Pax request U Turn to pick them up

kitchensink096

I've been driving for a while now (almost 4 months) and have had a few of these instances.

Last night I had one where I arrived on the opposite side of a busy road of the pickup point but the pax requested I do a U Turn before a busy intersection with a safety camera near it to pick him up as they were heading in the direction I just came from. I told him it's illegal (double lines) but he refused to comply. I had the option to go around a few blocks just to come back on the pax side and pick them up but I wasn't bothered. So I cancelled. Has anyone ever experienced this and what did you do?

Scotsman

Happened to me once. The guy was rude and asking to do the U-turn on the busy road. I just stayed where I was because it was illegal to do so. Just around 5 minutes, the guy cancelled himself and I received the cancellation fee.

I won't mind doing U-turn if it was safe and legal.

whyza

Happened to me once. The guy was rude and asking to do the U-turn on the busy road. I just stayed where I was because it was illegal to do so. Just around 5 minutes, the guy cancelled himself and I received the cancellation fee.

Exactly,driver's call as the driver bears responsibility for any consequences of breaking the road rules..

Jae Lee

I did once on elizabeth st at night but thinking back its stupit. I wouldnt do that again lol.

fields

Its actually more a failing of the app rather than the rider's fault. The app should work out you weren't the closest car, it was another driver who while physically further away, didn't need to do an illegal U-turn.

I wouldn't do a U-turn in a busy street but would go around the block. Rider has the option to cancel if he wants to.

It's not even the money, its the 3 points of your license. It's a lot harder to keep your license driving for Uber than it is to keep your rating above 4.5

whyza

Its actually more a failing of the app rather than the rider's fault. The app should work out you weren't the closest car, it was another driver who while physically further away, didn't need to do an illegal U-turn.

I wouldn't do a U-turn in a busy street but would go around the block. Rider has the option to cancel if he wants to.

It's not even the money, its the 3 points of your license. It's a lot harder to keep your license driving for Uber than it is to keep your rating above 4.5
Too right,with all those video cameras on Sydney streets, it is just a matter of time when one gets done

Derry

It happends to me too. It's the app problem it's leading us to the closest destination even the house where its situated on the street but lead to the back lane. One time i took a regret picking up a rider on anzac parade in kensington on a peak busy road, by the time i got to exact location and rider called said he was on the other side and complaining why iam on other side in angry way (bad sign) I said ill come over to you, it was so busy that it took bit of while to get there. When i arrived,opens the door and calling me that i wasted his time bla bla even i explained i was following the gps. At the end of trip, i got like 2-3* another time pick up rider to location, followed the gps and before i arrived to his address he called me and said i passed him and complained and swears this is the 2nd uber that passed him. Freezing night 8*c. I would not mind turning back to him but his attitude concerns me. I canceled him lol

So guys, when you see a bad sign coming from a rider like this and gives you bad attitude. Avoid it at all cost. Cancel the trip. It's not worth it.

kitchensink096

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was the address given for his side or the other?
Funny thing though the closest "address" was after the intersection but the pin was located before the intersection on the other side of the road.

There are times where I would do a U turn when it's not a busy road (like local suburban areas) but not on a main road or if it is a busy road, would turn right into a driveway and come back around. But in my instance last night there was no good option really

kitchensink096

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Did you have Mexican standoff and just look at each other?

Scotsman

Did you have Mexican standoff and just look at each other?
Haha! It was pretty similar. He was speaking to someone on the phone for about 2-3 minutes and then called me to do the U-turn to come to his side. I have tried my best to let him understand the road rules but he couldn't care. Well, I just stayed where I was for further 2 mins or so and he cancelled while looking at me. His rating was 4.1 which was evident in his attitude and anger.

Uber_Syd8

i had a rider at Elizabeth and Market, just outside St.James station. I was at the Sheraton and could see him. Called him to see if he would walk down the road so that I could pick him up. Guy wasnt answering his phone. So had to drive out on to Elizabeth and was opposite him and he motions for me to do a U turn. Shouted that we can go down Castlereagh to go south. Drove and waited out David Jones in the bay and waited for him to cancel. Picked up $10. Sweet.
Id10t !

UberSyd

i had a rider at Elizabeth and Market, just outside St.James station. I was at the Sheraton and could see him. Called him to see if he would walk down the road so that I could pick him up. Guy wasnt answering his phone. So had to drive out on to Elizabeth and was opposite him and he motions for me to do a U turn. Shouted that we can go down Castlereagh to go south. Drove and waited out David Jones in the bay and waited for him to cancel. Picked up $10. Sweet.
Id10t !
Yeah i love that spot at David Jones on Market St... I would always try and ask the pax if i can drop them or pickup from there if it was booked close. Had many shitty pax that would wait right at the corner of lights and want you to stop there which was a nightmare unless it was a red light and you were close to it

uberdoobie_uberdoobie

Had many shitty pax that would wait right at the corner of lights and want you to stop there which was a nightmare unless it was a red light and you were close to it
so all those annoying drivers who slow right down approaching green lights are Uber drivers ... hey, wait...I'm one.....

uberdoobie_uberdoobie

I love red lights since Uber! Where else will I drop off a passenger in the city?
yep... and they cull a few cyclists in the process .... love when they 'out-of-the-blue' shout at the lights, 'I will get out here thanks' as they are opening the door already .... I only manage about half of 'hang on, there's a cyclist coming throu.....oh, too late' ...

luvgurl22

I've been driving for a while now (almost 4 months) and have had a few of these instances.

Last night I had one where I arrived on the opposite side of a busy road of the pickup point but the pax requested I do a U Turn before a busy intersection with a safety camera near it to pick him up as they were heading in the direction I just came from. I told him it's illegal (double lines) but he refused to comply. I had the option to go around a few blocks just to come back on the pax side and pick them up but I wasn't bothered. So I cancelled. Has anyone ever experienced this and what did you do?
Cancel,cancel,cancel