Pax who ask us to cancel

ZenUber

It's no surprise, when I refuse someone for being underage or not having a childseat, that they would ask me to cancel. It happens all the time.

But I had a ping for a Lyft ride 13 minutes away. I normally wouldn't take it, but I was using the destination feature, and this ride would have got me close to home. Half way there I get a phone call from the pax. I declined the call, and they left voicemail. A few seconds later I got a message from them saying "Cancel Pickup for 514 Arch St." The guy obviously changed his mind and wants me to cancel so he doesn't have to pay. I pulled over and listened to the voicemail which said pretty much the same thing. So I drove to the pickup, waited out the timer, called his number, he didn't answer and it went to voicemail, then canceled and got the fee.

I'm thinking maybe he was new, and thought this would work. But he knew enough to not cancel himself. He was obviously afraid to meet me in person or even answer the phone. I guess he knows how things work now. He could have saved us both the trouble and just canceled himself. Or maybe he has gotten away with this tactic if it's a new driver.

I considered messaging him and telling him that he should be canceling the ride himself. But that would have meant pulling over and wasting more time writing and waiting for a response.

jFed

I had that last week on the Uber platform. Guy in-app text me to cancel twice. I ignored. He finally canceled. Uber screwed me out of the fee anyway despite my repeated emails objecting and stating my case. Really sucked cause I was on the interstate and it was another 6 miles to the next exit.

The next night Lyft tried doing the same thing to me. I objected and they immediately reversed their decision.

Benjamin M

I can't even imagine how many wasted miles I've had because of pax on Lyft canceling.

I had one yesterday, five riders and four seats. They wanted me to cancel. It was only a matter of feet from where I'd just dropped someone off, let it go because they had an entitled attitude. Dodged a bullet.

PlayLoud

I considered messaging him and telling him that he should be canceling the ride himself. But that would have meant pulling over and wasting more time writing and waiting for a response.
Perhaps create a detailed message and keyboard shortcut for such a post?

evad77

I had one a week ago man woman child no booster, I rolled the window down and said where’s the seat for the little one, dad says all the uber drivers take us, not this one, I said please cancel your ride, he says then I have to pay, I said you either cancel or I wait out the timer then I’ll cancel, either way you’ll pay, waited out the timer and cancelled no car seat. The whole time he’s trying to order a car and screaming at his wife that it won’t let me order. He’ll figure it out that once his open ride is closed he can try another sucker .

Trafficat

I tell them if I cancel before I arrive it will just route to another driver
This is true, actually. I had a lady who lives near my house who wanted to go to the airport several hours later... not when she requested it... but several hours later. I told her to cancel on her end and then I can be online later when she needs a ride. She couldn't figure out how to cancel, so I cancelled on my end. When I picked her up several hours later she said that another driver came after me and was furious at her for wasting his time.

ZenUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had one a week ago man woman child no booster, I rolled the window down and said where’s the seat for the little one, dad says all the uber drivers take us, not this one, I said please cancel your ride, he says then I have to pay, I said you either cancel or I wait out the timer then I’ll cancel, either way you’ll pay, waited out the timer and cancelled no car seat. The whole time he’s trying to order a car and screaming at his wife that it won’t let me order. He’ll figure it out that once his open ride is closed he can try another sucker .
Don’t forget to tell them, that If the driver cancels, it will register as no child seat, and uber I’ll then know what he’s doing. Sometimes I even show them what I’m selecting on the phone. Then it sinks in.

UberAdrian

It's no surprise, when I refuse someone for being underage or not having a childseat, that they would ask me to cancel. It happens all the time.
Tell them you'll be glad to cancel, it's the least you can do in light of the error. This lures them in like a pig to the slaughter. A pig will always agree with you when they have made a mistake but you take responsibility for it. Don't even worry about the timer. Then write into support about it and be creative. Uber sucks but from Lyft I receive great responses like this one I got after reporting a double no-car seat.

Thanks for sharing this experience you had on your most recent ride. It's saddening to hear that you had this kind of encounter with your Passenger. My name is x and I understand how concerned you must have been that your Passenger was traveling with No car seat during the ride, If that happened to me I’d be really concerned too. We are working hard to avoid this kind of experiences for our driver's.

There are proper protocols and regulations that our passengers. should adhere to and we will conduct an internal investigation and proceed with the necessary corrective and disciplinary actions to have this matter rectified to prevent such incidents from occurring again.

As a friendly reminder, Lyft recommends that passengers provide car seats for their children. For more info on this, read Policies for Uses of Lyft at our Help Center.

I've added that $5.00 no show fee to your account. Keep in mind, manual bonuses can take 1-3 business days to appear in your earnings. I've also gone ahead and excluded this ride from your acceptance rate.

I can also assure you will not be paired with this Passenger in any of your rides. Also if ever a situation arises where you have to comply with a Passenger and you're uncomfortable you can always decline the ride and report the incident to us, so we can take actions accordingly

I hope I managed to resolve everything for you today, remember, we at Lyft are always working to satisfy our customers to the fullest and your feedback is one of the best tools to maintain a good experience in Lyft, we would like to know any suggestions that you may have a short-form that will be sent to you in a few days

Thank you for your patience on this matter and If you need anything else, always know that we'll be just an email away.
The real interesting part is that he removed the record from my "acceptance rate" not my cancellation rate. And it's true, my acceptance did go down then up. What's up with this? I cancelled it at the pickup, there was no decline.

tryingforthat5star

Had college students try to cram five in the car so I said no. So she asked if I could cancel I said you can cancel so she said I don't want to get charged so I said ok ill cancel. I turned around parked right front of them waited 3 min hit cancel drove off got my $3.75 lol

June132017

One time I picked someone up who changed their mind about the ride. I seriously don't know why I agreed to cancel the ride without getting the $3.75.

I think at the time I didn't want to piss this family off because one of them could have rode with me and gave me a 1 star special. So maybe I made the right choice.