• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pay us by the hour.

Eugene73

I believe if we would get paid an hourly based rate from the time we accepted a request until the passenger is dropped off it could help the entire rideshare system. Raised wages with high demand should still be in effect.
Everyone gets paid the same sounds like communism. You wanna make bank you’re gonna have to learn the side hustle or better yet goto work at macdonalds if you want hourly slave wage

phoneguy

I live near Pittsburgh so I am going to use the rates for that area. So I am going to use the 75% driver take home per ride. We do get an hourly rate, the per minute charge of $0.24 or $14.40 / hour (when the passenger is in the car), we then get on top of that the Mileage. So when I gas up, I always reset my trip counter and it give me an average miles per hour per tank, so I have 25 mph, so you take the 25 times the $0.6525 per mile rate, you get $39.15 / hour. I know you don't get that much per hour since you have all the time between passengers getting into the car, but for me, I average about $27/hour before expenses, and my take home once you take out the car expenses, is still about $15.50 to $16 per hour and I even included personal driving so I get a car completely paid for by my uber/lyft driving.

Here is why everyone complains about driving, they don't use their head when it comes to when and where. Pittsburgh for example, there are currently 51 to 55 drivers setting at the airport (usually much higher in the 80 and 90s, 9:30 am on a tuesday) and according to Lyft, it is a 35 to 78 minute wait for a passenger, and the best you can hope for is a ride to downtown for $25. So you waited 55 minutes (average) and then have a 35 minute drive for a total of $25 take home, that is killing your average.

The other problem is the cars people drive to do uber, I drive a Prius, my son also does uber and he drives a hybrid ford Cmax. We have over 40 miles to the gallon. I see people in down town driving minivans with only on passenger, you don't get a lot of uber xl, you get mostly uberx, but your gas mileage is half or lower, and I kid you not, there are 3 people I have seen, driving uber in trucks, (dodge ram extended cab) or even Jeep Wranglers. The Miles per gallon, and cost of the vehicle, and so one is just eating up all the money. I drove a Hyundai Sonota and by switching to the Prius, I was able to save enough money in gas per month to make the car payment and have an extra $100.
So use your head and start looking at the big picture, realize, you don't work for uber, you drive for yourself and you control how much you make and how much your expenses are. Make wise choices, plan ahead. You are a business now, you have to plan for the future or you will FAIL.

No Prisoners

Everyone gets paid the same sounds like communism. You wanna make bank you’re gonna have to learn the side hustle or better yet goto work at macdonalds if you want hourly slave wage
Glad you mentioned communism where the tyrants dictate to subjugated society (the proletariat or partners as uber calls drivers) all terms without allowing for dissent.
Uber sets rates while drivers must accept or be deactivated by restricting access to the platform. Uber saturates markets with drivers making individuals expendable.
Drivers can not negotiate any terms of services, all dictated at will by the ruler.
Just as in communist systems uber holds all control and executes by deactivation dissenting drivers without recourse.
Who's the communist here?

Oscar Levant

For about the tenth and the last time you are not getting paid a flat rate by the hour. You are getting paid for time not distance. Timer starts the second you accept a trip and stops the second you drop off. If you drive 5 minutes out of an hour you get paid for 5 minutes. If you drive for 60 you get paid for 60.
I'm getting per mile and per minute. You're not?

Christinebitg

The fantasy that I see in this thread is that somehow, some way, people are expecting to get more money for unskilled work.

You want more money? Get a real job.

AvisDeene

The fantasy that I see in this thread is that somehow, some way, people are expecting to get more money for unskilled work.

Picking up people and taking them to their destination safely and efficiently is a real job. People were making more money doing this until Rideshare entered the game. Don’t blame the workers for the bad environment that greedy monopolistic companies impose on them through their shady dealings with the government.

Nats121

How much are YOU making doing this "unskilled" work?

Whatever it is, it's probably too much.

Let's see you lead by example and demand that uber and lyft slash your pay to the rock bottom levels that such lowly unskilled work deserves.

Last edited:

ProudPappy

Glad you mentioned communism where the tyrants dictate to subjugated society (the proletariat or partners as uber calls drivers) all terms without allowing for dissent.
Uber sets rates while drivers must accept or be deactivated by restricting access to the platform. Uber saturates markets with drivers making individuals expendable.
Drivers can not negotiate any terms of services, all dictated at will by the ruler.
Just as in communist systems uber holds all control and executes by deactivation dissenting drivers without recourse.
While what you stated is true, the freedom and flexibility that working for drive companies makes up for that. Just think, it could be all that you stated, AND you have to work specific shifts (get paid by the hour would / could take this job to that place).
Post automatically merged:

How much are YOU making doing this "unskilled" work?

Whatever is is, it's probably too much.

Let's see you lead by example and demand that uber and lyft slash your pay to the rock bottom levels that such lowly unskilled work deserves.
Their really not paying for unskilled labor, well, maybe minutely, what they are really doing is compensating you for your car.
Post automatically merged:

"
In the Chronicle op-ed published last week, Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi and Lyft co-founders Logan Green and John Zimmer suggested that drivers would no longer have the flexibility to make their own schedules if they become employees."

Last edited:

Loralie

An hourly wage takes all the excitement of driving. Additionally, operating a big transportation company is no longer profitable these days, so adding to the overhead by paying by the hour will just hasten the company's demise.

Uber is losing money, this is now public information as Uber went public. I've driven for several large cab companies, they all went belly up ( and survived only as cooperatives ). Uber's only hope, if most of their eggs are in the rideshare basket, is to raise rates closer to what taxis are charging. Otherwise, Uber is doomed. If they are reading this, heed this advice (many years in the biz ).
Exactly. Also limits us even more and gives us less opportunity to make more as well. All the drivers that made this their full time jobs are the ones complaining about getting an hourly pay like an employee. The ones that understand we are independent contractors know we don’t have to accept every single ride that comes our way. We have the right to reject and many rides as we choose and we won’t be deactivated for not accepting rides. The only way to maximize profits with such a low rate and time is to only accept primetime rides and rides with bonuses and incentives, etc. Now that they took away primetime/surge and replaced it with a small bonus gives us mostly base rate rides. Drivers that don’t understand this are ruining it for the ones that prefer to work independently on both apps and pick the the more profitable rides instead of accepting any ping and going any distance on base rates. If the ones that want to work full time with base rates then why even do this job to begin with. Everyone knows it’s not profitable with base rates and its not a winning strategy. If they want an hourly pay and to be compensated as an employee then why don’t they just get another job to that, why even go into this business to begin with.

Oscar Levant

Exactly. Also limits us even more and gives us less opportunity to make more as well. All the drivers that made this their full time jobs are the ones complaining about getting an hourly pay like an employee. The ones that understand we are independent contractors know we don’t have to accept every single ride that comes our way. We have the right to reject and many rides as we choose and we won’t be deactivated for not accepting rides. The only way to maximize profits with such a low rate and time is to only accept primetime rides and rides with bonuses and incentives, etc. Now that they took away primetime/surge and replaced it with a small bonus gives us mostly base rate rides. Drivers that don’t understand this are ruining it for the ones that prefer to work independently on both apps and pick the the more profitable rides instead of accepting any ping and going any distance on base rates. If the ones that want to work full time with base rates then why even do this job to begin with. Everyone knows it’s not profitable with base rates and its not a winning strategy. If they want an hourly pay and to be compensated as an employee then why don’t they just get another job to that, why even go into this business to begin with.

Hourly wage will destroy the biz, there is no way this is going to happen. For one thing, they will be required to pay worker's compensation, and that, alone, would force uber to shut it's doors. I've got my beefs with Uber, but I don't want them to go under, either. I'm planning on getting a limo license so I can keep the service fee, which would increase my earnings by $150 - $200 per week, which would pay for the vehicle. That's a rough estiment, the license will help. ( If Uber is still doing this, I have to check on this ).

49matrix

I believe if we would get paid an hourly based rate from the time we accepted a request until the passenger is dropped off it could help the entire rideshare system. Raised wages with high demand should still be in effect.
Are you saying that you want to become an Uber employee? When you start talking about "wages" and "hourly rates" you cease to become an Independent Contractor and would be an employee. What I think you are trying to say that U/L should pay a flat rate based on pick up and drop off times. All well and good, but I don't think you'd like the flat rate U/L may have in mind!