1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Pay LESS TAXES, Keep MORE MONEY – An App to Track your Miles and Expenses for Tax Purposes

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MyRideTrac, Dec 19, 2016.

1. MyRideTrac

MyRideTrac Member Sponsor

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Pay LESS TAXES, Keep MORE MONEY! - MyRideTrac is an app that tracks your Miles & Expenses for tax purposes - Try it for Free!

WooHoo... we have released MyRideTrac for Android on the Google Play store. We now support iOS and Android! Thanks to everyone who helped by beta testing the Android app and for all of your feedback. PIT STOP is now part of the base app.

Hi, I'm Ken and I have been driving Uber for almost 2 years now (I am an old timer!). I rolled out MyRideTrac, a new app designed just for Ride Share drivers because I didn't think the apps out there tracked the miles the way we needed for Ride Share. With MyRideTrac, you can track your RIDER, NORIDER and PERSONAL miles along with ALL of your expenses. You get to write your empty (NORIDER) miles off your taxes just like your RIDER miles and I wanted to see how much I am driving empty (darn near 100% of my RIDER miles BTW). So it is a Mileage Tracking app, but it does more and provides more detail than the others out there.

MyRideTrac works with ALL rideshare apps because it rides on top of them. You use a handy widget that installs on the Pull-Down menu on iOS and in the Notifications menu on Android. You never have to leave your favorite rideshare app to change your status from RIDER to NORIDER and you can do it on the fly. That means no swiping right/left at the end of the day... and MyRideTrac is not tracking your for insurance! Your data is stored on your phone and backed up in your iCloud or Google Drive.

To see how MyRideTrac works click here (Android version in the video)

See more at: www.MyRideTrac.com

To download the iOS version on iTunes: click here

To download the Android version on Google Play: click here

Read on to see some of the features in MyRideTrac and see some pretty pictures of the app.
    • Tracks your RIDER/NORIDER/PERSONAL miles and ALL of your Expenses
    • Layered display of your trips on the MapIt Screen. See where you have been driving
    • Ability to change your status on the fly using the handy Widget (No swiping at the end of the day)
    • Captures your odometer reading with your expenses. Remembers when you got tires/oil.
    • Send yourself a report in email. Attaches a detailed, editable, spreadsheet to the summary report.
    • Includes Pit Stop! Pit Stop uses one button to find the nearest fast food restaurant near you. A life saver when your bladder is screaming at you!
    • Backs up your data to your iCloud or Google Drive.
    • World-wide metric and currency support. Even supports our friends in the UK (miles/litres).
    • A STOP button to turn off tracking/logging to save battery without having to kill the app.
    • You can define the tax rate for your region. Tracks up to two years of tax rates.
    • Tracks multiple vehicles / multiple drivers
    • New features are being suggested all the time via the feedback button
    • A great help website with handy videos - available right from buttons in the app
    MyRideTrac is being used in over 10 countries around the world. TRY IT FOR FREE. If you like it, it is only $1.99/month, which is a better value than those that charge and doesn't track you or try to sell you anything for those that don't charge.

Some pics:
    MenuWidget.png
    BillBoardAndroid.png
    SendReport.png
    PitStopWide.png
    iCloud_2_1334x525.png
    Expenses_1334x525.png

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    uzurper and SibeRescueBrian like this.
  2. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member

Does this track all miles when you are on app but not on a ride?

3. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes. The app is always running logging mileage in the background and you tell it if you are in RIDER / NORIDER or PERSONAL ride status.

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  4. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I received a question regarding backup. Yes, the app uses your iCloud or Google Drive to backup data. iCloud gives you 5Gb of data backup for free and Google Drive gives you 10Gb of data storage for free. A years worth of driving (about 19,000 miles) uses about 106Mb of data on iCloud. Hardly a dent in the storage. Thanks for asking!

5. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Regarding the Pit Stop Feature. Yes, you can configure Pit Stop to search for anything you wish. We use "Fast Food" as a default because Google doesn't search for "Rest Room". If you know a better search term for restrooms in your region, please let us all know and we will change the default! Thanks for supporting MyRideTrac.

6. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    We are interested in your feedback on pricing for MyRideTrac. The current monthly subscription is $1.99/month which we have been told is a good value, but would welcome any and all opinions regarding pricing (other than free because we don't have advertising and are not tracking you - we are not selling your track data, etc). Thanks in advance for your feedback!

7. JE1

JE1 New Member

I just downloaded it, will try it out.

8. pcDragon

pcDragon New Member

Tried it out last night... Seems simple enough to use, but not sure app is ready for prime time. After a few status changes it started to show app manager force stop page, then eventually crashed. For me it would be much more useful if it could somehow read uber or lyft app status and record automatically into app. Then I only have to activate for the day, and turn off when done. Also would be nice if upon initial startup I could enter mileage, same for days end.

9. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Thanks pcDragon. What type of phone are you using? Sorry to hear that you had issues, would like to hear type of phone you are using to test.

Regarding the interface to Lyft and Uber... great suggestion! I actually start a trip (RIDER mode) when I accept a ride as opposed to start a ride. I consider the mileage I drive to pick up a rider part of the trip. The manual interface gives me the control. Do you mean by "enter mileage" enter an odometer reading?

Thanks for the feedback.

10. disp350

disp350 Active Member

Not to downplay the nice app you wrote, and it really is nice, but according to the IRS, mileage from the time you start your shift until you get home is deductible. I just reset my trip odometer at the beginning of each shift and however many miles I drove when I get home, I just record that.

Grahamcracker and uzurper like this.
  11. JE1

JE1 New Member

I had the same issue last night with the app manager page showing up. I use a Samsung Galaxy.

12. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Thanks JE1. Galaxy s5, s6? That, of course, should not be happening. I am interested if it happens after you restart your phone. We will do some extra testing on Galaxy phones.

13. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Agree with you completely. Reason we developed the app is to track empty mileage (NORIDER) along with RIDER mileage. It gives insight into how much your costs truly are because although you get to write off all of your mileage, we are only getting paid for RIDER mileage. MyRideTrac gives you the insights and keeps your log for you. All I had to do today was send myself a report from 1/1/16 - 12/31/16 and I had my log with all of my trips (RIDER/NORIDER/PERSONAL) as well as all of my expenses all in one spreadsheet. It took 30 seconds!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  14. pcDragon

pcDragon New Member

I'm using a LG G5 phone running Android 6.0.1. Some thoughts on ideal app...
    Login at start if shift/day with mileage
    App shifts between rider/no rider automatically when I accept rides and drop off pax. (I want to know empty vs pax driving)
    When I go off line for breaks or end of day, prompt for mileage and/or taking a break.
    Gas entry, no changes I can think of.

Thanks for the app!

15. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Thanks. Will look into LG G5. Let me know if restarting the phone worked for you. That will be a help. Noted suggestions:
    1. Login with mileage - start/end of day
    2. Automatic shifting between rider/norider
    3. Mileage for breaks, etc

Will look at feasibility of these items. Here are some short term answers if that will help:
    1. If you hit STOP at the end of each day and then go into RIDER mode at the beginning of each day, the app records your mileage. It is not beginning/ending odometer, but GPS mileage. In other words, each time you change your status (RIDER/NORIDER/PERSONAL/STOP), the app is creating an event with total mileage for that event and elapsed time for that event. It is a different approach, but accomplishes the same thing in a different way. I also created a .01c transaction in the EXPENSES feature (MISC Other Expense at $.01) to record my 1/1/17 odometer reading. This will publish in the spreadsheet.

2. Have to look into the UBER interfaces to see if we can do this. They have made some changes, but restrict who can access them.

3. See number 1 (can use PERSONAL to record offline/personal stuff).

Thanks for your suggestions. Your feedback is appreciated.

16. uzurper

uzurper New Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Very interesting! Will definitely check this out and get back to you!

17. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Cool. Look forward to your feedback.

18. uzurper

uzurper New Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Looks like I am unable to launch the app? I believe I was just looking at the intro video on YouTube... when I go back to the app, it just crashed. I sent the feedback thru the app as well. Hope the crash logs help!

19. MyRideTrac

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Will look at your feedback and look for the crash in the logs. Please restart your phone and let us know if the app works for you. Also, can you please let us know what phone you are using. Google Play says the app works on 10, 385 different devices. Can't think that you have device #10, 386!!!!!

20. JE1

JE1 New Member

I used it again last night, had to force stop it once (S5). It worked the rest of the night (well, the free part, then didn't use it for the rest of the night). I agree it wold be nice to have the ability for adding start/stop mileage. It takes some getting used to remember to switch from non rider to rider, and back. Also, is there an easy way to shut it down if I'm not Ubering for a couple of days? Would rather not have it running in the background all the time. I am also trying out MileIQ.