Pax with two carts full of groceries demands that I park illegally right in front of her

touberornottouber

Walmart. I knew I should not have taken it but I needed one more to hit my quota for the day and it was very slow (two hours without a ping). I pull up and park illegally but in the loading zone away from the line of traffic and put my flashers on. I sit about 30 seconds and make eye contact with a lady who has a cart absolutely loaded with groceries. Now this was Lyft so O knew where it was going when I hit "arrive" and it probably would have been an $8-$10 run so not the usual $3.50 grocery run. I was still prepared to do this ride at this point.

Also note that I was maybe 50 feet away from her at this point. She had a cart and appeared to be mid-20's and able bodied. It was sprinkling with rain a little bit though.

So I waved at her and then to my shock and dismay:

1. I see she has another person with her who also has a cart of groceries. (I'm in a Corolla)
2. She is angry and motioning for me to come park immediately right in front of her where there are already other cars parked and right in the line of traffic. There is also a police car parked about 20 feet away from me though no one was in it at that moment.

I noticed she seemed angry and I could not quite hear it but I got the impression that the other woman with her was cussing about me.

I just threw up my arms and then had a moment of sanity and canceled the ride and drove away quickly without even making further eye contact. I guess after 2.75 years of rideshare I am learning a few things (but I never should have taken that known grocery run in the first place -- even in desperation!). Of course if I took that ride I would probably have an angry passenger who would 1* me, do multiple false reports, and of course no tip -- even if I spent 10 minutes parked illegally blocking the Walmart traffic and helped her load and unload all her crap. No thanks!

mimidae

I just threw up my arms and then had a moment of sanity and canceled the ride and drove away quickly without even making further eye contact. I guess after 2.75 years of rideshare I am learning a few things (but I never should have taken that known grocery run in the first place -- even in desperation!). Of course if I took that ride I would probably have an angry passenger who would 1* me, do multiple false reports, and of course no tip -- even if I spent 10 minutes parked illegally blocking the Walmart traffic and helped her load and unload all her crap. No thanks!

Smart move. That's exactly the crap she would have pulled, too. After 3 years of driving for Uber, I've learned the same things. No matter how desperate, there are just some rides I have to cancel to avoid being abused, harassed, lied about, and having my car messed up.

Zaarc

I would have done that ride. First of all if you pull up to load groceries you are not parking illegally, you are standing and would probably not be disallowed in a situation where clearly people need to load groceries into a car.

Second of all, how hard would it really have been to accommodate these people? if you were nice about it they probably would have appreciated your help. You guys have a lot more experience than I do but I don't assume the worst about every passenger.

Uber Crack

Author
You did the right thing. Grocery carts have wheels and can be pushed to your car where you decide to stop. If they were already showing signs of frustration and anger at you as you saw with the gestures, it would have been difficult to get their attitudes straightened out without extreme booty kissing. Homey don't play that. Riders need to be excited to see you and prance the distance to your car gleefully. Smh at pax these days.

touberornottouber

I would have done that ride. First of all if you pull up to load groceries you are not parking illegally, you are standing and would probably not be disallowed in a situation where clearly people need to load groceries into a car.

Second of all, how hard would it really have been to accommodate these people? if you were nice about it they probably would have appreciated your help. You guys have a lot more experience than I do but I don't assume the worst about every passenger.

Well it took me 4,000 rides to finally get to this. I came from doing taxi where you couldn't refuse a call unless it were due to safety or no money. You were also expected to help with groceries and luggage always.

The problem is there is a very high chance that if I took that ride she would have given me a 1*. There is also a slightly smaller chance she would have filed false flags with Lyft for things like "safety" and "professionalism". Believe me. I know this from experience and if you read these forums yourself you will see it. Even worse there is a much smaller chance that she might contact Lyft and tell them I am intoxicated or impaired or that I discriminated against her based on a factor such as skin color. Hell, it's not even unheard of for a Pax to claim they had a service animal and that you refused to take them due to that when they had no such service animal. Then even if you are completely innocent they suspend you for X hours, days, or even weeks while they investigate. It's also quite possible they will deactivate you permanently with no appeal possible. And even if they do ultimately reactivate you they will also use language such as "future flags like this will result in permanent deactivation". Even though the report is totally bogus it will be used against you in the future to justify your permanent deactivation shold another (probably bogus) report come through.

I would say 90% of my 1* are due to taking a trip with some variation of this one. BAsically whenever you say "NO" to the customer -- no matter how nice and polite you are -- there is a huge risk of a ratings or report hit. Another 9% of my 1* are probably due to outright discrimination such as skin color or my age. Maybe 1% are legitimate where I really did something seriously wrong on the ride such as a wrong turn (extremely rare). The same distribution is true for the false reports too. Nearly all are bogus in my experience and they mostly come from taking a ride where I had to say "NO" to the customer in some way.

Doing rideshare is pretty easy. Doing it in the long term is actually very hard and takes a lot of skill. One of those skills is "protect yourself at all times" or CYA - "cover your ass". If you don't do this, you won't last doing this because each trip like this is much like playing Russian Roulette.

Then there is the fact that this customer was very unlikely to ever tip even if I did magically know where to pull up right to them and was willing to block the lane of travel illegally and help them load a month's worth of groceries somehow in my compact car (if it even all fit - if it didn't they would probably blame me and demand a refund of any cancel fee). Odds are probably below 10% for getting a tip based on my experience. So you are doing all this extra work for pretty much nothing. With $7+ trips I usually don't mind so much but let me tell you it really hurts to load and unload 30 bags of groceries for $3.50 with no tip. It hurts a lot more to get a 1* and two bogus false reports from it as well. This has actually happened to me. Multiple times.

Last edited:

TheDevilisaParttimer

Walmart. I knew I should not have taken it but I needed one more to hit my quota for the day and it was very slow (two hours without a ping). I pull up and park illegally but in the loading zone away from the line of traffic and put my flashers on. I sit about 30 seconds and make eye contact with a lady who has a cart absolutely loaded with groceries. Now this was Lyft so O knew where it was going when I hit "arrive" and it probably would have been an $8-$10 run so not the usual $3.50 grocery run. I was still prepared to do this ride at this point.

Also note that I was maybe 50 feet away from her at this point. She had a cart and appeared to be mid-20's and able bodied. It was sprinkling with rain a little bit though.

1. I see she has another person with her who also has a cart of groceries. (I'm in a Corolla)
2. She is angry and motioning for me to come park immediately right in front of her where there are already other cars parked and right in the line of traffic. There is also a police car parked about 20 feet away from me though no one was in it at that moment.

I noticed she seemed angry and I could not quite hear it but I got the impression that the other woman with her was cussing about me.

Almost 3 years in and you messed up a perfectly good shuffle.

touberornottouber

Should have waited there for 5 minutes and collect. You know they weren't going to walk in the rain.

It was just sprinkling really. The distance not much at all. Maybe four or five car lengths. That is part of why I felt it was so ridiculous to demand that I move to right in front of them. I'm not even sure there was enough space to pull in there. I doubt it. It definitely would not have been legal or safe.

ZenUber

Well it took me 4,000 rides to finally get to this. I came from doing taxi where you couldn't refuse a call unless it were due to safety or no money. You were also expected to help with groceries and luggage always.

The problem is there is a very high chance that if I took that ride she would have given me a 1*. There is also a slightly smaller chance she would have filed false flags with Lyft for things like "safety" and "professionalism". Believe me. I know this from experience and if you read these forums yourself you will see it. Even worse there is a much smaller chance that she might contact Lyft and tell them I am intoxicated or impaired or that I discriminated against her based on a factor such as skin color. Hell, it's not even unheard of for a Pax to claim they had a service animal and that you refused to take them due to that when they had no such service animal. Then even if you are completely innocent they suspend you for X hours, days, or even weeks while they investigate. It's also quite possible they will deactivate you permanently with no appeal possible. And even if they do ultimately reactivate you they will also use language such as "future flags like this will result in permanent deactivation". Even though the report is totally bogus it will be used against you in the future to justify your permanent deactivation shold another (probably bogus) report come through.

I would say 90% of my 1* are due to taking a trip with some variation of this one. BAsically whenever you say "NO" to the customer -- no matter how nice and polite you are -- there is a huge risk of a ratings or report hit. Another 9% of my 1* are probably due to outright discrimination such as skin color or my age. Maybe 1% are legitimate where I really did something seriously wrong on the ride such as a wrong turn (extremely rare). The same distribution is true for the false reports too. Nearly all are bogus in my experience and they mostly come from taking a ride where I had to say "NO" to the customer in some way.

Doing rideshare is pretty easy. Doing it in the long term is actually very hard and takes a lot of skill. One of those skills is "protect yourself at all times" or CYA - "cover your ass". If you don't do this, you won't last doing this because each trip like this is much like playing Russian Roulette.

Then there is the fact that this customer was very unlikely to ever tip even if I did magically know where to pull up right to them and was willing to block the lane of travel illegally and help them load a month's worth of groceries somehow in my compact car (if it even all fit - if it didn't they would probably blame me and demand a refund of any cancel fee). Odds are probably below 10% for getting a tip based on my experience. So you are doing all this extra work for pretty much nothing. With $7+ trips I usually don't mind so much but let me tell you it really hurts to load and unload 30 bags of groceries for $3.50 with no tip. It hurts a lot more to get a 1* and two bogus false reports from it as well. This has actually happened to me. Multiple times.
Yes, that is a good litmus test. If you are going to have to say no to something, then you shouldn’t be taking the ride. It’s going to wind up hurting you. There is no reasonable system of oversight that Uber can employ to arbitrate all these little discrepancies.

goneubering

You have a valid excuse. Two hours without a ping can drive even a good person crazy!! :wink:

JohnnyBravo836

(1) It's Walmart. I don't do Walmart anymore, period. I had maybe 4 or 5 requests for rides from there when I first started, and at least 3 of them were waaaay more trouble than they were worth. In one case, they had two large shopping carts overflowing with groceries, plus two kids under the age of 4 without car seats. Insta-cancel. She argued with me: "the other drivers do it." I said, fine then, someone else will do it, but not me without car seats. I won't even go into the others that I did, but regretted. So, no more Walmart for me under any circumstances whatsoever.

(2) When they're already demonstrating a bad attitude before the ride has even started, take it as a big, fat signal flare: get out now, or accept the consequences -- you were warned.

Seamus

Did it right for sure. You know darn well once they are angry there is no recovery. Best to be moving on! As you’re going by roll down window and yell NO RIDE FOR YOU!:p

Alexxx_Uber

A lot of times you can see in the ping that it’s from Walmart or similar places. Immediate decline.
Even you realize it after accepting the ping, immediate cancel. Unless you are already in Walmart (for dropping off) and can have a measure of the hassle by looking from distance

RideshareUSA

Umm....yeahhh....please tell everyone you're not serious!

Alexxx_Uber

You can take all of my those kind of pings. In NJ. You’re welcome.