in the next few days.

Volvonaut

lol my permits are good for 6 more days.... the timing of this could not be much more pertinent. Still waiting for Abbot to show us another pen trick.

Bear75063

That's the day Abbott is signing the bill. You got your full money's worth on your permits and won't have to spend a penny more on them again!
Nope! He's signing it Monday the 30th. Makes no difference, though. As long as he doesn't veto it, the thing becomes law anyways. [10th day after passing the legislature not including Sundays]

Bear75063

I get that we don't need a permit in Dallas now, but what about DFW Airport?
[shakes head and rolls eyes] No, no permits needed anywhere for drivers or vehicles!!!! :smiles:

Sec. 2402.003. CONTROLLING AUTHORITY. (a) Notwithstanding
any other provision of law, and except as provided by Subsections
(b) and (c), the regulation of transportation network companies,
drivers logged in to a digital network, and vehicles used to provide
digitally prearranged rides:
(1) is an exclusive power and function of this state;
and
(2) may not be regulated by a municipality or other
local entity, including by:
(A) imposing a tax;
(B) requiring an additional license or permit;
(C) setting rates;
(D) imposing operational or entry requirements;
or
(E) imposing other requirements.

VERY clear that no permits can be required of any rideshare driver or vehicle by any city or other local entity

(b) An airport owner or operator may impose regulations,
including a reasonable fee, on a transportation network company
that provides digitally prearranged rides to or from the airport.
(c) The governing body of a governmental entity with
jurisdiction over a cruise ship terminal may impose regulations,
including a reasonable fee, on a transportation network company
that provides digitally prearranged rides to or from the terminal.
(d) Regulations under Subsections (b) and (c) may not:
(1) conflict with the requirements of this chapter; or
(2) include requirements for drivers in addition to
those under Section 2402.107.

Airports, while able to collect fees, cannot conflict with the above (see red commentary) nor can it impose requirements for drivers above the state's requirements (18 yr old, licence, proof of insurance, background check)

(e) This chapter does not affect the ability of a local
authority, as defined by Section 541.002, Transportation Code, to:
(1) take an action described by Section 542.202,
Transportation Code, or otherwise authorized by Subtitle C, Title
7, Transportation Code, that allows the local authority to adopt
traffic rules in the jurisdiction of the authority if the rules are
applied to transportation network company vehicles and drivers in
the same manner as non-transportation network company vehicles and
drivers; or
(2) enforce a provision of Subtitle C, Title 7,
Transportation Code, or any other state law relating to the
operation of traffic on public roads.

The state realizes that it may have given carte blanche immunity to rideshare drivers to be exempt from traffic regulations so it made it plain we are not above the law. It also plainly states there can be no regulations on rideshare drivers that don't apply to everyone else. Example: if a rideshare driver picks up their rider in the "wrong place" they now cannot get a ticket because the general public cannot get a ticket for picking up in "the wrong place"

Coachman

[shakes head and rolls eyes] No, no permits needed anywhere for drivers or vehicles!!!! :smiles:
According to the notification email I got from Uber today we will be required to maintain an airport permit.

"Q: Does anything change around picking up riders at the airports?
A: You no longer need a City of Dallas permit to pick up riders at the airports in the DFW metroplex. However, Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) still requires an airport permit to pick up riders."