• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

PAXhole: "I think we should go the usual way..."

LyftNewbie10

I picked a young lady up to make a pretty big trip ($55+ fare).

It started off nicely with some small talk. Then I mistakenly brought up the route we were taking.

Me: "It looks like there's construction ahead an we need to take a detour".
Her: "I have WAZE too, and it's not showing me that on my phone. I think we should go the usual way."
Me: (thinking) My version maybe more up to date. "But the WAZE router is telling us to detour, they may have closed the exit/on-ramp from route 167 to route 405 (!).
Her: "Let's go the usual way."

I'm getting very annoyed. They have closed the 2 right lanes ahead and we're coming close to the exit/on-ramp.

Me: "Look---can you see that? The exit/on-ramp from route 167 to route 405 is C L O S E D. We have NO choice but to take the detour (!)"
Her: "So what way should we go?
Me: (exasperated) "The detour route, like I have been telling you."
Me: "From now on. I'll be in charge of the driving and what routes we take!"
Her: "That sounds like a good idea."

Somewhere, I said things like, "you obviously don't trust me" and "I can take you back home, if you like."

It was dead silent for the reminder of the trip.

mature423

Devils Advocate:

I've seen way too many sleezy cab drivers trying to take the long route so why would she trust a random uber driver? Some people need to see it for themselves and who got the bad end of the deal in this situation? She literally helps you take the long route and you're still getting paid to keep driving her anyways rather than you sitting around waiting for another ride so in the end you get more money from her anyways. No need to always try to be right or demean them for demanding a bad route -- that might just cost you a tip or a better rating. Customer is "always right" even if it cost them to be wrong. More money for you.

BikingBob

If she had Waze open herself she clearly has been long hauled before. I realize it doesn't impact her with upfront pricing; but she doesn't know that. If nothing else you'll get paid for the extra time of dealing with her shenanigans.

EmOinDallas

When pax start with second-guessing the route I'm taking...I let them know I use Waze and also check Google, but tell them if they have a better/preferred way, to let me know and I'm happy to do it (big, fat lie). That usually shuts them up, especially after they refer to their apps. I also throw out they are paying an upfront fee, and it doesn't profit me to take them a long way (even though it does with the new rates).

I Agree with Bob...think pax still have it in their heads we are long-hauling them to drive up the cost...that's why I will remind them what they pay remains the same no matter how long it takes.

I had two know it all older guys tell me how to take them to the Thursday night Cowboys-Giants game. It was a 7:00 game and I knew it would be a HUGE cluster since people would leave for it around 5:00 - 5:30 rush hour on top of game traffic. I have season tickets (sold that game) and am very familiar with the traffic around the stadium. It sucks on a good day.

This was a 14 mile drive that was supposed to take 35 minutes. I told them right off the bat I thought it would take longer than that. They were convinced Waze, Google and Apple Maps were wrong and kept telling me the route to take. I thought we'd never get there! Their way took 1 hr 20 min! Thing is, if I went the way Waze said, it would have been longer than the 35 minutes but quicker than their route, but they would have been convinced their way would have been faster.

It was a nice pay day for me and Uber lost $15 on the trip. I was SO glad I didn't drink a Route 44 Iced Tea beforehand! LOL!

The Gift of Fish

I picked a young lady up to make a pretty big trip ($55+ fare).

It started off nicely with some small talk. Then I mistakenly brought up the route we were taking.

Me: "It looks like there's construction ahead an we need to take a detour".
Her: "I have WAZE too, and it's not showing me that on my phone. I think we should go the usual way."
Me: (thinking) My version maybe more up to date. "But the WAZE router is telling us to detour, they may have closed the exit/on-ramp from route 167 to route 405 (!).
Her: "Let's go the usual way."

I'm getting very annoyed. They have closed the 2 right lanes ahead and we're coming close to the exit/on-ramp.

Me: "Look---can you see that? The exit/on-ramp from route 167 to route 405 is C L O S E D. We have NO choice but to take the detour (!)"
Her: "So what way should we go?
Me: (exasperated) "The detour route, like I have been telling you."
Me: "From now on. I'll be in charge of the driving and what routes we take!"
Her: "That sounds like a good idea."

Somewhere, I said things like, "you obviously don't trust me" and "I can take you back home, if you like."

It was dead silent for the reminder of the trip.
Solution:

-"Since Uber/Lyft changed over to up-front, fixed, prices for each ride, it's the driver who now decides the route. You're paying a fixed price for your ride, and it's my job now to get you there as fast as possible."

In case of pushback:

-"No, I can confirm that under this new system, the driver does indeed select the route. It's the same in all transportation scenarios where the passenger pays a fixed price for the trip, instead of per mile: the bus passenger pays a fixed fare and does not decide the route the bus takes. The airline passenger pays a fixed price for his/her ticket and it is the pilot, not the passenger, who decides the route that the plane takes. If this were a taxi, in which you would indeed be paying by the mile then yes, you would decide the route. However, Uber/Lyft is now a completely different system".

In case of more pushback:

-"You are more than welcome to cancel your ride and select a different driver who may better suit your needs"

Mista T

Author
Maybe if you showed her your phone instead of being defensive, it might have gone better.

As stated above, some pax have been longhauled and when a driver says "lets go a different way" that raises red flags. If you were a pax, wouldnt you be suspicious? I would.

LyftNewbie10

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe if you showed her your phone instead of being defensive, it might have gone better.

As stated above, some pax have been longhauled and when a driver says "lets go a different way" that raises red flags. If you were a pax, wouldnt you be suspicious? I would.
I did show her my phone. Maybe she thought I was a magician too? Maybe she had a rabbit in her ___?

nickd8775

I love that explanation. You don't pay extra for a flight if the plane has to fly an extra 300 miles to get into the jet stream to fly faster. That's like going an extra 3 miles to get on a highway to drive faster.

I never ask my passengers about the route just like the pilot doesn't ask the passengers about the route. "Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking. We are flying from LA to New York City, its about 2500 miles and will take 5 hours. I'm asking for your permission to fly an extra 300 miles so we could get a 100 mph tailwind in the jet stream and get you to New York 30 minutes sooner. If you are worried that your flight will cost more because of the extra distance, rest assured that the airline has charged you a flat rate and my route doesn't affect your fare and is faster than the direct straight line route."

Solution:

-"Since Uber/Lyft changed over to up-front, fixed, prices for each ride, it's the driver who now decides the route. You're paying a fixed price for your ride, and it's my job now to get you there as fast as possible."

In case of pushback:

-"No, I can confirm that under this new system, the driver does indeed select the route. It's the same in all transportation scenarios where the passenger pays a fixed price for the trip, instead of per mile: the bus passenger pays a fixed fare and does not decide the route the bus takes. The airline passenger pays a fixed price for his/her ticket and it is the pilot, not the passenger, who decides the route that the plane takes. If this were a taxi, in which you would indeed be paying by the mile then yes, you would decide the route. However, Uber/Lyft is now a completely different system".

In case of more pushback:

-"You are more than welcome to cancel your ride and select a different driver who may better suit your needs"

#professoruber

I think the OP handled this well when it came to helping the rider understand that his route was better but I think the failure for most drivers is how they manage there rides from start to finish. As others have posted, they do not discuss routes with the rider and in my opinion may cause friction during the ride.

For me, I have found success in being able to communicate and manage my rides from the point the rider approaches my car.

1. Doors locked and windows cracked. Confirmed rider unlocks my door
2. Greetings with where are we heading and do you have a preferred route?
3. With that information I start the trip. I take a mental note of the Uber or Lyft route and then start Waze. First thing I click is routes in Waze so I can see time and miles for each route.
4. With all the information, I begin dialogue if I think there is a quicker route or a route where I am able to long route without affecting time.
5. Once the passenger and I agree on the route, my car goes into drive.

The caveat is if the rider is hellbent on a specific route, which usually is determined in steps 2 or 4. At that point, I will take there preferred route.

Another scenario is if a route is changed during the ride, which I will communicate. Or if I make a game time decision which is usually as traffic is building up during rush hour which GPS is usually not accurate. I will also stay on a more direct route knowing exiting a highway or taking side streets is only going to save a couple of minutes.

Bottom line, there is a small percentage of riders that want to take a specific route, which are usually older or local riders. The older riders are simply old school and likely have no clue how accurate GPS navigation is these days. I will usually let them know that the GPS is giving me the same directions and shut up and enjoy the ride. I would say 90% of my rides start with the rider not caring about a route and all they care about is getting there at a specific time.

I remember the days where riders were charged per mile/minute and tolls were being added onto the fare. Rider would take the route with the least amount of miles and avoid tolls and the driver would get shafted.

MissAnne

Wow, I was thinking about moving back to Washington and driving Uber and Lyft full time up there because you guys get paid double what I do in Salt Lake. But if the PAXholes are going to be like this, screw that I’ll stay where I’m at at least people here are nice

3. With that information I start the trip. I take a mental note of the Uber or Lyft route and then start Waze. First thing I click is routes in Waze so I can see time and miles for each route.
4. With all the information, I begin dialogue if I think there is a quicker route or a route where I am able to long route without affecting time.
5. Once the passenger and I agree on the route, my car goes into drive.
I never even bring up the route. I have lots of visitors, and both visitors and locals appreciate the confidence I show in just driving and doing what I need to do.

If it's something extremely out of the way because of an accident I'll tell them (not ask) and nobody has objected.

Really only about one of every 50 rides every brings up the route to me. If you are confident and show you know what you're doing they'll pipe down.

xgamrgeekx

Tonight I had the drunk passing out in the backseat giving me directions :rolleyes:
His buddy up front and I just laughed at him.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I use Uber navigation like a good little ant. At the first sign of resistance or annoyance from the passenger, I comply with whatever their route is. One time it resulted in getting stopped by a train while trying to outrun it. another time it resulted in getting stopped at a red light. I don't have to say a word... The situation is the teacher.

It's probably because I'm a high ratings junkie.

RDWRER

I had a similar experience like that except I was passing multiple construction signs including a big lighted billboard that said the 110 South was closed. I told the passenger that we had to detour and his response was that “Waze didn’t say there was a detour” even as we were passing the second bunch of signs indicating it was closed ahead. When we got there we were being forced onto the 110 North but there was an available exit to Grand so I took it and he still was complaining that we should’ve taken the 110 South... I shut him up by telling I could throw it in reverse and we could get trapped on the 110 North since it appeared to be getting congested from the detour but he declined. :rolleyes:

I promptly gave him a 1 star at the end of the ride. :p

Christinebitg

including a big lighted billboard that said the 110 South was closed.
I had a situation some months ago where the nav app directed me to go over a bridge that had recently been demolished. It was clearly in pieces on the ground, and people were working on cleaning up the debris.

I have a Waze question for you. A block near our house has been closed to traffic for months, with months yet to go on the construction project. Waze doesn't seem to like being told it's closed. They reopen it in the app after a couple of days.

Any idea how to get them to say closed, and leave it there? It's more curiosity than anything, since it's just one block in a residential neighborhood.

Thanks.