Paxes like these make me want to quit

Canteev

I pick up a pax--along with three friends--from Asbury Park to Middletown. I do my usual thing and follow the GPS. From my experience of everyday driving, my tendency is to keep left when I have to drive straight on the same road with just one lane. Usually right lanes are for new roads. I am on a road and instead of moving to a new lane--basically an exit--I continue straight. I should have taken the right as it was the street I was supposed to continue on--actually I remember almost making that mistake back in October, but my pax knew it was a confusing road and told me where to go.

Anyways, anyone can make a mistake. I only knew I took the wrong turn when my GPS rerouted me. The pax totally freaked out. He straight up said I was trying to take him on a run-around, and that I wasn't following my GPS. He also used a couple of curse words--one of his people also said I wasn't using the GPS. He also "threatened" me by saying that my rating was a 4.6--4.67 actually and will be well over 4.7 in two weeks--and might not be driving for Uber anymore.

This is the second pax in the last two days that make me want to give this "gig" up. Do these people realize that we're not their slaves? From the moment these people got into the car, it was certain they were some condescending people. Little comments about to turn the music down because she was going to FaceTime or the guy basically telling me I had the AC on when I didn't should have told me that they were scums. I understand most of you have nightmare passengers on a daily basis, but I mostly drive on weekends, so any bad experience gets on my nerves.

emdeplam

its up to you and your standards. dont pick up pax below 4.8 rating. when a holes cant get a rdie maybe they learn

tohunt4me

I pick up a pax--along with three friends--from Asbury Park to Middletown. I do my usual thing and follow the GPS. From my experience of everyday driving, my tendency is to keep left when I have to drive straight on the same road with just one lane. Usually right lanes are for new roads. I am on a road and instead of moving to a new lane--basically an exit--I continue straight. I should have taken the right as it was the street I was supposed to continue on--actually I remember almost making that mistake back in October, but my pax knew it was a confusing road and told me where to go.

Anyways, anyone can make a mistake. I only knew I took the wrong turn when my GPS rerouted me. The pax totally freaked out. He straight up said I was trying to take him on a run-around, and that I wasn't following my GPS. He also used a couple of curse words--one of his people also said I wasn't using the GPS. He also "threatened" me by saying that my rating was a 4.6--4.67 actually and will be well over 4.7 in two weeks--and might not be driving for Uber anymore.

This is the second pax in the last two days that make me want to give this "gig" up. Do these people realize that we're not their slaves? From the moment these people got into the car, it was certain they were some condescending people. Little comments about to turn the music down because she was going to FaceTime or the guy basically telling me I had the AC on when I didn't should have told me that they were scums. I understand most of you have nightmare passengers on a daily basis, but I mostly drive on weekends, so any bad experience gets on my nerves.
Sounds like they started nit picking immediately.
Nothing like being micro managed on a $3.00 ride then having your job threatened by condescending nit wits is there ? NO NEED TO TIP !
Uber encourages this behavior.
Giving away rides so cheaply makes them valueless.

If someone power trips you over a tiny Uber ride,their status in life is miniscule. Anyone who micro managed an Uber ride is just pitiful.
Control people are always the people most out of control..... Free falling helplessly makes them attempt to control others around them. Just remember ,their LIVES are out of control,this fear drives them.

njctuberx

Yuck, sounds like you're driving entitled drunk times. This is why I work like 85 to 90% in the daytime, and never after 11:45pm anymore.
Just remember, these jerks are poorly raised scum who think so poorly of themselves, they have to try to bring others down to their level.
You know your rating is fine... He wants you to curse him out or make a scene. What I would do is politely say that I misread the GPS and if he wants a new driver, I can end the trip, pull over and they can request a new driver. Obviously they won't want to do that so hopefully they'll shut up. If they keep harassing me, I would pull over, call the cops, and let them know that the police have been called to mediate.
Then, 1 star, report behavior and move on. They'll one star me, but so be it.

Cane

I would've kicked them out. I have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior. At these rates, i don't turn on the AC anymore unless it's a surge or a worthy far trip. Also, i don't put music on. I don't talk unless spoken to and sometimes I keep short answers to let passengers know I don't want to talk. I don't know how but I have a 4.89 rating.

But I agree with you. I had some little kids last night trying to fit 5 in my Accord. I told them no and one of them got mad and slammed my door. I told the rest to get out and cancelled the ride. I wanted to smack the little kid up but kept my composure and just cancelled the ride.

Canteev

its up to you and your standards. dont pick up pax below 4.8 rating. when a holes cant get a rdie maybe they learn

His rating was good: somewhere between 4.75 and 4.84. I know because Uber rounds. I just don't understand why someone would get so condescending because of a wrong turn. The guy--and I think his wife--told me that I wasn't following the GPS when it was visible to them right near the steering wheel in my phone mount. I usually turn off the volume because I find it annoying. This really shouldn't be bothering me that much, but it is. The reason is that I would never talk to someone like that.

tohunt4me

I would've kicked them out. I have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior. At these rates, i don't turn on the AC anymore unless it's a surge or a worthy far trip. Also, i don't put music on. I don't talk unless spoken to and sometimes I keep short answers to let passengers know I don't want to talk. I don't know how but I have a 4.89 rating.

But I agree with you. I had some little kids last night trying to fit 5 in my Accord. I told them no and one of them got mad and slammed my door. I told the rest to get out and cancelled the ride. I wanted to smack the little kid up but kept my composure and just cancelled the ride.
Drunk college students are plying their newly taught socery of psychology 101 on the world.
They ARE practicing to be Future Masters of the Universe.
In middle management at Target.
YOU are part of the teaching process when students are involved.

You must teach them their new toy can bite back.

CavieKia

Give them a 1 rating and email Uber and tell them that they verbally abused you. I did that tonight, had a drunk
Gal maybe early thirties. We were having a nice conversation until it turned to politics. We were on
Different ends of the spectrum. Me RIGHT Her left.
I finally said to her in a nice way that we should end the conversation before it escalates. So we spent the
Next 10 minutes in silence. When I dropped her off I said goodnight and she said that I was ignorant
And needed to be educated. I did not answer her. Gave her a 1 star and emailed Uber to let them know
She verbally abused me. Enough is enough.

Mikey_D

I would've kicked them out. I have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior.

I agree wholeheartedly. I picked up a lady a few months ago in Newark who started complaining as soon as she got in my car. I drive a nice late model Hyundai Sonata ... She got in my car and said "I thought you needed to have a nicer car to drive for Uber.

I replied "You don't like my car ?" And her answer was ..... "Just drive." With a backhanded wave of her hand.

My next response ? "Rides over ... get out of my car." I think she was shocked. But she got out.

Lightning1181

Give them a 1 rating and email Uber and tell them that they verbally abused you. I did that tonight, had a drunk
Gal maybe early thirties. We were having a nice conversation until it turned to politics. We were on
Different ends of the spectrum. Me RIGHT Her left.
I finally said to her in a nice way that we should end the conversation before it escalates. So we spent the
Next 10 minutes in silence. When I dropped her off I said goodnight and she said that I was ignorant
And needed to be educated. I did not answer her. Gave her a 1 star and emailed Uber to let them know
She verbally abused me. Enough is enough.
Never ever discuss religion or politics with anyone, including your significant other. It can only lead to bad things. Take that as a life lesson and not only for your Goober career.

Last edited:

newell138

I agree wholeheartedly. I picked up a lady a few months ago in Newark who started complaining as soon as she got in my car. I drive a nice late model Hyundai Sonata ... She got in my car and said "I thought you needed to have a nicer car to drive for Uber.

I replied "You don't like my car ?" And her answer was ..... "Just drive." With a backhanded wave of her hand.

My next response ? "Rides over ... get out of my car." I think she was shocked. But she got out.

Your first mistake was picking up a "lady from Newark ".

pvtandrewmalone

When I was a newbie (2nd week), I had a passenger exactly like what OP described. Two cute girls, but terrible attitude. They even had attitude on the phone before ride started. Every word out of their mouth during ride was a criticism, on a low-profit Jersey City to Brooklyn ride. Had I known then what I know now, I would not be working in that area, wouldn't have taken that trip, and would have cancelled-no-showed them as they were over 5 minutes and had attitude on phone. Four mistakes on my part. Everybody has to learn. That 1* rating hurt a lot at the time.

I once kicked out a pax who cancelled on a 2.8X surge and then tried to re-request at base rate. Was expecting a 1*, but didn't seem like they rated.

I "had" enough rides that the occasional nitwits like the ones described above and by the OP couldn't really do anything to me. Even a 1* would only drop me .01. I considered it a benefit that comes with doing the job for a while.

Uber being Uber, can't leave well enough alone. When something is too good for their "partners", they change it and make it worse.

1. Starting 3/29/2017, I'm on the 100 rating plan. Now a 1* will drop me .05.

2. Very few riders rate anymore. It used to be about 75% of my trips were rated. Now it's about 10%. So far fewer 5* to cushion the bad ratings.

Last edited:

UberSchmuber

Me RIGHT Her left. I finally said to her in a nice way that we should end the conversation before it escalates. So we spent the next 10 minutes in silence. When I dropped her off I said goodnight and she said that I was ignorant and needed to be educated.
Politics, religion & sports, the Unholy Trilogy of B.S. with passengers, especially Politics, especially now, especially if you are on the right and GOD FORBID who voted for HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm on the right and I breathe a sigh of relief if the passengers are also. In fact they do too! Not all but enough of the left will say EXACTLY what your passenger said or worse (read Saul Allinsky's Rules for Radicals if you want to know the depths they'll sink to). My rule of thumb is if politics comes up is just be general and let them tip their hand. If it's left, give them the tacit agreement they deeply crave to shut them up or say politics is not really my thing and play to the stereo type the left already had for us; poor ignorant drivers that need their "brilliance" to educate and lead us, and bestow their magnanimous, non-tipping patronage.

Canteev

Even worse, Uber adjusted my fare to $17.91 on a trip that was originally 28 minutes and at least 15 miles long. To show how pathetic Uber is, I did a ride later that night that was much shorter and got paid $22. How does CSR then justify the b.s. of having reviewed the fare and shortchanging me by at least $7.

UberwhoIaM

Got a 3.4x
Screenshot_20170319-120606.jpg

ping to address very close. Heading to the pickup and where they dropped the pin is showing a corporate building that's closed on the weekends. I call to ask for the correct location and I heard a huge party in the background. She gives me directions and then we hangup. 30 seconds later she canceled as I'm turning on her street. No fee since it wasn't even five minutes from what goober rep said. Wow was I pissed. Looked in the trips area to see where the trip was going and it was only a 2 mile trip anyway. Missed out on a quick $12+ trip. I stuck around for a little bit waiting to see if they would reorder at a lower surge so I could just try and collect a cancellation fee by acting sneaky but they never reordered while I was in the area at least. The worst part was I was in a surge cloud over 3.5x but it had shifted and gone below 2x. They think it's real funny doing this to save money or whatever reason they decide to cancel but the bottom line is they are directly taking money out of our pockets. Especially since surge clouds take a long time to get that high if at all... had it been more than a minimum ride I would have been really upset.