PAX tried to scam me.

KGB7

Ive said it many many times, always get a destination from your PAX.

Tonight i pick up PAX and his GF at IHOP. He tells me to drive towards Glebe road, so i ask him to send me address. He types it in and the way we go.

As we get to the destination, he tells me that we are dropping off his GF and going to another location. No problem, ive done this dozens of times. But the convo is what raised the red flag for me.

PAX: just drive straight, ill guide you.
ME: Please send me the destination.
PAX: I dont know the address. (attitude in his voice)
ME: I need it for the record and so you are charged properly.
PAX: Ive never heard of this. Are you new?(more attitude)
Me; Nope.
Pax; What if customer doesnt know the address but can guide you, what then?
ME: then i need a name of the place so i can look it up or cross intersection closest to the address.

He finally enters the address. When we get to the final destination, it was his apartment building. Second Red flag.
How the @@@@ do you not know your own address where you live??

The scam? If there is no record of second destination, PAX contacts Uber and tells them i drove for another 3 miles before ending the trip , thus Uber refunds PAX part of the fee.

PAX rating is 4.5.

If PAX is out of town, or going to some place new, then ill work with PAX and help him/her find the address. But bluntly lying to me, is not going to fly.

Protect your self at all times. If PAX knows how to get from A to B, then they can easily give you a closest building/house number on that street. It doesnt have to be exact address, but its better then nothing, and it will be on record.

JimS

Per someone else's advice here, I send the following text I have stored in my texting app as soon as I get a ping:

Hi. I'm your Uber driver. Can you please tell me the name of the business or building you are in front of? I'll be there in a few minutes. I'm in a white Saturn with an Uber logo in the window.

It's a good thing, too. My first fare (ever) pinged me from a mile away. I was literally in front of them when pinged, but drove off to an apartment complex several blocks away. He responded to the text, I explained his ping was wrong. No harm no foul. 5*'s all the way around.

Last edited:

CommanderXL

Per someone else's advice here, I send the following text I have stored in my texting app as soon as I get a ping:

Hi. I'm your Uber driver. Can you please tell me the babe of the business or building you are :/ front of? I'll be there in a few minutes. I'm in a white Saturn with an Uber logo in the window.

It's a good thing, too. My first fare (ever) pinged me from a mile away. I was literally in front of them when pinged, but drove off to an apartment complex several blocks away. He responded to the text, I explained his ping was wrong. No harm no foul. 5*'s all the way around.
Do all buildings where you are have their own babes? Cool! Lol

poopy

Hi. I'm your Uber driver. Can you please tell me the babe of the business or building you are :/ front of?
Don't overlook the :/ in front of the building.

That and :frown: were the two most used expressions on my face as I was parked waiting on pax, in front of a building or not.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Ive said it many many times, always get a destination from your PAX.

Tonight i pick up PAX and his GF at IHOP. He tells me to drive towards Glebe road, so i ask him to send me address. He types it in and the way we go.

As we get to the destination, he tells me that we are dropping off his GF and going to another location. No problem, ive done this dozens of times. But the convo is what raised the red flag for me.

PAX: just drive straight, ill guide you.
ME: Please send me the destination.
PAX: I dont know the address. (attitude in his voice)
ME: I need it for the record and so you are charged properly.
PAX: Ive never heard of this. Are you new?(more attitude)
Me; Nope.
Pax; What if customer doesnt know the address but can guide you, what then?
ME: then i need a name of the place so i can look it up or cross intersection closest to the address.

He finally enters the address. When we get to the final destination, it was his apartment building. Second Red flag.
How the @@@@ do you not know your own address where you live??

The scam? If there is no record of second destination, PAX contacts Uber and tells them i drove for another 3 miles before ending the trip , thus Uber refunds PAX part of the fee.

PAX rating is 4.5.

If PAX is out of town, or going to some place new, then ill work with PAX and help him/her find the address. But bluntly lying to me, is not going to fly.

Protect your self at all times. If PAX knows how to get from A to B, then they can easily give you a closest building/house number on that street. It doesnt have to be exact address, but its better then nothing, and it will be on record.
Great PRO driver tip KGB! Did you 2* him for being a fkn @@@@@@bag?

KGB7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you get a chance, please post the UA name and bldg addy. So other local drivers can add him to their "no fly lists". This fartbag can ride the bus with his chiseling non-tipping cousin, SactoB!
I didnt write down his name. Im sure his new dinged rank will be enough to keep experienced drivers away.

Then again, new drivers will pick up PAX even with a rating of 1.

xhydraspherex

This is an eye opener for me. I didn't know they can refund the money to the pax. I had to do this twice already.

1st- I picked up 2 guys headed toward Santa Monica, one got off and just said drop off my buddy at his place. His buddy gave me directions to culver city, which ended up like 15min later.

2nd- a guy wanted to go and drop off something to his buddy, I said ok, 7min trip and he said to wait cuz I had to take him back to his place. So I waited 5min before he hopped back on and back to the staring point.

Idk if they reported or not. I never got an email or anything.

KGB7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is an eye opener for me. I didn't know they can refund the money to the pax. I had to do this twice already.

1st- I picked up 2 guys headed toward Santa Monica, one got off and just said drop off my buddy at his place. His buddy gave me directions to culver city, which ended up like 15min later.

2nd- a guy wanted to go and drop off something to his buddy, I said ok, 7min trip and he said to wait cuz I had to take him back to his place. So I waited 5min before he hopped back on and back to the staring point.

Uber never sends you an email in those cases. Uber just deducts the $$ and never tells you about it.

I had PAX, who delivered groceries to his friend, then took me back to his original pick up. He gladly entered both destinations knowing that it needs to be on record.

PAX: We going back to same location after we get to first destination.
Me; yeah, that fine, just send me the address.
PAX: NP.
Me; Thanks dude.

PAX had a make out session with his female friend. French people are awesome, they kiss each other for no reason like its New Years Eve.

Fuzzyelvis

If they take away money for any reason Uber won't tell you. They just do it.