• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pax who don't wear seat belts in the front seat!

Another Uber Driver

Nothing. It's on them unless they're under age and then it's on you.
That depends on the jurisdiction. For the purposes of its primary nanny-ER-uh-seat belt law, the District of Columbia treats TNC vehicles as private motor vehicles. It holds the driver responsible for all passengers, regardless of age or condition. The law requires that all passengers in a motor vehicle in the District of Columbia (except in certain cases, vehicles) use their revenu-ER-uh-seat belts. In addition to all that, the District of Columbia assigns two points per violation (New York is the other state that does that, only D.C. and New York assign points). Thus, in the UberX car, in the District of Columbia, seat belts on or ride over.

Virginia's law is secondary and it is on the individual passenger if the police or sheriff's deputies stop me for something else. Thus, I do not care what the passenger does in Virginia.

Maryland has a primary law. It used to be secondary, but it became primary when Ehrlich was Governour. Supposedly, Ehrlich directed the various constabularies in Maryland not to enforce it. I do not know if that is true, but I did hear it from more than one source, one or two of which are reliable. I do not know what Owe'Malady did when he became Gubberner, nor do I know what Hogan has done. Put it this way, there is only one place where I ever have seen the seat belt law enforced in Maryland as a primary law: Montgomery County. As that is the land of Prius and Volvos with their "Ready for Hillary" bumper stickers, I am not surprised. Every other seat belt summons issued in Maryland about which I ever have heard was issued to a driver whom the police stopped for something else. In fact, in many cases, the driver of my acquaintance was stopped for a minor violation, and, following the "I gotta' get ya' fer' sumpin' " school of thought, the police did not issue a summons for the violation that he observed initially. Instead, he issued a summons for no seat belt. As the passenger over sixteen in Maryland is responsible for his own seat belt, I do not care what the passenger does in Maryland.

If we are crossing into the District of Columbia from either state, I tell the passenger that he will need to use his seat belt once we get to the City. If anyone balks, I try to be nice and tell them that I get a fifty dollar summons and two points for each passenger who does not use his seat belt. A comment or two about the idiocy of that law usually brings co-operation. If they balk still, I let them summon another Uber.

In the taxi, in the District of Columbia, as it is presumed to be under the direction of the passenger, each passenger is responsible for his own seat belt. Further, between 1800 and 0600, if the driver is pulling to the kerb to pick up a passenger or, if he is carrying one, he is exempt from the seat belt law. Maryland and Virginia give taxicabs a blanket exemption.

Check your local laws. If they hold the driver responsible, the only smart way to do it is nanny-ER-uh seat belt on, or ride off.

Fuzzyelvis

What do you do when pax refuse or don't use seat belts and sit in the front seat?
Well I always ask "Everyone belted in? Because you know in Houston you get a ticket even in the back!" And I've never had anyone argue.

If it's just one person up front and they don't move to put it on asap I'll say "Don't forget your seatbelt. You know how us uber drivers are!"

All have laughed and put it on.

I suppose if you wanted to be passive aggressive and they refuse you could take all the corners really fast and stop very quickly.

They'll get it. But you may get 1 starred.

Fuzzyelvis

Georgia here, front seats always need to be belted, rear only if they are under 18.
There's not enough insurance for 3 badly injured pax thrown out of the back of tbe car. Also, they are now possibly projectiles hitting ME. And we all know how much insurance the driver has. So regardless of the law it's stupid to not make them wear a seatbelt.

Lucky for me the law backs me up, but even of it didn't I'm not driving them without seatbelts.

RightTurnClyde

There's not enough insurance for 3 badly injured pax thrown out of the back of tbe car. Also, they are now possibly projectiles hitting ME. And we all know how much insurance the driver has. So regardless of the law it's stupid to not make them wear a seatbelt.

Lucky for me the law backs me up, but even of it didn't I'm not driving them without seatbelts.
Good point, and I agree! Just stating the law as it is, nothing more...

ClevelandUberRider

If I am driving Uber, and passengers do not put on their seat belts, I will politely say I hope you don't mind putting on your seat belts, it's the insurance issue, thank you very much.

(Edited a typo.)

Last edited:

D Town

In Texas its the passenger who gets the ticket if their not belted so I really don't give two craps if their not seated directly behind me.

Fuzzyelvis

In Texas its the passenger who gets the ticket if their not belted so I really don't give two craps if their not seated directly behind me.
They don't have to be directly behind you to hit you in a crash. Think rollover for instance.

And as I said, still not enough insurance.