PAX scratched my car, Uber says it's considered "wear & tear"

TheMilkyWay

IMG_3056.jpg
I'm having a bear of a time trying to get compensation or repair for PAX who scratched, scuffed and chipped tiny piece of paint with her fat ass giant black suitcase to Logan. I sent Uber all the info, ride ID, all the particulars and three photos. They told me it's basic wear and tear. I was pissed at that response from Uber and said clumsy neglect and disrespect for my property is not simple wear and tear as is tires and age this is abuse and disrespect for my brand new car! After I sent that retort they told me I could go thru the Uber claims process but that I would have to pay their $1000 deductible. I can live with my bad luck and chaulking it up to ignorant selfish PAX (no, no tip either) again but I can't live with Uber's uncaring response and attitude. Any suggestions people? This is more principle than little scratch now! Thank you.

TheMilkyWay

I
a "magic eraser" cleaning pad will take that right off,and then reapply some car wax on the bumper

this is why i load luggage, sorry this happened to you
Thanks and I agree the scuffs will come out but the little chip is paint gouge. My car is brand new and I give my riders 110% rides and candy, this is disrespect AND Uber's response is way too uncaring!

B - uberlyftdriver

yeah, i feel your pain
the first few scratches hurt the most and we all know uber could care less
uber's insurance is like workmans comp use it if you want to get fired

TheMilkyWay

yeah, i feel your pain
the first few scratches hurt the most and we all know uber could care less
uber's insurance is like workmans comp use it if you want to get fired
Hahah, thanks. Uber Insurance with $1000 deductible ya hahhaha they offered (jerks) but how about a "GeeWhiz, sorry about that here's a coupon for bottle of touch up pain and magic eraser and we'll send a strong guy over to buff it out for you because we love you as do your riders by the looks of your 4.89 rating and being with us over 2 1/2 years and never having contacted us with any such thing in the past".
No, huh, oh well shrugged shoulders!

TheMilkyWay

Why are you using a brand new car to drive for Uber? Do you like throwing money away?
Because I have wayyyyy more money than you, that's why.

That is wear and tear. If that upsets you you shouldn't use your car for hire lol.
Naaa, it doesn't upset me, I like when people are inconsiderate a-holes and treat my shid with total ignorance and disrespect. Where's your car, I have a suitcase with nails coming out of it your name on it!

LMAO, you are funny
the cut and paste answer will get friendlier in the 180 days of change campaign, don't worry
Ya, I vented to you "good guys", I feel better now! Thanks for listening!

grams777

Author
If something like that stands out on your car, it's too good to be using for Uber.

TheMilkyWay

Perhaps this is a good reason to load your Pax luggage for them
Perhaps! Perhaps not! I'll ax them next time if they plan on tipping me to wait on their cheap arse! They called an X? Guess what the chances are for tip when they call the cheapest ride for big luggage and fat asses? No I DO NOT pick up Pools. And yes I'm nice as pie sporting a 4.89 for 2 1/2 years I'm only an a-hole to people who are not at all helpful and rather spew negativity and troll! Yip-pee-yi-O-kia-YEA

If something like that stands out on your car, it's too good to be using for Uber.
Ya, I guess, huh? FML I like brand new cars! Not everyone does Uber for a living and needs to scrounge every penny out of a day.

I'm funny, huh? You should see me at a party! People rent me out for my humor and sarcasm. Glad I wrote in this AM but I really gotta do stuff, it's a nice rainy Sunday!

scamp

View attachment 154513 I'm having a bear of a time trying to get compensation or repair for PAX who scratched, scuffed and chipped tiny piece of paint with her fat ass giant black suitcase to Logan. I sent Uber all the info, ride ID, all the particulars and three photos. They told me it's basic wear and tear. I was pissed at that response from Uber and said clumsy neglect and disrespect for my property is not simple wear and tear as is tires and age this is abuse and disrespect for my brand new car! After I sent that retort they told me I could go thru the Uber claims process but that I would have to pay their $1000 deductible. I can live with my bad luck and chaulking it up to ignorant selfish PAX (no, no tip either) again but I can't live with Uber's uncaring response and attitude. Any suggestions people? This is more principle than little scratch now! Thank you.

I had a similar experience...

A Pax broke my door handle and cost to replace and paint was $168. An Uber rep kept telling me I had to pay the $1000 deductible. I felt that was wrong because Mass is an at fault state and deductibles must be waived when you have the offending party's contact info. After a few back and forths, Uber rep made mistake of stating in writing the excuse Uber had this NATIONAL INSURANCE policy thru James River and that handles deductibles differently... gotcha! I contacted Attorney General's Consumer Hotline (617) 727-8400 and they told me there's NO such thing as national car insurance policies, it's state regulated and it's insurance fraud to mispresent policy coverage. I called Uber and quoted their exact verbiage, stressing INSURANCE FRAUD claim, and the contact number... finally Uber credited my account after I faxed copy of dealer's repair cost.

In short, stick to your guns and know the law! ANY damage to exterior of vehicle by PAX must be paid by Uber.

ROTA

A Pax broke my door handle and cost to replace and paint was $168. An Uber rep kept telling me I had to pay the $1000 deductible. I felt that was wrong because Mass is an at fault state and deductibles must be waived when you have the offending party's contact info. After a few back and forths, Uber rep made mistake of stating in writing the excuse Uber had this NATIONAL INSURANCE policy thru James River and that handles deductibles differently... gotcha! I contacted Attorney General's Consumer Hotline (617) 727-8400 and they told me there's NO such thing as national car insurance policies, it's state regulated and it's insurance fraud to mispresent policy coverage. I called Uber and quoted their exact verbiage, stressing INSURANCE FRAUD claim, and the contact number... finally Uber credited my account after I faxed copy of dealer's repair cost.

In short, stick to your guns and know the law! ANY damage to exterior of vehicle by PAX must be paid by Uber.
that was a amazing thing you did and told us.. i will save rhis for sure thanks for tnis info!
Thats why i like this forum...
you will find good stuff

TheMilkyWay

Great info Scamper! So I should keep proding until they say what? Or I should cut and paste half of your response and send it to them? Of course they've already sent me their "resolved your issue" pat on their own back response which we all know is never a satisfactory "resolved your issue" schtick. What's my next step Scamp, please/thank you.

scamp

Great info Scamper! So I should keep proding until they say what? Or I should cut and paste half of your response and send it to them? Of course they've already sent me their "resolved your issue" pat on their own back response which we all know is never a satisfactory "resolved your issue" schtick. What's my next step Scamp, please/thank you.

Have you called Uber or are you corresponding only thru email?

#1 If emails, SAVE them all, especially the parts stating its $1000 deductible for damage done to YOUR outer vehicle by IDENTIABLE party. That's key, in MASS you must have an identiable party in order to demand deductible waiver. Uber shouldn't be telling drivers they must in all instances pay deductible because that's NOT how MASS insurance laws are designed.

In Uber's case, Uber already has all the the PAX's info, PLUS their credit card to charge. Their insurance company won't be out a penny it's just Uber dragging their feet, and making up lies because they're reluctant to actually charge a PAX. They're the same on cleaning fees, drag their feet vs take side of drivers.

#2 You can call Attorney General's consumer hotline and get an on the record quote about deductible waiver to use in your email or phone call to Uber. That's always best, to quote the law and how it applies in your case.

#3 Don't give up! Uber counts on drivers giving up on small claims like this. That's their racket, expecting drivers to throw their hands up in frustration and let PAX get away with murder. Keep escalating your claim to Uber, request a supervisor escalate your issue, stressing your phone call with Attorney General's office.

Also, don't let Uber change their defense. They aren't arguing that PAX didn't damage your car, just that if you want it repaired you must pay Uber's $1000 deductible for the claim. THAT's a lie, deductible waiver requires you to be LESS than 50% at fault AND have an identifiable party.

Last edited: