PAX with Wheelchairs

Clue2U

I drive X and accepted a pool ping. 1st ping was a lady with a few target like bags. Instead of using the trunk she used the backseat and sat there as well. On our way, I accepted another ping and it was a guy coming from rehab in a wheelchair. He couldn't walk and was solo. The lady in the car offered to get I. The front and put her bags in the back but the guy in the wheel chair wanted me to help him in the car and put his wheelchair in my trunk.......when I told him no, he was upset. I told him someone should have assisted him to the car as I don't leave the driver seat. He ended up canceling and we went on our merry way. So just curious, do u guys have Riders who are in wheelchairs and need assistance? Do u help them out? I felt bad but at the same time doesn't uber offer an access service.....

Just Another Uber Drive

I drive X and accepted a pool ping. 1st ping was a lady with a few target like bags. Instead of using the trunk she used the backseat and sat there as well. On our way, I accepted another ping and it was a guy coming from rehab in a wheelchair. He couldn't walk and was solo. The lady in the car offered to get I. The front and put her bags in the back but the guy in the wheel chair wanted me to help him in the car and put his wheelchair in my trunk.......when I told him no, he was upset. I told him someone should have assisted him to the car as I don't leave the driver seat. He ended up canceling and we went on our merry way. So just curious, do u guys have Riders who are in wheelchairs and need assistance? Do u help them out? I felt bad but at the same time doesn't uber offer an access service.....
Uber has both UberAssist and UberWAV. Assist is a normal vehicle but the driver has had some training. You watch a video and take a test to be approved for Assist. WAV is a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

WMUber

Here is something that second2noone and I would agree on...

What I hate is when a rider calls for a ride for their mother. Of course, I am picking up mom and taking her to the requester's (son or daughter) place. So I have no way of contacting mom that I am here. But to save money, they request Pool. (It really fumes me when mom or grandma need help.)

I get it, L.A. traffic is bad, and you will spend more quality time with your mom/grandma if she takes an Uber. But for Pete's sake, it's your mother; order a Select. Don't order a Pool. (I actually let a son have it for ordering Pool for his mother.)

That said, I treat mom/grandmas very well, even if their kids order Pool.

second2noone

Uber has both UberAssist and UberWAV. Assist is a normal vehicle but the driver has had some training. You watch a video and take a test to be approved for Assist. WAV is a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
I agree with Just another. You need to have the right vehicle and training. Just think what would happen if you try to help this person and they fall or something. Could be a liability issue.

second2noone

Here is something that second2noone and I would agree on...

What I hate is when a rider calls for a ride for their mother. Of course, I am picking up mom and taking her to the requester's (son or daughter) place. So I have no way of contacting mom that I am here. But to save money, they request Pool. (It really fumes me when mom or grandma need help.)

I get it, L.A. traffic is bad, and you will spend more quality time with your mom/grandma if she takes an Uber. But for Pete's sake, it's your mother; order a Select. Don't order a Pool. (I actually let a son have it for ordering Pool for his mother.)

That said, I treat mom/grandmas very well, even if their kids order Pool.
lol finally something we agree on WMUber . lol. This is the kind of stuff that is annoying when pax try to save a few cents and do this kind of this. Yeah treat mothers and grandmothers nicely not their fault other than raising a fool.

OC Lady Uber Driver

Yeah, that wheelchair ride should have been requested on UberAssist and not Pool. Someone screwed up and cheaped out.

I thought about getting involved with UberAssist because when I check availability on the app, it's never available. I watched the videos, but I'm a petite woman and I'm not confident I could muscle someone's scooter or wheelchair into the back of my vehicle. so I stopped short of getting that endorsement.

Besides, LA has Access Paratransit ... http://accessla.org/home/
OC has Access ... http://www.octa.net/bus/Access-Service/access-service-overview/

Papa Sarducci

HC pax are strictly hands-off, if they need assistance getting in or out then they need to call UberAssist or if not available a cab equipped for HC pax or paratransit.

Papa Sarducci

Yeah, that wheelchair ride should have been requested on UberAssist and not Pool. Someone screwed up and cheaped out.

I thought about getting involved with UberAssist because when I check availability on the app, it's never available. I watched the videos, but I'm a petite woman and I'm not confident I could muscle someone's scooter or wheelchair into the back of my vehicle. so I stopped short of getting that endorsement.

Besides, LA has Access Paratransit ... http://accessla.org/home/
OC has Access ... http://www.octa.net/bus/Access-Service/access-service-overview/
Plus you get nothing extra in pay from Uber for the added effort, why bother? I still say Uber needs to have people with special needs register that in the rider app. That way we don't waste either the driver's time or the pax. Even people with small kids should have to enter that into the system if they don't have seats for them. Uber needs to do a way better job at matching pax with the equipment they require, not just throw it on the drivers to decide once they get there.

Adieu

Ok, the Pool thing is dubious....but if we seriously get major stink around here about some mangy emo-supportive mutts, doncja think blowing off wheelchair dude === soo, so much worse???

I've done a wheelchair pax. 93yo, 3am, Hilton to Skid Row truck depot or cargo docks or smthn ....seems he was the boss.

And this gramps was a boss alright.

Respect.

Papa Sarducci

Really. No offense Papa Sarducci but just judging by some of your posts you might be a pretty cold hearted guy.
Nah, I just believe people should know their place, if there are people trained to do something then they are the ones who should be doing it. You start helping HC people into your UberX next thing you know they all start expecting it. There are services in place that our tax money pays for to assist them, they should be using those services.

Just Another Uber Drive

I wouldn't turn anybody down unless I were physically incapable of helping them in or out of the vehicle.

The only thing you do with Assist is help them with breakng down and storing the wheelchair, scooter, etc., and offer an elbow to get them to the car. And of course never use the HC word. It is not lifting people in to the car or anything like that.

If it paid more, as it should, then we'd see more cars with that added on. Getting all sweaty breaking down a wheelchair when it's 103 degrees outside deserves a higher fare.

It's a different job than X pure and simple. A separate class of vehicle and driver would be better. It shouldnt be an add-on to X for watching a video. In my opinion.

Papa Sarducci

I wouldn't turn anybody down unless I were physically incapable of helping them in or out of the vehicle.

The only thing you do with Assist is help them with breakng down and storing the wheelchair, scooter, etc., and offer an elbow to get them to the car. And of course never use the HC word. It is not lifting people in to the car or anything like that.

If it paid more, as it should, then we'd see more cars with that added on. Getting all sweaty breaking down a wheelchair when it's 103 degrees outside deserves a higher fare.

It's a different job than X pure and simple. A separate class of vehicle and driver would be better. It shouldnt be an add-on to X for watching a video. In my opinion.
I believe the ADA regulations that apply to taxis states that they have to be able to enter and exit the vehicle WITHOUT assistance, your role is to stow the wheelchair in the trunk, that is it.

Just Another Uber Drive

I believe the ADA regulations that apply to taxis states that they have to be able to enter and exit the vehicle WITHOUT assistance, your role is to stow the wheelchair in the trunk, that is it.
That's what I got from the training video as well. The offer of an elbow is how we're supposed to guide the blind to the car... as opposed to grabbing them. And don't call them HC and don't store the dog in the trunk.

Tedgey

Nah, I just believe people should know their place, if there are people trained to do something then they are the ones who should be doing it. You start helping HC people into your UberX next thing you know they all start expecting it. There are services in place that our tax money pays for to assist them, they should be using those services.
Right. And this too is an excellent example. You're talking about a bare minimum level of service. What the minimum the law requires. It's no wonder these laws had to be written. Before then it must've been a nightmare.

tohunt4me

Supervise their entry and seating.
Fold chair and put in trunk.
Simple.

AxeOfGlory

I had a guy order XL on me one night and I pull up and a guy is flagging me when a mountain bike at his side. He came up and asked if I had room for a bike. I'm in a minivan but do not want a dirty ass bike in my vehicle, plus chain grease and potential damage to the leather so I told him no. Guy was stone cold sober at 10pm.

@@@@in millennia's man. They literally have the tools in from of them and still don't know what to do.

We don't have Assist or WAV in our demo so I can't speculate, but for a person in a wheelchair I would assist them the best I could. I can fold my seats down. Both my grandmother and uncle are in wheelchairs due to MS, they generally need as much help as they can get.