Pax threatens to assault me because I won't help him jumpstart his car.

touberornottouber

I'm in FL on the east coast so we are getting a lot of rain from the tropical storm. I get a request about mile away. Uber says it is a four minute trip (oh great!). After about a minute of driving the pax calls me and says the address is wrong and then tells me he doesn't need a ride. He just wants me to jump start his car so he can get to work.

I politely explain that we are just here to drive people and that I can't jump start his car. I don't even have jumper cables. He tells me he has some. I again tell him that we are not here to do that and that I would gladly drive him to work if he wants. He continues trying to get me to jump start his car. I finally tell him, "No, especially not in the pouring rain. We're just not here to do that. Youshould probably call AAA or someone like that to help you do that."

Customer pauses for a couple seconds and then tells me he is going to physically assault me if he sees me. I tell him that I am going to call the police right now. He hangs up. Cancels the ride. I write a message into Uber about the guy and tell them they should pull the call to listen for themselves.

These riders are getting pretty crazy. No, I'm not going to jump start your car in the pouring rain for $3. For those who don't know jumpstarting cars can damage your vehicle. You have no idea what is wrong with the other person's vehicle. If you really want to help jumpstart cars you should get one of those separate instant boosters which use their own battery. But even then what if it doesn't work and the customer claims you ruined their car? Last issue is it is near the perfect set up for a carjacking. Think about it.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I'm in FL on the east coast so we are getting a lot of rain from the tropical storm. I get a request about mile away. Uber says it is a four minute trip (oh great!). After about a minute of driving the pax calls me and says the address is wrong and then tells me he doesn't need a ride. He just wants me to jump start his car so he can get to work.

I politely explain that we are just here to drive people and that I can't jump start his car. I don't even have jumper cables. He tells me he has some. I again tell him that we are not here to do that and that I would gladly drive him to work if he wants. He continues trying to get me to jump start his car. I finally tell him, "No, especially not in the pouring rain. We're just not here to do that. Youshould probably call AAA or someone like that to help you do that."

Customer pauses for a couple seconds and then tells me he is going to physically assault me if he sees me. I tell him that I am going to call the police right now. He hangs up. Cancels the ride. I write a message into Uber about the guy and tell them they should pull the call to listen for themselves.

These riders are getting pretty crazy. No, I'm not going to jump start your car in the pouring rain for $3. For those who don't know jumpstarting cars can damage your vehicle. You have no idea what is wrong with the other person's vehicle. If you really want to help jumpstart cars you should get one of those separate instant boosters which use their own battery. But even then what if it doesn't work and the customer claims you ruined their car? Last issue is it is near the perfect set up for a carjacking. Think about it.
Yep, I know a friend who tried to jump start a buddy's car and damaged most his own electrical system including his car's computer. Turns out his buddy had a dead battery because a wire had come loose in the engine compartment and was touching the body.

34-Methoxyzacko

Not only have I had precisely this circumstance occur (though not in Florida, but Colorado at the time), the person had attempted multiple drivers. Due to their attitude, we had apparently all declined (I believe I was the 3rd attempt; driver #2 was still at the traffic light as I was leaving & asked if I’d also been requested over it).
All that aside— the point you bring up regarding safety are on the mark. It indeed makes for an ideal carjacking scenario (some folks may not feel that, but region/location is significant). Also, yes— one can damage a vehicle; I’ve seen just how simple $7k in damage can occur to a newer model vehicle nowadays.

Desperation brings out the best and worst in folks. As for the assault threat— why some feel this sort of behavior is advantageous is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Seamus

This has come up to me a few times over the years. I'm more of an entrepreneur so for me it's an opportunity. Of course never use jumper cables and your own car, that's asking for trouble. I have a separate booster that works great.

My offer is $20 cash upfront, no negotiation. When I was Ubering, I also made them cancel the ride so I got the cancel fee. Over the years I have more than paid for my booster. If someone is very vulnerable like a young teenage girl or a senior citizen (non uber related) then I do it free just to be a kind person.

I have 4 children who are young adults so I bought each one of them a booster to keep in their trunks so they never have to rely on anyone.

Director T.Y. Sanchez

My offer is $20 cash upfront, no negotiation. When I was Ubering, I also made them cancel the ride so I got the cancel fee. Over the years I have more than paid for my booster. If someone is very vulnerable like a young teenage girl or a senior citizen (non uber related) then I do it free just to be a kind person.

We keep a couple of those in the shop & at the office. For $20, you're letting them off cheap. I charge $35. If they call a tow truck, they're gonna pay at least $50 & maybe more . & if the car stalls & the tow truck guy's gotta hook it up again, he's gonna rip your ass off for another $50. If it stalls when I'm there, I ain't gonna charge you again.

Like you. it's no arguments no negotiation. $35 or you can push the sucker or pay the tow truck $50.

I've cut 'em a break, too, if they're old or some young girl on a lonely road.

I had 1 single mom w/4 kids once offer me a "favor" in exchange. She wasn't bad looking but I'm married & what goes around comes around & she looked like she was having a rough time of it, so I gave her the jump. She got 10 ft. & it stalled so I had to jump it again. I hope she made it home.

ABQuber

I read an article a while back where some bag of *#%+s was promoting this very thing. Order an Uber if you need a jump to save yourself a AAA fee.

Although to be fair, article did say to offer your Uber $20 or something to do it. Said most drivers would jump at that chance. (No pun)

kingcorey321

even 50 dollars. Its not worth it .
Dead battery on there car. This may damage your pcm engine computer over loading it .
The alternator regulator or sense wire is now built into the engine pcm.
Fry that engine computer might cost you a grand !
Worth the risk for 50 ?
If all goes well you just put a major strain on your alternator i will estimate taking a year of service away from its life .
A alternator today is 200 to 1200 . Worth jumping a car ?
Now if you give your car gas to get the rpm higher its burning the alternator up it could take just 5 minutes to totally destroy it .
My info comes from me 22 years as a mechanic now retired .

wallae

even 50 dollars. Its not worth it .
Dead battery on there car. This may damage your pcm engine computer over loading it .
The alternator regulator or sense wire is now built into the engine pcm.
Fry that engine computer might cost you a grand !
Worth the risk for 50 ?
If all goes well you just put a major strain on your alternator i will estimate taking a year of service away from its life .
A alternator today is 200 to 1200 . Worth jumping a car ?
50 years of jumping friends, neighbors, family and strangers for free
Never had an 1 issue.

wallae

I’ve never had one request but if I did have a bunch of them I would buy one of those boosters from Walmart that you plug-in at night.
Faster and quicker
Post automatically merged:

That's why I'm glad my Hybrid car doesn't even have a 12v battery.
My 61 xlch didn’t have any battery
Do you have to kick start your car?

Attachments

• 04D74035-995F-4DB1-8A32-F75A5008A2B2.jpeg
    04D74035-995F-4DB1-8A32-F75A5008A2B2.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18

Gone_in_60_seconds

Pax are just entitled. I had one that wanted to turn my car into a moving van. Now they want you to become a discount roadside assistance service. At least the idiot cancelled and you got a cancellation fee.

That's why I'm glad my Hybrid car doesn't even have a 12v battery.
What hybrid car is that?

Iann

I’ve never had one request but if I did have a bunch of them I would buy one of those boosters from Walmart that you plug-in at night.
Faster and quicker

My 61 xlch didn’t have any battery
Do you have to kick start your car?
Lol.

2019 Hyundai Ioniq has a integrated 12v battery that is shared with the Hybrid battery.
Sort of like how a partition works on a hard drive.
It does NOT have a 12v battery.

kingcorey321

50 years of jumping friends, neighbors, family and strangers for free
Never had an 1 issue.
50 years . Interesting debate . Until you said 50 years.
Do you think that cars have changed in the last 10 years ?
Actually in the last 5 years cars made some major improvements .
Just 25 years ago if your car had 100k on it you junked it.
Glad you got lucky getting out cables .
Instead tell them to fix there cars instead of jumping them.
Here is what google says . There not always correct .
And what i posted above is accurate information about over heating your alternator .
But jumping batteries on cars built after 2000 might not be so smart. That's because newer vehicles contain as many as a dozen computers and even more digital devices. Jump-starting with cables connected to a running vehicle can create a voltage surge large enough to fry expensive computers in either vehicle.

Last edited:

dmoney155

Yeah, I wouldn't entertain that either..... well, as a matter a fact I wouldn't even pick up the call. They aren't paying enough to offer any out of ordinary request. I go to address provided, timer start, pax not there, too bad, gone... pax got stuff, gone... pax want car boosted, gone.... pax wants anything other than get in car (sober, clean and with mask on), gone.