• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

perks for riders

aparks330

do drivers really hand out mints and water to their riders? i feel like that would be so awkward to present to them a bowl of mints and hope they take one. and then if they didnt take one i'd be like 'well fu then my mints deserve better'. i feel like the water would be warm? haha. i guess im just wondering if this is true or not.

RainbowPlate

No clue why at these rates.
Because some drivers can actually do basic arithmetic and see that a few 10-cent bottles of kiddie water and some Jolly Ranchers at $1.20 per pound are not going to bankrupt you -- but they might make the pax more pleasant, might lock in a good rating, and might even get you a tip.

There are many reasons to gripe. "I can't afford bubble gum..." is not one of them.

D Town

Because some drivers can actually do basic arithmetic and see that a few 10-cent bottles of kiddie water and some Jolly Ranchers at $1.20 per pound are not going to bankrupt you -- but they might make the pax more pleasant, might lock in a good rating, and might even get you a tip.

There are many reasons to gripe. "I can't afford bubble gum..." is not one of them.
The times I've been asked for water - Uptown - they asked for Fiji not kiddie water. Or once Gatorade. Hell you could cut out the middle man and just hand each of your pax a shiny .50 piece to "lock in your rating". If I'm not earning my 5 stars by providing a clean, safe, ride in a timely manner then no amount of candy is going to make up for my inadequacies.

Altima ATL

I am just not into cleaning up discarded wrappers and half empty water bottles after each trip, or having to wipe up half chewed Jolly Ranchers of the seat before the next rider rates me down for having a messy car.

UberLou

do drivers really hand out mints and water to their riders? i feel like that would be so awkward to present to them a bowl of mints and hope they take one. and then if they didnt take one i'd be like 'well fu then my mints deserve better'. i feel like the water would be warm? haha. i guess im just wondering if this is true or not.
The pouches on the back of my drivers and passenger side seats are see through. I buy bags of Life Savers Candy and Mints and just keep them in the pockets. The riders take them if they wish. I buy a 3 pound bag of them at a time and it will last me a little more than a month. The cost is minimal. I have a tiny trash can I keep in the back from the wrappers and other trash. Riders love the Candy.

Another Uber Driver

The air condition keeps the bottles of water cold enough. The air condition on both of my Fusions still works very well--on NORMAL setting, and this for a Washington summer. The UberXmobile is a 2014 and the taxi is a 2015. I have had only one passenger ever take the water--she asked me if it was allright. Of course I told her "yes". One or two have taken the Starburst, one even asked if he could.

I guess that people here expect it only for Uber Black. Most of the Uber Black drivers to whom I talk tell me that they have the candy and water. Frequently, I can see the water bottles, and, occasionally the candy, in their cars. I use the little kidde bottles of store brand water: they are not that expensive.

aparks330

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the little bottles make sense. i guess trying it out and seeing how it goes won't hurt anything. :smiles:

madUber74

I am just not into cleaning up discarded wrappers and half empty water bottles after each trip, or having to wipe up half chewed Jolly Ranchers of the seat before the next rider rates me down for having a messy car.
This is exactly why I don't provide freebies. Other posters are correct, small water bottles and certain candies are pretty cheap and don't cut into your bottom line very much if you're a frugal shopper (not as much as, say, a $0.50/gal gas hike over the course of the last 7 days has, thanks BP!!, but that's another story). I take no umbrage with drivers who do provide these things, it's their cars and if they want to provide extras and cleanup afterwards that's their prerogative. I just don't want to deal with the added mess. I get enough comments on the cleanliness of the car each week ("this is the cleanest Uber I've ever been in" is not uncommon) to reaffirm what I'm doing.

rtaatl

The air condition keeps the bottles of water cold enough. The air condition on both of my Fusions still works very well--on NORMAL setting, and this for a Washington summer. The UberXmobile is a 2014 and the taxi is a 2015. I have had only one passenger ever take the water--she asked me if it was allright. Of course I told her "yes". One or two have taken the Starburst, one even asked if he could.

I guess that people here expect it only for Uber Black. Most of the Uber Black drivers to whom I talk tell me that they have the candy and water. Frequently, I can see the water bottles, and, occasionally the candy, in their cars. I use the little kidde bottles of store brand water: they are not that expensive.
Funny thing is most UberBlack clientele don't take my water. Unless it's a Saturday night and a few had too much to drink. I get the 8oz bottles of Deer Park...15 pack for $2. Lasts me about 2 weeks. All in all it comes down to rapport with riders. I've received $20 tips from people who didn't care if I had water/mints or not. Yet I will say the customers and attitude on Uber Black is just completely different than X. Just wish I had consistent business.

D Town

The air condition keeps the bottles of water cold enough. The air condition on both of my Fusions still works very well--on NORMAL setting, and this for a Washington summer.
Live in Texas. The A/C just keeps you from dying here. It is in NO way going to keep water cold.

If I was doing a black car service that'd be another matter. More money, more services. You get what you pay for.

JMBF831

I'm still new, but so far I've given out 5 waters (16.9 fl oz Dasani) and haven't received a single dollar tip lol Still early, but it was a bit disappointing that not a soul decided a $1 for the water was worth it, never mind the fact that I safely drove them to their destination.

D Town

I'm still new, but so far I've given out 5 waters (16.9 fl oz Dasani) and haven't received a single dollar tip lol Still early, but it was a bit disappointing that not a soul decided a $1 for the water was worth it, never mind the fact that I safely drove them to their destination.
Slowly you will learn the lesson that it gains you nothing and loses you money to give out freebies.

Another Uber Driver

Yet I will say the customers and attitude on Uber Black is just completely different than X
.......same comparison between Uber Taxi and UberX passengers. If you want to know something really funny, when I get an UberX-er who is gaming the surge on Uber Taxi, he acts completely different from many of my UberX passengers. In fact, the only way that I know that he usually uses UberX is when he tells me.

rtaatl

.......same comparison between Uber Taxi and UberX passengers. If you want to know something really funny, when I get an UberX-er who is gaming the surge on Uber Taxi, he acts completely different from many of my UberX passengers. In fact, the only way that I know that he usually uses UberX is when he tells me.
What's also funny is I've picked up people with bad ratings and they act perfectly fine with me. Never had a problem on Uber Black with anyone.

Another Uber Driver

What's also funny is I've picked up people with bad ratings and they act perfectly fine with me. Never had a problem on Uber Black with anyone.

I have posted more than once that I do not pay that much attention to the ratings. I have had one-point-fives that were a positive delight to carry. There is one in particular that I had on Uber Taxi who knew that she had a lousy rating and was someone for whom I would have driven a little bit to pick up, she was that delightful to carry.

I did my "enough-to-stay-in-the-game UberX-ing to-day, and, had a four-point-two who was a decent, acceptable passenger. He got into the car, said "good afternoon, my name is [Four-Point-Two], is this [Another Uber Driver]?" I answered in the affirmative, he gave his address (he did not enter it into the application, but I do not fuss too much about that. I drive a taxi, so I do know where I am going) and went to playing with his electronic toy--nothing wrong with that. We approach his address, he tells me to stop, I stop, he gathers his stuff, opens the door, says "Thank you, have a nice day", I reply "Thank you, do you have everything?"; he answers "Yes, thanks for asking" and closes the door. This is an ordinary, acceptable passenger.

I get similar on Uber Taxi. There is a guy in the Atlanta Area who theorises that some of the reasons for these low ratings are that UberX drivers are low starring passengers for not tipping. The number of acceptable passengers that I get with low stars gives some credence to his remarks. To be sure, I get more demanding, annoying passengers on UberX than I do on Uber Taxi, but, I do get acceptable passngers on both with low stars.

I have gum and mints on hand, has worked for me numerous times, chicks asking their friends if they have gum, no? Bam there you go, bunch of suckers gettin dropped at the strip club, better take some gum fellas. I also keep cold water bottles in each door (they have special bottle holders built in) out of the cooler of ice I keep in the back, I simply make them aware of the water when i start trip. 75% so far take it, and they are usually thrilled and surprised that its cold, refreshing when its 110 outside. But bottom line still is I dont have to do all that because they would love me anyway because I am professional, polite, funny and confident as a person and in my abilities to navigate efficiently and safely, i do it out of the kindnesd of my heart and to provide convenience for my fellow human