• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Payment Processers

oldfart

I think I have it drilled down to an issue of nomenclature. There are "Contractors", "Sub-contractors" and "Independent Contractors". Ok so far? They are in order of actual "independence". Definitions: A "Contractor" interfaces with the government, the client, and the "Sub-contractors". "Sub-Contractors" are independent but working under the supervision of the "Contractor". The Contractor gets paid by the client then pays the Sub-contractors. Contractors work on client projects per budget, specifications, and schedule. A Contractor is either on the job or off the job depending on the satisfaction of the client. Therefore, in terms of the specific job, Contractors and Sub-contractors are not really independent. An Independent Contractor, however, is. They are neither Contractor nor Subcontractor. They are brought on to create a result. Contractors are used in construction most commonly, but they can also be in media and marketing. A Contractor will not hire an Independent Contractor, because an IC is not bound by the constraint of the job. However, an Independent Contractor is brought on by a client when something has to be done in a range of time, approximately to their specifications, and with quality. If a client makes demands on the IC, then they are where AB5 is. Classifying as Employee instead. True we are IC in the contract sense, but the Contractor keeps his clients as his for repeat business, and we do not. A contractor hires a company for leads, and we do not. We are told where our next ride will be picked up. That is not a lead. That is an option. The rider is not our client. Uber is our client. The rider is their client. Payment Processors do not have the clients.

If a driver were to get deactivated by the payment processor, are they still "in business"? And if so, what changes are necessary for this to happen?
Three things

Uber is more than just a payment processor to us they also connect us with passengers and by the way most of the drivers ive met, do retai their customers for future business

Your distinctions between contractor, sub contractor and independent contractor are lost on me

The way things are today is that the passenger is our customer and we are ubers customer

LADryver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Three things

Uber is more than just a payment processor to us they also connect us with passengers and by the way most of the drivers ive met, do retai their customers for future business

Your distinctions between contractor, sub contractor and independent contractor are lost on me

The way things are today is that the passenger is our customer and we are ubers customer
Passenger is Uber's customer. Customer reports back to Uber, Uber makes us answer for it, or we get deactivated because of it. Customer retention is against TOS.

Last edited: