1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pedestrians in Crosswalk - New York City

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Glock19, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Glock19

Glock19

Driving:
    UberX
    Hello,

When a driver makes a turn and pedestrians cross the street in the crosswalk in NYC, is the driver obligated to yield to peds until the WHITE walk sign goes off, or until the RED counter comes to 0?

And how do you deal with peds crossing on their RED signal, especially when you have a green arrow?

Thanks

2. Always yeild if you have a pax.
    I will drive a little more aggressive when I don't have a pax, but when I do have one I am very cautious. In major markets like yours or in San francisco, a lot of our pax don't even own a car, which means they will always look at it from a pedestrian point of view.

LyftNewbie10 and Uber's Guber like this.
  3. Zebonkey

Zebonkey

Driving:
    UberSUV
    You use your horn, roll down the window and yell at them.
    Real New Yorkers do not ask these kinds of questions.
    They just know, what to do.

Mista T, Julescase, JimKE and 2 others like this.
  4. In most areas if the sign turns red when they’re already in the crosswalk, you yield. If the sign is solid red before they leave the curb, you have right of way if it’s safe and legal to turn, but watch for them anyways because people are dumb. ;)

drive4lyft69 and SibeRescueBrian like this.
  5. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    If in doubt, always give pedestrians the right of way.

Why wouldn't you?

You're never going to get dinged for letting pedestrians go in front of you. Not by the authorities, and not by your passengers. It costs you nothing more than a few seconds.

I find that being gracious always pays dividends. And you'll like yourself better. Or at least I do.

Christine

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  6. Red

Red

Driving:
    UberX
    A few seconds?! Lol. Have you been to NYC recently? Please do come visit.
    The theory (and the law) is that pedestrians may start crossing when signal turns to "Walk" . When "Don't Walk" starts blinking they may finish crossing but SHOULD NOT enter the intersection. In reality they never really stop until traffic starts moving directly at them. And always have the right of way anyway.
    Very often the only way to make a turn in Manhattan is to push slowly through the endless river of pedestrians that are breaking the law and cursing you while kicking your car simultaneously. And you may get a summons from a cop that's short on quota if he is observing it too. Welcome to NYC!

7. That's how it works in third world countries to...

8. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    For todays monkey lesson...

Three modes of driving...8>)

1. When you are waiting for a ping...

You drive slowly using crosswalks...

To SLOW your forward progress...

2. When you have a ping...

You drive fast...unless you get...

A possible premium pickup fee...

To get there and get your pax in the car....

3. When you have pax in the car...

You drive slowly to the destination...

Unless of course the rider has a big tip...

Then you drive ANYWAY they want...

There will be exceptions...

Those you sort out for yourself...

End of the lesson...Good Luck...8>)

Rakos
    tyler-rox.jpg

9. Pulledclear

Pulledclear

Running them over is clearly the best option. Sooner or later they will get the hint. Way to think it through. I see a promotion into Uber management in this one. Its this type of problem solving ability that makes Uber shine. Great work You're going places!

10. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    I always play the Death Race 2000 Game with pedestrians. Below are the point values for killing pedestrians with relation to their age and gender.

To recap those revisions: women are still worth 10 points more than men in all age brackets, but teenagers now rack up 40 points, and toddlers under 12 now rate a big 70 points. The big score: anyone, any sex, over 75 years old has been upped to 100 points.

11. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Is it true their middle fingers are their strongest fingers, from all the work?

12. I made the mistake of driving in NYC back in 2011.
    You simply CANNOT make a right turn. Pedestrians just won't stop.

Taxis would be behind me honking. Didn't know what to do.

Finally I started seeing what the taxi drivers do.

Very slowly start pushing yourself forward.
    Very slowly.
    So slow what crowds can still walk in front of your vehicle.
    Eventually they're only able to walk behind it or sometimes they actually stop once you're completely blocking the cross walk.

Slow is the only way. But don't stop moving forward.

SibeRescueBrian, Red and Rakos like this.
  13. Atom guy

Atom guy

If only this were true

14. How did you get a DL? Consult the drive NY drivers manual.

uberdriverfornow likes this.
  15. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    If you do that in Manhattan, NYC, you'll never make your turn.

It's never just one or two pedestrians. They're counted by the dozens, day and night.

Rakos likes this.
  16. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    NYC is fourth world.

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  17. So this one time in egypt I'm with some buddies and we are playing tourist... Were in this ratty old rental car, the ONLY way you can make turns is by pushing through.
    (this was before the 2013 revolution)

Safe?
    eh..

the ONLY way?

Yes.

I'm talking no cross walks, crowds of people, and wondering why cars are allowed on these streets at all...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  18. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    image.jpg
    And who said that birth control should be a thing of the past. Can you imagine Ubering in this everyday for $.70/mile

image.jpg
    Don't forget that four legs have more rights than four wheels in some countries, and what the hell is that brown pile of Uber doing in the middle of the lane?

19. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    The rest of the world is overpopulating too fast for their own good. Statistics show otherwise about population related to famine and disease. China did mandatory population control in '58 and again in '79 to ensure that population didn't outpace food supply and medical treatment. By 2015 all restrictions were lifted as this once third world country is now a superpower.

Sally Struthers, a famous American actress started an aggressive awareness campaign back in the 70's for world hunger in which billions of dollars have been donated to. It's been 40 years and the problem has only compounded. The common factor with hunger has always been overpopulation.

By the way, these are what the roads look like in my state. If you look close enough you can see that Wylie E. Coyote is still chasing that damn roadrunner.
    image.jpg

SuzeCB and Rakos like this.
  20. You grumble about their stupidity and wait for it to clear.