Pax rating RIDE not DRIVER

Zaarc

did a pool ride yesterday. First pax was very nice and was even raving about how nice my car is (2019 Honda Insight). Second pax wasnt there, and I actually called him (yeah yeah, i know) only to find out he was at a different branch of the store Uber told me to go to. Most likely operator error on the part of the pax. I cancel him and go on to drop off pax 1. As she is getting out she tells me, "I will make sure to give you five stars. They app asked me how the ride was, and it wasnt going well so I gave it not five stars." I guess she was able to change her rating

I know I should not have taken the time to call pax 2 and TRY to straighten it out (in case he was just around the corner or at another entrance to the store) but it makes me wonder how often pax are rating based on the overall experience of the ride, rather than anything the driver did or did not do. The way she said it made me wonder if the Uber rider app is asking the wrong question about the overall ride instead of about the driver.

CJfrom619

The ride and the driver go hand and hand. You trying to separate the two but the driver is responsible for the ride experience. I think you have your answer when you tried to call a couple times. When your picking up a pool especially when your picking up additional passengers remember to never call or text the rider to find out where they are. A pool is meant to be quick and easy. The rider and you know where the pin location is set so the rider has no accuses. Give them the 2 minutes and move on if their not there. A rider will only call or text you to tell them that their at another location. Let the app set the location of the pickup not the rider.

Taksomotor

It is like sometimes on line you can see a review of let's say a power tool. You see a 1 star, and it says, the package came all messed up, and it was delivered to my neighbor's house and left under the rain for two days, cause my neighbor was on vacation. Ok. Does it have anything to do with quality of that tool? No! But the average is now 3.5 stars.

Or you see - 5 stars, and the review says, oh I haven't had a chance to use this power tool yet, but I got it yesterday and I love it, I can't wait to use it some day!

LOL

People are dumb, you can't expect people to make sense all the time.

Coachman

I've never done a pool ride. But it seems evident that if you do... you're introducing outside factors into each rider's experience that you have little or no control over.

And I assume that passengers are doing pool because they don't want to pay the full price for a ride in the first place. Is that right?

Las Vegas Dude

The ride and the driver go hand and hand. You trying to separate the two but the driver is responsible for the ride experience. I think you have your answer when you tried to call a couple times. When your picking up a pool especially when your picking up additional passengers remember to never call or text the rider to find out where they are. A pool is meant to be quick and easy. The rider and you know where the pin location is set so the rider has no accuses. Give them the 2 minutes and move on if their not there. A rider will only call or text you to tell them that their at another location. Let the app set the location of the pickup not the rider.
On pool rides you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I once waited the 2 minutes and took off and the 1st pax got mad and asked why I didn’t call or text the 2nd rider to see if they were close and said I was a jerk and gave me a low rating.

I would still take pool rides as for me in Vegas they are some of my most profitable rides and usually average 30 bucks an hour.

I haven’t had many issues with pool rides in Vegas.

Zaarc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never done a pool ride. But it seems evident that if you do... you're introducing outside factors into each rider's experience that you have little or no control over.

And I assume that passengers are doing pool because they don't want to pay the full price for a ride in the first place. Is that right?
True. And yeah, I guess you can get a bad driver rating because the other pax is a dick or whatever. This what I was getting at. Things beyond your control affecting your rating. I can't expect a rider to give me 5 stars if the other pax smells bad or says something racist or something. Uber ultimately judges us by these stars, but they are often determined by more than just how the driver did. Too bad they can't ask pax to rate the ride and rate the driver separately.
Post automatically merged:

On pool rides you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I once waited the 2 minutes and took off and the 1st pax got mad and asked why I didn’t call or text the 2nd rider to see if they were close and said I was a jerk and gave me a low rating.

I would still take pool rides as for me in Vegas they are some of my most profitable rides and usually average 30 bucks an hour.

Sometimes I will say something to the first passenger to see how they feel about it. I had one guy say, when I wanted to give the new pax some time to show up, "Yeah, I try to put myself in the other person's shoes." So yeah, I think from now on I will not just do one thing or the other without conferring with whoever is already in the car.

All that said, I don't really mind doing pool rides.

Last edited:

CJfrom619

Who cares what the othe pool rider thinks about you canceling on the other rider. You make the decisions not them. Worst they can do is give you a bad rating but ratings don’t matter so who cares...if your taking pool rides with additional pickups you should understand that your ratings will take a hit. Its an uncomfortable situation for most riders to be in a pool anyways so they will hit your rating down regardless. Im a veteran driver who could care less about ratings. I dont make decisions based on wether the rider is gonna give me a bad rating.

I’ve had similar rides to what your explaining in which the rider expresses his dislike of me canceling on the other rider. I dont respond to text or calls on a pool ride. This can offend the other riders. In these cases i have no problem explaining to the complaining rider that im the driver and i make they decisions.

Sometimes a pool rider will ask the other rider if they can get dropped off first because their in a hurry. I explain to both of them that its not there call who gets dropped off first...sit back and enjoy the ride.

Zaarc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who cares what the othe pool rider thinks about you canceling on the other rider. You make the decisions not them. Worst they can do is give you a bad rating but ratings don’t matter so who cares...if your taking pool rides with additional pickups you should understand that your ratings will take a hit. Its an uncomfortable situation for most riders to be in a pool anyways so they will hit your rating down regardless. Im a veteran driver who could care less about ratings. I dont make decisions based on wether the rider is gonna give me a bad rating.

I’ve had similar rides to what your explaining in which the rider expresses his dislike of me canceling on the other rider. I dont respond to text or calls on a pool ride. This can offend the other riders. In these cases i have no problem explaining to the complaining rider that im the driver and i make they decisions.

Sometimes a pool rider will ask the other rider if they can get dropped off first because their in a hurry. I explain to both of them that its not there call who gets dropped off first...sit back and enjoy the ride.
If they agree to it you might get a longer ride out of it, which is a good thing, right?