$ per mile

SOmoe

Most drivers that have posted vids/hacks/reviews say they want to make $1 per mile. Just want to verify that this is while the passenger is in the car, not without.

dctcmn

My goal is >$1/mile average gross revenue for all miles (empty and loaded). My market pays .6375/mi + .195 minute and I average 2 minutes per loaded mile so that puts me at $1.0275 for the average loaded mile. So I pretty much have to pay for dead miles with tips, bonuses, surge, cancellation fees and minimum fares.

The other side of it is minimizing your expenses to the greatest extent possible. I've been under .13/mi in total cost of ownership and operational expenses for the last 2 years, but I drive a really old car and have been fortunate with repair costs.

It is possible to do in my market, but it takes a lot of discipline.

To me, $/mi is a measure of efficiency, but efficiency is only half of the picture. $/hr is measure of productivity and is the other half. You need both efficiency and productivity to maximize earnings.

SOmoe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My goal is >$1/mile average gross revenue for all miles (empty and loaded). My market pays .6375/mi + .195 minute and I average 2 minutes per loaded mile so that puts me at $1.0275 for the average loaded mile. So I pretty much have to pay for dead miles with tips, bonuses, surge, cancellation fees and minimum fares.

The other side of it is minimizing your expenses to the greatest extent possible. I've been under .13/mi in total cost of ownership and operational expenses for the last 2 years, but I drive a really old car and have been fortunate with repair costs.

To me, $/mi is a measure of efficiency, but efficiency is only half of the picture. $/hr is measure of productivity and is the other half. You need both efficiency and productivity to maximize earnings.
I usually focus on $ per hour. However today I took a look at my rides and have noticed that my longer rides are making less $ than my short rides per mile.

now I’m wondering if the short city runs, or guaranteed$20+ airport runs (usually one an hour) are the way to go....i really thought I’d have the hang of it by now, but instead I’m coming up with new questions after every shift 🤣

OldBay

I usually focus on $ per hour. However today I took a look at my rides and have noticed that my longer rides are making less $ than my short rides per mile.

now I’m wondering if the short city runs, or guaranteed$20+ airport runs (usually one an hour) are the way to go....i really thought I’d have the hang of it by now, but instead I’m coming up with new questions after every shift 🤣
Short trips with min fare put the least miles.

However, if driving a normal car that gets 50pct worse city mileage, your gas will cost alot more, especially if idling in gridlock.

And short start stop trips put more wear on brakes and xmission. And interior. More pax per mile. And sanity.

I think if you have a hybrid, short trips can be more lucrative, iff you are getting ctbs and quests. And tips.

Oth it's hard to beat highway trips that pay 45/hr.

I like a mix. It's impossible to line up btb long trips..short trips exist to reduce dead miles.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Short trips with min fare put the least miles.

However, if driving a normal car that gets 50pct worse city mileage, your gas will cost alot more, especially if idling in gridlock.

And short start stop trips put more wear on brakes and xmission. And interior. More pax per mile. And sanity.

I think if you have a hybrid, short trips can be more lucrative, iff you are getting ctbs and quests. And tips.

Oth it's hard to beat highway trips that pay 45/hr.

I like a mix. It's impossible to line up btb long trips..short trips exist to reduce dead miles.
Had one earlier pure highway miles $40 ~50 minutes.

Most drivers that have posted vids/hacks/reviews say they want to make $1 per mile. Just want to verify that this is while the passenger is in the car, not without.
I book plus/minus $1.25 per total miles driven each day. I usually book $20 per hour (including breaks) and do about 2 trips or more per hour. Weekdays starting at 5 a.m. and quitting early afternoon.

Dekero

At a minimum..... If not it almost becomes a losing game.... Although some drivers.... You know the retired bums who try to lose money....you know who you are halester....😆😆 Don't really care ..

tenor - 2020-02-28T125647.114.gif

oldfart

My dead miles to paid miles ratio is 1:1 and my average per mile (total miles) 0ver the last 2 years is $0.70

x rate here is $0.76/ mile and $0.10/min
Xl rate is 50% more than x

about 10% of my rides are xl and 25% are scheduled cash rides.

Gilby

f driving a normal car that gets 50pct worse city mileage, your gas will cost alot more, especially if idling in gridlock.
I get 29 mpg highway, 25 or so city. One benefit of driving in a small city - no traffic jams, no gridlock, ever. We get pretty upset if we don't get through an intersection on the first green light.

UbeRoBo

You left our extortion fees :p

SOmoe

I book plus/minus $1.25 per total miles driven each day. I usually book $20 per hour (including breaks) and do about 2 trips or more per hour. Weekdays starting at 5 a.m. and quitting early afternoon.
Yeah I would work the morning commute every week day if I could. I’m currently working around my husbands long hours. That leaves me w/half of the morning commute or nights. I end up changing shifts and days every week so it’s hard to analyze them to determine what’s the most profitable.
I did manage to make 23+ an hour yesterday and today, either it’s luck or maybe I’m finding my groove.

Mista T

Author
Uh, no... that is ALL miles.

I start my shift at 0 miles. I end it when I pull in the garage and turn off the engine. Then I do the math adding in cash tips (if any), and figure out $/hr and $/mile. So when the wife asks how the night went, I have 2 answers, and one involves money. The other is obvious based upon my prevailing mood, lol.

SOmoe

Uh, no... that is ALL miles.

I start my shift at 0 miles. I end it when I pull in the garage and turn off the engine. Then I do the math adding in cash tips (if any), and figure out $/hr and $/mile. So when the wife asks how the night went, I have 2 answers, and one involves money. The other is obvious based upon my prevailing mood, lol.
I have the hardest time sitting between pax, I always drive to another location adding (most likely) unnecessary mileage. But sitting feels like torture

Jst1dreamr

I have the hardest time sitting between pax, I always drive to another location adding (most likely) unnecessary mileage. But sitting feels like torture
I have a hard time sitting between pax also especially if they both have big butts...:roflmao:

Aw Jeez

Look, as an employee we usually only look at what we make per hour. STOP DOING THAT! As a business owner (which is what you are), you must look at how much it costs you to make that revenue. Your car ain't free - it's GOING to cost you something. You, Mr. Businessman, your goal is to keep your expenses to a minimum.

In my case, my car costs me $0.30 for EVERY mile I drive it - no matter what I'm doing. Drive to Walmart for groceries? $0.30 per mile. Drive for Uber? $0.30 per mile. That number includes fuel ($0.08), loan, insurance, tires, oil changes, maintenance, and is based on an annual mileage of 37,000 which is about what it's been for the last few years.

So if I make $2,000 per month from Uber, say, but I drove a total of 3,000 miles (business and personal), then my vehicle cost was $900 ($0.30 x 3,000) for a net monthly profit of $1,100. I could improve that number if I didn't put so many personal miles on the car...OR...if I was better about limiting my "deadhead" miles (i.e. business miles without a passenger onboard).

Incidentally, with Uber, I gross about $0.77 per mile (total Uber revenue divided by total business miles driven). I wish it was $1.00 per mile, but it ain't. So with simple math I can figure out that $0.77 per revenue-mile minus $0.30 per mile cost gives me a profit of $0.47 per mile. Not great, but at least I'm making more than the car is costing me to operate.

It's easy to get lost in the numbers! So keep it simple. Figure out what your car costs you per mile to drive it. (Again, be realistic - don't just look at what it costs you to do ride-share. The car doesn't know or care what you're doing with it - all it knows is that it's driving - burning gas and wearing out the tires.) Then it'll be easy to figure out how much you have leftover (i.e. profit) at the end of the month. And really, isn't that what counts the most?

oldfart

obviously the best strategy for maximizing dollars per mile is to work where a ride takes you ie park and wait for the next ride. Unfortunately there may not be folks there looking for a ride. And driving around hoping to find a rider can mean a lot of dead miles

I’m with you....finding a balance between wasting time waiting and wasting miles driving around aimlessly has to be found

My strategy is this: I have several favorite staging areas scattered throughout my market area. When I drop a passenger I drove to my nearest favorite staging area and wait there if nothing happens there after 15-30 min I drive to another of my favorite spots