• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pepper Spray, Stun Guns, other Self-Defense in New York

While driving, for self-defense I...

• Total voters

Maven

Do you currently carry personal protection when driving Uber/Lyft? If so, what?
Uber's TOS prohibits firearms, but seems to ignore other types of self-defense.
Some people prefer brass knuckles, a "billy club", karate classes, or other self-defense training.
Others argue that a Dash Cam is a good deterrent and the best defense against spurious rider accusations.

How important is training to use your weapon of choice? Where to go for training?

Have you researched the relevant NY state laws for carrying/use of these weapons?
Some of them are currently available in local retailers, not to mention Amazon, Ebay, and other vendors.

There have been lots of stories of Uber/Lyft drivers being attacked by passengers.
The percentage appears to be quite low, but I have yet to see any reliable studies.
Objectively, drivers have greater risk of random attack because we encounter the general
public more. Regardless of the actual risk, would you feed safer carrying self-defense?

The laws in NY appear to favor use of Pepper Spray over Stun Guns.

Local Pepper Spray Laws (as of 2014)

Pepper Spray Legal in NEW YORK with restrictions. The possession by persons who are not felons or who have not been convicted of an assault, 18 or over for the protection of person or property and its otherwise lawful use is legal. The definition is “a pocket sized spray device which contains and releases a chemical or organic substance which is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. There are certain labeling requirements. Sales require both a seller’s license and the completion by a purchaser of a registration form. New York residents may only purchase from licensed Firearms Dealers or licensed Pharmacists in that state. No more than two sprays may be sold at any one time to a single purchaser.

Local Stun Gun Laws (as of 2017)
In NY look here and New York Penal Code 265 Law.
NY does not permit the public to purchase stun guns for protection.

Signal Twenty

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have one and not need one - rather than need it and not have it. I carry a gun legally everywhere I go. The peace of mind is worth it for me.

I know it's harder to get a CWP in NYS, but if you can...just remember that Uber is going to say #byefelicia anyway. I'd rather be alive to hear it.

You don't need a weapon. But you can have a tire iron in the car. If you have a baseball bat in the car make sure you carry a baseball glove. It will help in court!
If you can't carry something else for whatever reason - then this is sage advice...I used to carry a wooden dowel that was a little bigger than one of those mini-bats they give as promos at games...got pulled over by a cop one time...told him it was to help de-ice my car (it was winter) and he bought it.

Big man xl

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have one and not need one - rather than need it and not have it. I carry a gun legally everywhere I go. The peace of mind is worth it for me.

I know it's harder to get a CWP in NYS, but if you can...just remember that Uber is going to say #byefelicia anyway. I'd rather be alive to hear it.

If you can't carry something else for whatever reason - then this is sage advice...I used to carry a wooden dowel that was a little bigger than one of those mini-bats they give as promos at games...got pulled over by a cop one time...told him it was to help de-ice my car (it was winter) and he bought it.
For the scum in Mount Vernon you will need a few assualt rifles!!!

Big man xl

From what I've learned an assualt rifles takes a clip and is also a semi automatic a regular rifle doesn't take a clip and fires one at a time. Fortunate for me my grandfather was a marksmen in the army. So he taught me to shoot when I was 6 years old. In my life I've shot at least 25-30 different rifles.