• Heck Yeah! In a heartbeat.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Hell no! Are you serious?

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • Depends. What's in it for me?

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Lady Driver LBC

Any of you see this vid or receive this offer? Apparently Uber sent out a promotion offering to pay certain drivers more the week before Halloween, 33% more, for a fee of $115. Would you do it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: To anyone who gets this offer and actually opts in - PLEASE report back on your experience with it. Share information like:
  • What market you're in
  • How much money you ultimately made
  • How long it took you to break even
  • Etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2nd EDIT: Turns out this is some sort of experiment Uber is undertaking with researchers at MIT. Everyone who gets this offer and accepts it essentially becomes a lab rat. Check this out: https://thenextweb.com/tech/2017/10/19/uber-asks-drivers-pay-115-shot-extra-halloween-earnings

Last edited:

Lady Driver LBC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep! Pay them and they'll pay you more per mile/minute. Absolutely insane! Uber Man is actually endorsing this, says full-time dedicated drivers could earn extra. Uh, no thanks.

Hail Macbeth

Unless you manipulate the app in places where they can't manipulate the ping distribution. Might be worth it in certain situations.
I'm sure they won't be too obvious about it. They'll build in a bias, not a wall. But who knows? Maybe you get sick. Maybe someone says you didn't like their service dog-- or any other real or imagined problem-- and Uber needs to 'review your account.' Anything that happens-- anything--- and you're boned.

Also, you're paying uber after-tax, after-expenses income for an opportunity to earn gross income. I guess you could deduct the fee as a business expense, but still.

They control just about everything in this situation. And it's a zero-sum game. For you to win, they must lose. It's like playing poker when your opponent can see your cards. Sure, you'll win some of the time...

Jesusdrivesuber

I foresee:

Ping throttling.
Ride rigging. (Poolapalooza/short cake time).
Surge robbing.
Promos being replaced by this model if enough chumps sign for it.

Why in the hell do they need money PAID if people will make twice that number the next week they work? Why can't they simply add 10-15% more per mile and minute during that week which will amount to the same "promotion"? Answer: It's scam.

LA Dispatcher

I'm sure they won't be too obvious about it. They'll build in a bias, not a wall. But who knows? Maybe you get sick. Maybe someone says you didn't like their service dog-- or any other real or imagined problem-- and Uber needs to 'review your account.' Anything that happens-- anything--- and you're boned.

Also, you're paying uber after-tax, after-expenses income for an opportunity to earn gross income. I guess you could deduct the fee as a business expense, but still.

They control just about everything in this situation. And it's a zero-sum game. For you to win, they must lose. It's like playing poker when your opponent can see your cards. Sure, you'll win some of the time...
So many scenarios, I'll pay $115 for a 33% increase in airport fares. I have more control in that situation and can detect manipulation easier.

Lady Driver LBC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So many scenarios, I'll pay $115 for a 33% increase in airport fares. I have more control in that situation and can detect manipulation easier.
Okay. I've added a "Depends" option considering your response. So you think a dedicated full-time airport driver could actually benefit from this?

LA Dispatcher

Okay. I've added a "Depends" option considering your response. So you think a dedicated full-time airport driver could actually benefit from this?
Absolutely, $1,500 in airport fares is an extra $500-$115. I'll take my chances with airport tricks since it's a queue system. Might be an incentive to encourage more coverage to recover the $115. I wouldn't trust it until more info is gathered on regular pings.