PAX scam? Or just PAX stupidity? That is the question.

LEAFdriver

OK. Just want to throw this out there and see what the consensus is. LOL

Friday night...I was in Lincolnshire and I get a ping for a pick up at the Red Roof Inn in Deerfield at 1.9 surge. (2nd highest I've ever been 'offered') I ACCEPT...rider has good rating (at least 4.9 or above, I can't remember exactly). Approximately 12-15 away from my current location. I start driving.

3 minutes from location I get a text that just says: "On front of entrance". No problem...I'm assuming they are waiting for me at the entrance of the Red Roof Inn. :rolleyes:

I arrive....confirm arrival and park right at the entrance of the hotel. I don't see anyone....so I send a text saying: "Here at the front entrance".

Then, about a minute later, I get a phone call and the caller says: "Since there are so many people walking around I just want to make sure you can find me."

I think to myself 'rut roh....he is NOT at this location...since there is not a person in sight for miles.'

I tell him: "I'm at the front entrance of the Red Roof Inn....there are NO people walking around. Where are you?"

He then tells me: "Ravinia" Sigh. :frown:

(I knew that was at least another 10-15 minutes from my location) So...by this point, I've already been 'off-line for about 20 minutes during a 1.9 surge):mad:

The guy realizes 'his mistake' :rolleyes: (not so sure it really was a mistake....if you catch my drift) and then I tell him he will need to cancel and request another Uber. So he cancels....and I get my $4. :frown:

He tries to re-request another Uber...and by that time, the surge was down to about 1.2x....and I ignore it, since he is another 15 minutes away. (the Red Roof Inn should have been his DESTINATION...not his LOCATION!)

So....this is my theory. PAX tries to order UberX....No UberX available....so he deliberately puts in a location to draw an UberX closer to his location...and then just acts DUMB when I arrive....hoping I'll just go ahead and drive the extra 15 minutes (30 total) to go pick him up.

What do you all think? Scam or Stupidity? One can never tell with these pax sometimes. :eek:

chideordie

OK. Just want to throw this out there and see what the consensus is. LOL

Friday night...I was in Lincolnshire and I get a ping for a pick up at the Red Roof Inn in Deerfield at 1.9 surge. (2nd highest I've ever been 'offered') I ACCEPT...rider has good rating (at least 4.9 or above, I can't remember exactly). Approximately 12-15 away from my current location. I start driving.

3 minutes from location I get a text that just says: "On front of entrance". No problem...I'm assuming they are waiting for me at the entrance of the Red Roof Inn. :rolleyes:

I arrive....confirm arrival and park right at the entrance of the hotel. I don't see anyone....so I send a text saying: "Here at the front entrance".

Then, about a minute later, I get a phone call and the caller says: "Since there are so many people walking around I just want to make sure you can find me."

I think to myself 'rut roh....he is NOT at this location...since there is not a person in sight for miles.'

I tell him: "I'm at the front entrance of the Red Roof Inn....there are NO people walking around. Where are you?"

He then tells me: "Ravinia" Sigh. :frown:

(I knew that was at least another 10-15 minutes from my location) So...by this point, I've already been 'off-line for about 20 minutes during a 1.9 surge):mad:

The guy realizes 'his mistake' :rolleyes: (not so sure it really was a mistake....if you catch my drift) and then I tell him he will need to cancel and request another Uber. So he cancels....and I get my $4. :frown:

He tries to re-request another Uber...and by that time, the surge was down to about 1.2x....and I ignore it, since he is another 15 minutes away. (the Red Roof Inn should have been his DESTINATION...not his LOCATION!)

So....this is my theory. PAX tries to order UberX....No UberX available....so he deliberately puts in a location to draw an UberX closer to his location...and then just acts DUMB when I arrive....hoping I'll just go ahead and drive the extra 15 minutes (30 total) to go pick him up.

What do you all think? Scam or Stupidity? One can never tell with these pax sometimes. :eek:
I'm leaning towards simple stupidity on this one...

LarryA

Scam, period! Had an experience yesterday. While I was leaving ORD yesterday I got a ping to pick up a rider at Cumberland (about 7 mins from the airport). I got to the destination, waited 3mins, rider called to inform me he was at Marriott ORD. I told him to cancel, it ain't worth my time. Moreover, rider has a 1.0 star rating.

LEAFdriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scam, period! Had an experience yesterday. While I was leaving ORD yesterday I got a ping to pick up a rider at Cumberland (about 7 mins from the airport). I got to the destination, waited 3mins, rider called to inform me he was at Marriott ORD. I told him to cancel, it ain't worth my time. Moreover, rider has a 1.0 star rating.
See my dilemma? I'm getting more and more skeptical of rider 'mistakes' every day! :oopsies:

Sydney Uber

I have a standard text I send out to all jobs over a few minutes running (there are more of those on Black, but you don't mind driving to a real address on $25 min).

"OTW to your given pickup location- please confirm it's xx street suburb. Rgds Driver Xxxxx."

They don't always respond and if I arrive and they call apologising that they put in the wrong address I ask if they want to book another car and get hit with a cancellation fee, or should I start the App and drive over to them?

Their choice.

LEAFdriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you know what the surge was in the ravinia area at the time? I'm going to guess probably around the same as the redroof. They are not too far away from each other.

The usual scam is the pax request you to a non surge area and then does the "Oops, im over here.(surge area)" non sense.
I totally forgot about that scam....but in my area...surge is the same in ALL of Lake County...which is anything North of Lake-Cook Rd....so they can't use that one here...YET. :rolleyes:

Realityshark

I'm not sure why it matters if the passenger was scamming or not.

What is noteworthy is that Uber has nothing in place to help drivers with this sort of crap. In fact, they think it's fun to have us drive for 15 minutes or more, while not getting paid and, more often than not, we get stuck with a worthless minimum ride for our trouble. In fact, they'll threaten to disconnect you if you cancel too many of these time consuming long rides to find the passenger.

William1964

I've had a couple of riders text me saying they were sorry. they have to cancel because they pinged their destination point instead of the pick up location.

theblackmetal09

Sometimes pax would put in a location outside of Midway/ORD/McCormick Place and get me to drive there and pic them up outside of that area. It's just people want cheap service without realizing that Uber deploys regular people like you all and me. Taxis can afford an car accident with a new car replacement, but we can't. People don't understand what lengths of what we go through.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Hey LEAF,

It's probably 50/50 stupid vs. scam. Has the same effect on you either way. Your only real defence is to call/txt and qualify these leads before moving the car. Some frown on this tactic, but for a 15 min pick I think it is perfectly acceptable and the Uber T/C doesn't specifically address this issue. For a 1.9 surge, I am calling them and working to "fill the order" (late night/crowded venue, I want to actually talk with this pin first and size him up). For a 1x fare, I am probably just as happy to collect my $4 SFR (Stupid Rider Fee).

I also think that "Uber Prank" may be this generations version of the "Pizza Your Neighbor Prank" we used to do back in the day. Remember when everyone still paid in cash, you'd call and order 5 pizzas to the house down the block. And then laugh hysterically when the guy knocked on the door and the owner was all, "WTF I didn't order any pizzas".

So this happened to me on Sat. I'm in TP, 8:00ish and near the concert park. I get a ping to a house in nearby Frankfort. It's 10 min but it's slow and I figure this guy "5 Star Matt" is probably going somewhere. I mean there's nothing in Frankfort, so from his house he's gotta be heading somewhere right? Get to the number, it's out in the boonies, but a pool party is happening so I figure this is a good un!

Rug rats running around everywhere, laughing and waving at me. Timer ticks away, "Matt" calls at 4 min doing the "Dude, where are you?" routine. He now tells me he's actually in TP near where I started from. Oh holy hell, here we go again. I let him babble a while before hanging up, 301 seconds elapse, hit cxl and pull away. A minute later, I am on the main street now, and get a ping from "5 Star Mandy" to the house that is next door to the one I was just at. I cxl, there are no other cars anywhere near us and she doesn't reorder.

So WTF...what are the odds that some random ass drunk dude at a TP bar accidentally pings me to a rural out of the way house, 60 seconds before a legitimate customer orders a ride. I mean, a billion to one maybe? Gotta be a jokester right? Kids all have smartphones, got a hold of mom's debit card and built some dummy accounts to play with the local Uber drivers. What else could it be?

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Oh, and to your OP, I think you may have a valid theory there. Very hard to judge either way but yes, some of these kids are just that devious so IDK. :confused:

The_Nerd

Stupidity. On a 1.9 search I would probably text and let them know I'm on the way to that address just to secure the ride. This way, if the address is incorrect, they can correct it.

This also happens on surge boarderzones . People just try and avoid the surge all together. Anytime a address for pickup is incorrect I just cancel wrong address shown and sign out. Even if it's a block away in my experience they down rate you because pax believe that you went to the wrong place to pick up.... even though you didn't.