Pending Michigan regulation

Brady

The Michigan House Energy & Technology Committee met this morning to take testimony on HB 5951 which will regulate TNCs and their drivers. The bill basically reflects current Uber & Lyft policies with a few changes. Nothing in the bill appears to impose any new costs on drivers, It's an attempt to protect Uber and Lyft from additional future regulation, particularly by cities. Uber & Lyft support the bill. The Michigan Municipal League and taxi industry oppose it, although their concerns were shut down by the Republican majority who suggested they simply modernize and become TNCs to avoid the heavy regulation currently imposed by some municipalities. About two dozen drivers and riders representing all local markets in the state were present at the hearing to testify in support of the bill. The bill is expected to become law before the end of the year.

House Bill 5951 in summary:

Drivers will not need additional insurance beyond common personal insurance and the level of primary and contingent insurance currently provided by Uber and Lyft.

Drivers only need a state chauffeur's license if transporting 9 or more pax.

Drivers must be 21 years old or older.

Drivers cannot have had a DUI in the past 7 years, be a sex offender or have been convicted of a list of certain crimes.

Drivers cannot have had 3 moving violations or 1 major violation in the past three years.

Drivers will be required to have signs on their car that meet certain specifications (not currently used by most drivers).

Safety inspections will be required for all vehicles including those not currently inspected in the outstate markets.

TNCs will need to provide both a customer support telephone number and e-mail address.

No street hailing will be allowed.

Surge pricing will continue to be allowed with disclosure on the rider app.

Local government are prevented from enacting regulations on TNC drivers.

The existing Limousine Transportation Act in repealed.

Full text is here: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2014-HB-5951

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 84

MEB

Sounds like we will be getting some new signs from Uber soon. The whole no parking in taxi spots is bullshit, we have to be able to park somewhere just like the taxis do I'm not wasting gas driving around when there are plenty of open taxi spots. I'll end up getting a ticket for parking at a business for too long.

Brady

Sounds like we will be getting some new signs from Uber soon. The whole no parking in taxi spots is bullshit, we have to be able to park somewhere just like the taxis do I'm not wasting gas driving around when there are plenty of open taxi spots. I'll end up getting a ticket for parking at a business for too long.

I'm not sure how Lansing works, but I can't think of any taxi spots in Grand Rapids other than at major hotels and the airport. And we're already not allowed to park there. GRPD doesn't strictly enforce no parking zones for Uber drivers or taxis provided you're in your car and there is some indication you're a taxi/TNC service. The exception is highly trafficked areas where taxis aren't allowed to park either.