• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Penalty rates for Sunday, holiday work to be slashed

Ubernaut10

Its all good.
FWC is following the uber model.

Slash rates, = more employment=work more hours,....
To earn what you used to earn.

Simple.:confused:

Uberx zoom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its all good.

My thoughts exactly.

Accourding to the RBA pepole currently carry heavy cc and mortgage debt. Most are deep in the crapper and then they come and slap them with this "work more for less" nonsense spin.

What could possibly go wrong .... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Overuber

Its all good.

I was going to make the same comment, UBERs fare rate cut by 15% was meant to create more activity and FWC have made the same point, it will generate more work, so the worker doesn't lose money, they just have to work more hours for the same money. Fk me, I'm no Einstein but that in my understanding that means a fkn pay cut. FWC is following the UBER model, this is the way the world is going and they try and feed us a load of BS to sell what is a blatant paycuts to people who can least afford it!

Infrequent

Current Sunday workers lose. Those with increased hours or new jobs gain. Winners and losers. And if there are more workers and more shops open, more need for transportation services. I struggle with the exact math.

onTheMove21

Just shows again one rule for low paid workers and another for pollies. Pollies get pension for life and never had a pay cut supposedly from their own independent remuneration tribunal.

If business owners and big corporates can't make money operating during the busiest days (weekends) then they should close shops and do something else. Like Uber if I dont earn a profit, I dont drive.

Moober68

Current Sunday workers lose. Those with increased hours or new jobs gain.
How?

Its a FWC standard not a payslip. Depending on how the current workers are contracted, their conditions may not necessarily change. New ones will be able to be hired on 'new' FWC standard with less penalty on Sundays. Still overtime but not as much as 'current' workers. Casuals might cop a change straight away as they are on ad hoc basis and employers can be more flexible.

If employers had to 'close on Sundays' because they 'couldn't afford to pay high penalty rates' before, then their staff were not working on Sundays anyway.
Somebody will be 'offline for surge' either way. :biggrin:

Pauldar

Working on weekends are low paid jobs anyway, they would get even lowere and weekdays working highly paid CEO and hierarchical bosses gets fat payrise for getting good results. Creating disparities in society

Woodman62

Working on weekends are low paid jobs anyway, they would get even lowere and weekdays working highly paid CEO and hierarchical bosses gets fat payrise for getting good results. Creating disparities in society
Yes working on weekends or any time after 3.30 during the week means you get paid double time if you are a CFMEU construction worker. Typically FWC target the litttle fish who work in a shop or at a cafe but of course the CFMEU whose workers get 26 RDO's per year, a paid picnic day, travel allowances, 36hr week and over $40 per hour in standard time are untouchable !!

Uberx zoom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes working on weekends or any time after 3.30 during the week means you get paid double time if you are a CFMEU construction worker. Typically FWC target the litttle fish who work in a shop or at a cafe but of course the CFMEU whose workers get 26 RDO's per year, a paid picnic day, travel allowances, 36hr week and over $40 per hour in standard time are untouchable !!
A perfect example as to why strong Unions are a bloody good idea. Who in his right mind going to dare touch construction workers work conditions...

I like!

This country is starting to go backwards.
You are not too far off. Those little thing that make this country great are being stripped away from the working class bit by bit. The spin may often sound different but the screwing feels just the same ... and the big cats just getting fatter.

ubermercury

FWC (formerly known as FWA) spent two years taking submissions and researching the facts.
They decided that Sunday penalty rates should be aligned with Saturday's penalty rates.
In the face of the evidence they took the least difficult decision in the interests of the economy. It's hardly earth shattering reform.

... and it's not simple, it's actually complex.

Edited for benefit of new FOS

Last edited: