• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pax vs parked car. What would you do?

Would you.......

• Stop and take pictures and report it to Uber/Lyft?

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Stop and take pictures and leave a note?

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Flee like the wind?

Votes: 41 58.6%

• Total voters

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
You approach your pax's destination on a dark, quiet street. It's after 1:00 am on a weeknight. Before you come to a complete stop, your pax already has the door open and is exiting the car. Because your pax has had a bit too much to drink, she stumbles getting out and your door flies open and the sharp edge of your door strikes a parked car. There is damage to the parked car, but because your car door was fully opened when it struck the other car, you know there is little to no damage to your car. The only witness to this is your drunk pax who giggling, only says, "Oops!" before shutting your door and stumbling off, disappearing into the dark. You do not see what residence, if any she goes into.

The other car is a $40,000 newer model SUV and has damage like this:

(Not actual car)
Screenshot_20181025-231804~2.jpg

Without revealing what I did about it, when it happened and what platform I was on at the time, I'm giving a scenario of a situation where something happened on a dark, quiet street with no traffic at the time. There's lots of high landscaping and over grown trees lining the street. It's a single lane road with cars parked on both sides. There is no damage to your car and there is very little chance any one saw this.

Last edited:

mark_mark

2 key pro tips:

1) Lock Yo dam doors especially at night and especially after 1 am

2) don’t stop Yo ride next to another car, assume yo Pax is a complete moron and most are, especially at 1am

bonus tip) don’t start the ride until moron gets in yo Prius... why? incase yo ass needs to do a drive by cancel

Captainfantasitc SG8

Doors are your fault. You are operating the vehicle.

Ask me how I know this.
How do you know this?

You approach your pax's destination on a dark, quiet street. It's after 1:00 am on a weeknight. Before you come to a complete stop, your pax already has the door open and is exiting the car. Because your pax has had a bit too much to drink, she stumbles getting out and your door flies open and the sharp edge of your door strikes a parked car. There is damage to the parked car, but because your car door was fully opened when it struck the other car, you know there is little to no damage to your car. The only witness to this is your drunk pax who giggling, only says, "Oops!" before shutting your door andstumbling off into the dark.

(Not actual car)
View attachment 269352
I have done something really similar. Was on one of the queen Ann roads and trying to squeezs in into a very tiny spot. Scratched the shit out of the front bumper of the Lexus and my rear right door. Pax comes and sits inside. And we go our merry way.

freddieman

Leave a note with the riders address.

It’s not your fault, but you never know if someone’s watching or recording so yea leave a note,
This sounds like the best solution without any guilt. After all, it was the pax fault and u just happen to witness it. The pax should feel the responsibility to leave a note on the damaged car.

Cars parked on streets should expect some nicks and dents. It’s the pitfalls of parking on public street....escpecially the tight narrow roads in Seattle.

2 key pro tips:

1) Lock Yo dam doors especially at night and especially after 1 am

2) don’t stop Yo ride next to another car, assume yo Pax is a complete moron and most are, especially at 1am

bonus tip) don’t start the ride until moron gets in yo Prius... why? incase yo ass needs to do a drive by cancel
I usually position my car with ample room for the doors to swing open if pax chooses to stretch the doors limits.

You approach your pax's destination on a dark, quiet street. It's after 1:00 am on a weeknight. Before you come to a complete stop, your pax already has the door open and is exiting the car. Because your pax has had a bit too much to drink, she stumbles getting out and your door flies open and the sharp edge of your door strikes a parked car. There is damage to the parked car, but because your car door was fully opened when it struck the other car, you know there is little to no damage to your car. The only witness to this is your drunk pax who giggling, only says, "Oops!" before shutting your door andstumbling off into the dark.

(Not actual car)
View attachment 269352
That’s a pretty big damage for a door swinging open. Are u sure ur car didn’t get any damage?

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I said, the pax opened the door and started getting out before I had come to a complete stop. I was planning on stopping 20 feet further where it was wide open for her. I do not use child locks on people who have been drinking. If they need to lean out that door fast at a red light to vomit, then please do so.

That’s a pretty big damage for a door swinging open. Are u sure ur car didn’t get any damage?
That car in the picture was not the actual car. It was a dark SUV and the dent wasn't that deep. No, my car is surprisingly like a tank. Big heavy well built doors. Only evidence on my car is curls of paint gouged from the other car on the edge of my door, which I removed later with my bare hand.

Last edited:

Risab1981

As an owner of a Darker 40 something SUV, personally, yeah I'd want your # or the PAX info.
Cameras...there are cameras everywhere now days. Nice cameras, with IR. I know, I have some. Did you drop @ a house? House could have cams, neighbor's house could have cams.

Sadly, if you report this to Uber, they're too dumb to react normally and will flag it as "You were in an accident" and probably suspend you, lol

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
As an owner of a Darker 40 something SUV, personally, yeah I'd want your # or the PAX info.
Cameras...there are cameras everywhere now days. Nice cameras, with IR. I know, I have some. Did you drop @ a house? House could have cams, neighbor's house could have cams.
In between houses with heavy shrubbery, landscaping, and trees lining the sidewalks and streets. Overgrown residential style street.

Last edited:

Risab1981

In between houses with heavy shrubbery, landscaping, and trees lining the sidewalks and streets. Ballad residential style.
Risky. Someone's got video of your car entering/leaving the area...I'd go leave a note and have them call you. Just be careful with UBs, they will make a bigger deal than it needs to be. Figure out a way to get the victim in touch with the PAX, using -I found an item- or something...don't report damage, it will set shit off that doesn't need to be.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Risky. Someone's got video of your car entering/leaving the area...I'd go leave a note and have them call you. Just be careful with UBs, they will make a bigger deal than it needs to be. Figure out a way to get the victim in touch with the PAX, using -I found an item- or something...don't report damage, it will set shit off that doesn't need to be.
Understood, also this is a residential street, but a common route for Ants as well as locals to that district.

Marco Solo

Leave a note with the riders address. It’s not your fault, but you never know if someone’s watching or recording so yea leave a note,
Although I don't believe you are to *blame,* it *is* your fault. (Technically.) You were the driver, and you are responsible for what your pax do while in your car. However, any jury would likely fail to find you guilty of hit-and-run. I doubt any prosecutor would charge you, either.

More importantly, once the pax denies responsibility after being contacted by the victimized car owner, you are the only other person at the scene who could have known the pax's address. (Assuming the pickup address really is the pax's residence.) Fuber will be able to easily figure that out. You will appear guilty.

A dent that large might very well leave paint transfer. If the victim gets her insurance company to move quickly in taking samples of that paint transfer, you might be required to let them test your car for a match. At that point, you're sunk. Fuber would deactivate you for not reporting the accident.

Appearing to leave a note is smart, but don't leave the pax's address. Don't leave any address or identifying information. Don't write or print *anything.* Just scribble a doodle; that way no one can ever conclusively match it to any future attempt by you to replicate it in an insurance hearing.

But a better strategy is to not be seen examining both cars at all, and just drive off as if you were unaware of any damage done. Don't leave a note. Don't tell the pax she caused damage to both cars. Any camera recording will show that you behaved as if you had no idea your car door had hit the other car. Sometimes intent can be a significant factor in hit-and-run prosecutions. If you were seen to drive away without (apparently) realizing any physical contact had been made, intent will be extremely hard to prove.

Ethically, yes--you had the moral & legal obligation to leave a note with contact information. (The pax's name & address would be appropriate, as long as disclosing it doesn't violate the TOS.) If you were to go that way, start recording an immediate conversation with the pax: "Hey, [softly] I'm recording this and [loudly] you shouldn't have opened my car door before I had reached a safe place to stop and let you out. Look at that dent you caused in this person's car..." Get the pax talking so that she acknowledges her action caused the damage. Go for broke by asking her to write down her fone number for "the note I'm going to leave."

Last edited:

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
It *is* your fault. You were the driver, and you are responsible for what your pax do while in your car.

More importantly, once the pax denies responsibility after being contacted by the victimized car owner, you are the only other person at the scene who could have known the pax's address. (Assuming the pickup address really is the pax's residence.) Fuber will be able to easily figure that out. You will appear guilty.

A dent that large might very well leave paint transfer. If the victim gets her insurance company to move quickly in taking samples of that paint transfer, you might be required to let them test your car for a match. At that point, you're sunk. Fuber would deactivate you for not reporting the accident.

Appearing to leave a note is smart, but don't leave the pax's address. Don't leave any address or identifying information. Don't write or print *anything.* Just scribble a doodle; that way no one can ever conclusively match it to any future attempt by you to replicate it in an insurance hearing.
My car is used. There's no paint transfer on my car at all. Also my car belonged to a woman with kids prior to me owning it. Inside the back door edges there are multiple chips of removed paint in multiple places where the door had struck multiple places in the past.

Alexxx_Uber

I can’t understand how is his fault ... is there any thing he could’ve done to avoid it? What is his fault exactly? Another person opened a car door while driving, not true? How is it drivers fault exactly???
Seems to me that we lack laws or regulations on this matter. Uber should be liable, because Uber gave him that pax!

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Pax was picked up at a dive bar. Then she stumbled off into the alley after getting out of the car. I never saw her approach any residence. There were some apartments down at the end of the alley as well as back doors to numerous houses lining the alley.

It was dark. She literally disappeared into the night.

Marco Solo

My car is used. There's no paint transfer on my car at all. Also my car belonged to a woman with kids prior to me owning it. Inside the back door edges there are multiple chips of removed paint in multiple places where the door had struck multiple places in the past.
I'm not implying that a paint match would be conclusive. All it could do is give the insurance investigators an indication of what *type* of car with such paint was involved. It couldn't be used to determine that a *particular* car was the cause.

Just because there's no paint transfer from the other car onto your car, that doesn't rule out the possibility that your car left paint transfer on the other car.

freddieman

As I said, the pax opened the door and started getting out before I had come to a complete stop. I was planning on stopping 20 feet further where it was wide open for her. I do not use child locks on people who have been drinking. If they need to lean out that door fast at a red light to vomit, then please do so.

That car in the picture was not the actual car. It was a dark SUV and the dent wasn't that deep. No, my car is surprisingly like a tank. Big heavy well built doors. Only evidence on my car is curls of paint gouged from the other car on the edge of my door, which I removed with my bare hand.
So did u do one of these looks? ...:rolleyes: